Quiet D/g Strings

Reaction score
I’ve got a ‘94 fortress and love it but for a while now I’ve been struggling with quiet D&G strings! Gigged it last night and the E/A cut through but when I played anywhere on the D/G strings it was as if I wasn’t playing at all, I could hardly hear the notes! I’ve raised the D/G side pup and lowered the E/A side but still same? I play flats and have same flats on my ‘99 FNA (which doesn’t suffer from the problem) action is low and very little neck relief. Any ideas?

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
Hello there,

Most of the time this is solved adjusting pickup height as you said you did. But, sometimes it is not only a thing of pup height.
Check neck and bridge setup too.

If problem persists, try different strings. May be the set of strings you are using.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Are the strings also more quiet when playing without amplification? What is the distance between the pickups and the E and G strings?
If I am correct the fortress has passive pickups, this means distance from the strings makes a lot of difference. 2-3mm should be good.

Reaction score
Cheers guys, I’ve reset the pup heights and stuck on a fresh set of strings, gigging it tomorrow so will see if this helps

Reaction score
For reference it did have passive pups but I’ve swapped them out for a set of Schaller pbass pups and active MEC jazz bridge pup! Dunno if that makes a difference?

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Well there's your problem.

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
For reference it did have passive pups but I’ve swapped them out for a set of Schaller pbass pups and active MEC jazz bridge pup! Dunno if that makes a difference?
That could be the source of your problem, yes...

Reaction score
Well the fresh strings certainly helped a bit! Still struggled compared to E/A strings . Got home after gig and thought right! Let’s attack it! Adjusted truss and gave a little more relief than I had, also played with saddles. I noticed that the spacing I had meant the G string was sitting at the edge of the magnet inside the pickup so moved saddle inward a little and adjusted all saddle spacing. To my ears it seems it may of helped however not gigging till next weekend now so won’t know for sure till then

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni

Is your neck P passive? Are you still using your old potentiometers?

Last edited:
Top Bottom