Fretless Treble Action

Reaction score
Hey y’all, recently got a ‘96 Streamer Stage I fretless, and I’ve been having trouble getting the G string action lower. The bridge is slammed, as well as the saddle. I’ve filed the saddle a bit as well as filed the lower bridge piece to try and get the bridge to sit lower in the cavity. Is there anything else I should do to try and fix this? Has anyone had a similar issue? Pic of E string action versus G string action for comparison.

Attachments

• 715B7C74-1699-442A-9935-9BC6DBEC0B3C.jpeg
    715B7C74-1699-442A-9935-9BC6DBEC0B3C.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 188
  • 5CFC3910-6A67-4FB9-BBA0-E9F66FCAA551.jpeg
    5CFC3910-6A67-4FB9-BBA0-E9F66FCAA551.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 204
  • 413D2FFC-1337-411D-B7AE-9FC7751A432D.jpeg
    413D2FFC-1337-411D-B7AE-9FC7751A432D.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 207

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Not to be that guy that's states the obvious...but I don't see any mention of the nut. Down on that side as far as can go?

Reaction score
Not to be that guy that's states the obvious...but I don't see any mention of the nut. Down on that side as far as can go?
Yes. Pretty much slammed as well across all strings. It’s pretty buttery but it just feels weird that the G string is higher.

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Is it low at the nut, but high closer to the bridge?

Possible twist in the neck? How does it look... looking down it? That's all I can think of. Maybe a slight twist lowering that side.

Reaction score
Is it low at the nut, but high closer to the bridge?

Possible twist in the neck? How does it look... looking down it? That's all I can think of. Maybe a slight twist lowering that side.
Not twisted from what I can tell. It doesn’t really seem like substantially higher toward the bridge. It’s ever so slightly chokey in a few spots. It’s almost like Warwick did not route the bridge cavity deep enough. Something I noticed in this video: the bridge is almost flush with the body and there’s little divots accommodate for the intonation screws which I’ve seen on Warwicks before...

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Over time the shape of Streamer bodies has been pretty diverse, especially how thick the body is and along with that how much the neck, bridge and pickups are placed/raised from the body surface.

I take it the truss rod is already set up for a nearly straight neck curve?

I would have a luthier route another 2mm deeper into that bridge cavity. Probably a job that won't cost much.

Reaction score
Over time the shape of Streamer bodies has been pretty diverse, especially how thick the body is and along with that how much the neck, bridge and pickups are placed/raised from the body surface.

I take it the truss rod is already set up for a nearly straight neck curve?

I would have a luthier route another 2mm deeper into that bridge cavity. Probably a job that won't cost much.
Truss rod is adjusted and the neck is as straight as I want it to be. If the bridge cavity was routed to be deeper wouldn’t my luthier need to make those little divots with a dremel?

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I think he will simply make a plywood template and use that to route the existing cavity deeper an extra couple of mm.

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score
`

Truss rod is adjusted and the neck is as straight as I want
it to be. If the bridge cavity was routed to be deeper wouldn’t
my luthier need to make those little divots with a dremel?

In theory, you need the divots to access the intonation
screws. But theory does not apply here cuz it's fretless.
Just set the saddles into a typical pattern and then you
never adjust them again. Many of my fave FL basses
have no intonation adjustment at all. Don't need it.

I often fantasize about replacing the entire bridge with
a carved wooden block, with a bridge bone set into it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom