Spot The Warwick!

kimgee

Wenge Taste Tester
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Real Name
depends on who's asking
Here's another Warwick in action. But, it's a bassist named Vicky Warwick, and she plays a Fender! That's just wrong...........

Reaction score
Real Name
Cliff Hairston
Doug Wimbish of Living Colour in 1993 playing a Streamer Stage II 4 on MTV:

When I first saw that performance it finally clicked how he was getting the slap sound he was getting. I started working on that technique during that performance and still play with it now, especially when I'm trying to do anything that Ryan from Mudvayne/Soften the Glare plays. I found it odd even then to see him playing that bass though as he usually plays Spectors.

Reaction score
Real Name
Rehan
When I first saw that performance it finally clicked how he was getting the slap sound he was getting. I started working on that technique during that performance and still play with it now, especially when I'm trying to do anything that Ryan from Mudvayne/Soften the Glare plays. I found it odd even then to see him playing that bass though as he usually plays Spectors.

Yes these days he’s playing and endorsing his Spector basses, but he was also an official Warwick endorser for many years and must have been during the the Stain album period (for the tour that the live video is from), he played both his Warwick and Spector basses on the album according to his Bass Player Magazine cover story around that time. :)

All the videos referenced below are from the Stain album and he's playing a different Warwick bass in each of the 4 videos.

In this official video for Leave It Alone, he's playing the same Streamer Stage II 4 as in that live performance of the same song:

He's playing a Thumb NT 6 in this video although they don't show him a lot in the vid:

In this video he's playing a White High Polish Thumb 4:

...and in this video, he's playing a White Fretless Thumb 4:

Last edited:

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Accept! Love them with Tornillo. \m/

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Cool! First time I've seen John Deacon with a Wick.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
I watched this whole clip thinking what a nice sound and wondering what kind of bass this is, until the lights hit the bassist. Check it out, it's a very cool listen as well.

Reaction score
I watched this whole clip thinking what a nice sound and wondering what kind of bass this is, until the lights hit the bassist. Check it out, it's a very cool listen as well.

Oh, I liked that very much, Jester. Loved the melody and timbre of the vocals as well as the composition and structure of the song.

Made me feel like getting out of bed after being down with allergies all day.

Last edited:

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Oh, I liked that very much, Jester. Loved the melody and timbre of the vocals as well as the composition and structure of the song.

Made me feel like getting out of bed after being down with allergies all day.

Glad you enjoyed it James. I was thinking as I was listening "Prog music that doesn't bust your balls". What nice textures these guys build in there. And the drummer, just wow.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Thank you so much for sharing this; it's the best version I've ever heard!
You're welcome! The track is absolutely one of the most magical ever written - Yes at their best.
This version dropped my jaw too when I discovered it. Also, Jon Anderson is a total beast live.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Real Name
Kevin
Last month my son saw The Wailers in Pittsburgh and Aston “Family Man” Barrett was playing a six string Corvette! I’ll try to upload a video shot of “get up stand up” as soon as I can figure out how to

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Last month my son saw The Wailers in Pittsburgh and Aston “Family Man” Barrett was playing a six string Corvette! I’ll try to upload a video shot of “get up stand up” as soon as I can figure out how to

Just use YouTube.

Myh

Reaction score
Joan Armatrading - Willov. Spotting a 5 string Thumb played by Pino Palladino

Top Bottom