Warwick Nobby Meidel Bass Lh Lefty Left Handed

Reaction score
A Nobby is rare in itself... and this is a LH model! Currently stringed up for right handed people.
This beauty does have some spots but overall is in good condition. Note, a lot of rosewood here! No Wengé, 24 frets.. being one of the earlier Nobbies. Unfortunately it comes without a case or stand. Price: € 1300, you are welcome to try it in Enschede (the Netherlands).

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Chris messaged me and asked about an oddity here. It's a head scratcher.

This is obviously a rare left handed Nobby....yet the brass strap rod is in the right handed position and there is no way to switch it lefty. There is a little brass plate base, that is sunk into the body a little bit on Nobby's and it holds the brass strap rod in place. I don't see any mod/patch on this one, where the "normal" left-handed base plate would have been. There is no way to "put this back" to a left-handed set-up. It's as if it was made a lefty and before it left the factory, was fashioned for a right-hand orientation. There is a rear strap button hole in the proper left-handed position (maybe from a left hand player who owned it?). Strange.

When Chris got this, he was told it was #3 and that (I think I recall he said) Nobby may have owned it personally or something. I actually thought it was not #3, due to the rear strap button placement and rounded top control knobs (first few versions had flat top knobs). Now I'm not sure I was right. Could be aftermarket knobs and maybe the traditional rear strap button hole was not exactly in it's traditional spot for the first run of Nobby's, due to some customization. Hmmm.

Also, the pick-up routing is for a righty. The P pups would be reversed if this was routed for a lefty. Regardless...it's a beauty, but this is indeed a bit strange.

As a reference, here's my righty...
IMG_20181227_111504__01__01_1545938258198.jpg

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Haha yes! Expect a response in like 5 min.

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Hahaha yes

"added mysticism"

For real though.

kimgee

Wenge Taste Tester
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Real Name
depends on who's asking
Perhaps the original owner intended to play it like an upright bass. If it were mounted on an appropriate stand and had a pad, or something, to simulate the upper bout edge, like many EUBs have, the control layout and output jack location would make sense.

Top Bottom