Cool Films You've Seen Lately

Reaction score
I want to see the film about Aretha Franklin singing in a Los Angles church.

Reaction score
I've been on a bit of a sci-fi kick lately, but unfortunately I can't really recommend too much of what I've seen. I did watch THX1138 thanks to @ectoflanger. That was pretty good, but you've probably already seen it. Another Earth was OK, but it was a little thin on the "sci". Almost more new-agey.
For your sci-fi kick you might try these films- I consider them B grade but fun to watch-
Impostor
Sceamers

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
Forgot to tell you I saw Tarantino's ONCE UPPON A TIME... IN HOLLYWOOD and I liked it a lot... specially the photography, the colours, them ambiences. Nice movie to clear your eyes from a "superheroes overdose". ;)

a3378998b6e42c1f2712229459b1ac78b4a24776.jpg

Hector

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to seeing the new Joker film.... From what I've read, it sounds like the type of film I'll enjoy...

I watched You Were Never Really Here the other night, tough but a good film in my opinion...

Reaction score
Ok cheers
I thought the series was due to finish with the closing of Cowley Station.

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
Horror movie October rolls on in my house.

Last night I finally, after almost 40 years, got to see the second half of Alien. You see, when I was a very young child, my parents took me to a double feature at the drive in. The first movie was probably Star Wars or something, I forget. We got through the second movie up until the part when the baby alien busts out through the guy's chest cavity, and my parents were like "OK, I think that's enough" and we went home. And I never watched the film again until last night. I found it quite enjoyable, but not particularly frightening. I guess I find it hard to get creeped out about something that could only happen in deep space.

Tonight I watched Sleepy Hollow. I can't believe it came out 20 years ago, and I'm just getting around to it now. The original story has a lot of local significance in the town where I grew up. The character Ichabod Crane was based on a schoolteacher from Kinderhook NY, who was a friend of the author Washington Irving. I once attended a grammar school called Ichabod Crane, and many local businesses have names that reference Sleepy Hollow in one way or another. There is a real Sleepy Hollow as well, but it's quite a bit further south than Kinderhook. Anyhow, as you might expect from Tim Burton, the film is more stylish than scary, but it's a great bit of fun.

PaulS

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
My lord, you just watched all of Alien? So I’m guessing you’ve never seen any of the sequels? Aliens is one of my fave movies, though it is very different from Alien.

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
No, I've never seen any of the sequels. I guess I'll have to add Aliens to my queue.

PaulS

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
It’s much more of an action movie whereas Alien is more of a horror/suspense film. But a great fun movie, with a million quotable bits, half of them from the great, late Bill Paxton

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
So I've been back in sci-fi mode, and I've been watching a series of movies I had originally avoided thinking they would be too juvenile. I speak of The Hunger Games. I've now seen the first three, and I've got the fourth one here. I have to say: I'm hooked. First of all, the cast is a dream: Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Stanley Tucci, Donald Sutherland, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Julianne Moore, plus the talented young Jennifer Lawrence in the protagonist's role, just to name a few. Even Lenny Kravitz turns out to be an excellent actor. It also happens to be a great story, full of moral ambiguities and a real human heart.

I love these types of stories: rebellion against a dystopian future state. Everything from Star Wars to V for Vendetta to The Matrix fits this mold. My GF just recommended I check out the Divergent franchise. Any other recommendations along these lines?

PaulS

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I think the maze runner series is like that, although I haven’t seen them. Mortal engines is kind of a steam punk take on that theme.

Reaction score
So I've been back in sci-fi mode, and I've been watching a series of movies I had originally avoided thinking they would be too juvenile. I speak of The Hunger Games. I've now seen the first three, and I've got the fourth one here. I have to say: I'm hooked. First of all, the cast is a dream: Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Stanley Tucci, Donald Sutherland, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Julianne Moore, plus the talented young Jennifer Lawrence in the protagonist's role, just to name a few. Even Lenny Kravitz turns out to be an excellent actor. It also happens to be a great story, full of moral ambiguities and a real human heart.

I love these types of stories: rebellion against a dystopian future state. Everything from Star Wars to V for Vendetta to The Matrix fits this mold. My GF just recommended I check out the Divergent franchise. Any other recommendations along these lines?

Though they date back to 1966 and 1976, respectively, I would recommend Fahrenheit 451 and Logan’s Run.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
None. I only watch documentaries nowadays.

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
Wow, Logan's Run ! Loved it. The TV Series, Too.
Seen the Joker.
Well.
It was a really, really great movie, Joaquin Phoenix's play was top notch, oscar-stuff.
But I didn't really liked it. This movie was a great Wine, and I'm a Cola guy.

@Bassist4Eris rebellion and dystopian future ? The Divergent and Maze Runner series are OK (teen stuff but OK.)
If you're on Netflix, I'd say check out The Giver, Extinction, and the Series Altered Carbon.
There also are some pure Gems in the series Death Love Robots, too.

PaulS

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Altered Carbon was kind of wacky but I enjoyed it a lot. And for sure some good shorts in the DLR series.

Top Bottom