1994 Streamer Bo 5 - Should It Stay Or Should It Go?

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score
`

Have no problem with nonWick 5 strings
of various widths .... but much much as I
love a Wick-4, their normal 5 is a horror
for me. Tried a few years back, and tried
again more recently. My problem is not
the spacing. It's the shape. Too squarish
and deep for such a flat radius FB.

OTOH, I have found that the Wick Broad
Neck 5 is verrrrrry comfy. Unfortunately,
my comfy neck is on an uncomfy body. I
found my Thumb BN5 is anti-ergonomic
in all aspects except the neck itself. But it
does sound terrific, very versatile, thus I
keep torturing myself trying to get used
to it. No progress at all in over a year :-(

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
So its bugging me a little, and I do want to become a better bassist, and muso in general. So If figure I'm going to try and revert back to BEADG, and get my head around using that B string more (especially the fretted D and E notes). Part of the struggle for me is keeping all the strings quiet while I figure out how I adjust to the extra string at the top. It's like a mental shift that needs to happen, as it's a totally different feel for the right hand. I think it's a muscle memory/feel thing rather that just comes with practice.

Don't forget, it's perfectly doable! :) And please do keep us up to date with your progress or any feedback/advice you may need. Have fun with your new string! :)

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Hi there, new to the forum and hoping for some advice from the Warwick gurus.

I mainly play acoustic and electric guitar in a worship team, but need to fill in on bass every now and then as a fill in.

I purchased a Yamaha RBX170 4 string in 2012 with an Eden 50w practice amp, and really got into it. To the point where I actually began to prefer bass to guitar at one point. So I sold a really nice acoustic to fund my first "proper" bass, the 94 Warwick 5er.

I have had the above said Streamer for about 18 months now. I love the sound and the look, but I'm struggling with the feel, and maybe struggling to adapt to that low B. I'm playing those fretted E's and D's and they sound cool at times. But the Open E string on a 4 string just makes sense to me as a guitarist, and I feel like I'm playing less fluidly with the Warwick 5er. It's like I keep thinking the E string on the 5er is an A string, and the A string is the D string etc. I'm having to do mental gymnastics before I play a note and so I'm losing the groove a bit. I fully accept I dont play enough bass, but I also dont have enough time with a young family and work.

So, I think the questions to the bassists who are also guitarists is,

Does moving from guitar to a 5er and back become more natural with time, or will I always need to be working this out as I play?

Do I flip this awesome bass and go back to a 4 string, because it will always be easier, and I can just enjoy it?

Any one switch between 4 and 5 without a problem?

Any help appreciated. Cheers.
Yeah, I remember when I switch to 5 strings, it was weird. Attepting playing 4 strings after was even weirder. Somehow I managed to use the low B as thumb rest and find the E string, but coming back to 4 was really confising in the beginning.
It time it will become natural, one piece of advice is do not think it as a 4 strings bass with some extra notes, but learn it as it is, do some drills on it (arpeggios, scales, etc)
Now I can play switch back and forth 5 and 4 strings without being confused at all, and while being really comfortable on 5 strings now, I find 4 strings basses to be more fun to play with. But if you need that low B, than 5 strings it is :)
YOu will need to adapt the technique a bit for 5 strings, as the low B feels different than E and A, and you want to have a consistent sound. To me a lighter touch, and doing all the drills starting from low B solved this.

Reaction score
Yeh, the lighter touch is definitely a thing. I was practicing a bit a few days ago and I found that I made less mistakes and felt more in control of the E string by almost stroking the strings instead of plucking them. I'm using my thumb as an anchor on the B and keeping my pinky on the E for muting. Moving from the A to E is okay. But moving back is quickly is quite tricky.

But like many have said, it's all doable. Just practice. The bass still needs a good setup, so that will also help in the future. Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Reaction score
Thinking about setups, Im probably going to have a crack at it myself. YouTube is a great resource.

I've read somewhere that Streamer LX's require super long scale strings. Is that true? The BO is a 34", so I'm thinking standard long scale will be fine

My thinking is to go for a medium B (135) nickel taperwound to try and get maximum tension. I'll need to straighten the neck and then raise the nut screws quite a bit to try and increase tension.

Hope I'm thinking along the right lines here?

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score
`

Doesn't matter which 34" Wick you have,
all have the same scale, same bridge, and
same stoptail. I just use standard length
strings, no problem.

As to raising the nut to increase tension,
I can't see the point. If anything, higher
tension will allow the lowest possible nut
without the buzz you'd get from flabbier
strings. A high nut will also make your
lowest two frets play sharp.

Higher tension also allows for a flatter
neck and lower action before buzz sets
in. If I choose high tension, it's for the
sound, not for the more difficult left
hand work, so I'd set minimum relief
and low action. But maybe you have a
different reason for increasing tension ?

==========================

I have a low opine of you tube experts.
They are not useless. But watch enuf
versions of what you need that allows
for "distilling" out the correct version
of the basic principles ... then beware
of subjective stuff, slike "why" a given
presenter prefers certain choices from
things that are adjustable to personal
taste or preference.

If you tube taught you how to do a set
up, good that now you know how. Use