Rb Corvette $$ Top String Issue/pickups?

Reaction score
Hello, recently new to a 4 string RB corvette $$ 2017 passive model with series/parallel stock setup, love the bass however I do have an issue with the top string/E string. All the other strings sound fine but the top string seems to be quite louder/boomy than the rest. Its so significant it makes my bass amps (tested on several) sound like they are farting/distorting out. Even band members have commented on "whats up with that string?"

Is this normal?
IF so can I do something to the electronics to fix this or a different set of pickups?

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum buddy
First check the pickup setup, how close is to the string. MM type pickups need bigger space- let's say 4mm for the bridge pickup, and 4 mm for neck pickup with string pressed at 24th fret.

Marcoelwray

Commercial User
Reaction score
Real Name
Marco
That's a weird situation. I seriously doubt about BOTH pickups dead on one pole. Due the coils design, it's most likely… impossible.
Like Flo said wisely, first things is to check hardware setup. Plus some basics:

Is the E string seems normal to you? tension, placement, saddle posture…
I Don't know much about RB, but if there's a passive option, does it still do the same thing without the EQ?
If not, when tweaking the controls, everything's fine?

I'll go for a preamp issue but this is really odd. Why just on the E string? Hardware need to be checked first

Florin

OG
Reaction score
If strings are too close, AND bass bosted on EQ, E string might sound as he describes with any MM type bass.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
That's a weird situation. I seriously doubt about BOTH pickups dead on one pole. Due the coils design, it's most likely… impossible.
Like Flo said wisely, first things is to check hardware setup. Plus some basics:

Is the E string seems normal to you? tension, placement, saddle posture…
I Don't know much about RB, but if there's a passive option, does it still do the same thing without the EQ?
If not, when tweaking the controls, everything's fine?

I'll go for a preamp issue but this is really odd. Why just on the E string? Hardware need to be checked first

It is in fact possible to have such manifestations with a broken preamp. If you have say a shelving bass control at 40Hz and for some obscure reason the preamp is stuck to bass on full (perhaps due to a problematic pot or solder) you will have a very boomy low B string or even E string. In my opinion it is much more probable that the pickups are just too close to the string due to poor setup like you guys said.

Marcoelwray

Commercial User
Reaction score
Real Name
Marco
Agreed. But the A string at octave deliver a lot of lows too.... Not 40hz but it should sound not properly.

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem but with a Thumb BO 5. When I dig into any string it has a clipping/distortion sound to it. I know these basses can take hard playing because Andy Irvin beats them senseless. I also play pretty hard and have never had this issue before.

I've tried the following:
3 different amp/cab configurations:
ie, svt4pro > 2x12 tc electronics, ampeg v4bh > ampeg 2x10, Mesa > eden 4x10
I've lowered the pickups BELOW Warwicks recommended settings via their youtube videos.
I've just replaced the preamp with the same model. It's brand new of course.
Brand new 9v battery of course.
2 different instrument cables.
2 different homes
Played in passive mode, same result.

Is there a chance that on the active pickups the preamps are failing? That's the only thing left to do.

I hope some Warwick engineer is around because I don't want to waste anymore money! :) I never thought I'd have to be troubleshooting a Warwick bass. Pretty heartbreaking and expensive honestly.

Marcoelwray

Commercial User
Reaction score
Real Name
Marco
Depending where you are based, it may be interesting to send the defect pickup to someone to test it...

Reaction score
Depending where you are based, it may be interesting to send the defect pickup to someone to test it...[/QUOTE

Yeah. I'd like to know any ways I can test the pickups themselves. Not just the magnets, but the actual electronics in them. Active pickups have a preamp so they HAVE to fail at some point and there has to be a way to test them.

I've tested the resistances, if I recall I was getting around 9.4 and 9.6 from them. I can't find the specs of what to expect for these pickups but they were in the same ball park. I would think it would be more electrical than a magnet issue.

Please help!

Marcoelwray

Commercial User
Reaction score
Real Name
Marco
IMHO, it'll be hard to test.

Personally I'll would go for sending a wave with a freq. Gen. And check it with a scope.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
That's a tough nut to crack there @reebis. Wish I could offer some recommendation.

Marcoelwray

Commercial User
Reaction score
Real Name
Marco
And I don't want to be the bitch there but if you changed everything and the problem is still there........ Without any equipment there is a lot of chances it comes from the pickups. Both it's strange but possible if someone did a mistake with the wiring....

Marcoelwray

Commercial User
Reaction score
Real Name
Marco
And in case of, maybe MEC are cheaper (I doubt) but Delano MC 4 AL is a nice replacement. If you're inside UE, my best price is 223 euros. (I hope you'll find another way but at least it's a reference if you need to change them)

Reaction score
IMHO, it'll be hard to test.

Personally I'll would go for sending a wave with a freq. Gen. And check it with a scope.[/QUOTE

What kind of scope? I’d like to learn how to test them.

That’s what I was thinking, that it was my pickups. It’s the same issue before switching my preamp. I don’t see it being a bad wiring job. How to test the wiring? A multimeter on which leads?

I dont know about using a different brand. I like Warwick tones and if not a growly punch. Finding some that fit proves difficult.

Top Bottom