All Bass Guitar Scales

Reaction score
I spent the last 6mo trying to catch up on theory but have to confess I have had zero need for the matter yet.

I make up my melodies using vocals, I never know which scales or even notes I sing until I accompany it with an instrument and work from there. On a guitar I keep trying different chords I know the shape of and it becomes a song.

So here's a bold statement:

In rock music you don't need ANY knowledge of scales. Musicallity is something you're born with.

Musicality is a practicable skill/disclipine/art

Not sure that there's ever been a player that's truly had no knowledge of musical terms or theory.

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
I spent the last 6mo trying to catch up on theory but have to confess I have had zero need for the matter yet.

I make up my melodies using vocals, I never know which scales or even notes I sing until I accompany it with an instrument and work from there. On a guitar I keep trying different chords I know the shape of and it becomes a song.

So here's a bold statement:

In rock music you don't need ANY knowledge of scales. Musicallity is something you're born with.

IMHO, practicing scales is a great way to learn how to take what you're hearing in your head and connect it with where your fingers go on the instrument. It's ear training, muscle memory, and fretboard knowledge, all rolled into a single exercise.

Reaction score
IMHO, practicing scales is a great way to learn how to take what you're hearing in your head and connect it with where your fingers go on the instrument. It's ear training, muscle memory, and fretboard knowledge, all rolled into a single exercise.

You did a post on Diminished Harmony and Funk licks
Was that on the old site?

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
You did a post on Diminished Harmony and Funk licks
Was that on the old site?

Yeah, it was on the old site. The short version of it is this: funk music has three common bass moves hiding inside the dominant diminished scale: the minor third to the major third, the augmented fourth to the perfect fifth, and the major sixth to the minor seventh.

Top Bottom