=The Warwick Dolphin Club=

Reaction score
hi guys,
I am writing topics to sell several warwick basses... a SS1 n°343 Paddle head, a Ibanez ST980 8 Strings... and this one :

hope some one will enjoy it.
It is a perfect 5 string bass.... but I am a 4String bass palayer ... definitely ... I can tell you that this bass is a real wonder.

anyway... let's gooooOOOOo :)

Attachments

• entier 1.jpg
    entier 1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 304

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I can confirm the tone is indeed awesome and very present in any mix. I mostly use it with the tone settings neutral, pickups balance either 50/50 or 66/33 towards the neck pickup. On cheap in-house stacks I do dial in a wee bit of extra bottom end.

It is the best Warwick I have owned so far.

Stainless

Guard of the Fortress
Reaction score
The '89 bridge pickup is not only Bartolini, but also a humbucker instead of a twin jazz. It has a different shape and only 3 screws intead of the 4 a twinjazz has. AFAIK all Dolphins from this age were Boire (aka African rosewood). The MEC twin jazz pickup did not exist before 1991.
Do you know when Warwick/MEC started with the twin jazz pickup?

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Ooh sexy! How are those new controls? I have the older stacked vol/bal and stacked treb/bass (pull the latter to switch TJ coil mode) and am wondering if this can be considered an upgrade.

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Curious if anyone has any pics of Pro 1's from '88, or if there are any made in '88? A Google search shows the only mention being a black one sold on Basschat, but even that apparently was not proven to be a '88. I skimmed over 30 or so pages of the club here and only see '89's being the earliest ones mentioned. Granted, I didn't look at every page on here. Forgive me for not doing a super through look, but I was just wondering if anyone knew offhand.

I know the stated start date of Pro 1's has always been '88...but I can't find any proven examples. I read that they first made an appearance at a guitar show in '89, but the first ones were supposedly made in late '88. I know Kimgee owns B 019 89, which would be February in all likelihood. If the 19th Pro 1 was made in the second month of '89...how many, if any, were made in '88?

Reaction score
That is my actual bass.
Same layout as a bolt on thumb. Vol, balance, bass/treble and the switch is a coil tap.

1235050010GZOVAWWW_03.jpg

The latest incarnation of the one bass we all fear and love has three pots and a switch where the older ones have just two stacked pots. (which looks a hell of a lot better)
Layout from what I understand is vol (pull for passive), bal, stacked bass+treb. This does not add any new possibilities.

The switch though has me puzzled. Is this a two way or a three way switch? IE does it switch between two modes like the old dolphins or does it now allow single/series/parallel?
A man does not know.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Aha so it is actually just a knob layout thing rather then it having more options for tweaking its sound.
They are such awesome basses. I have been growing more and more attached to mine since venturing out to different brands and models and eventho in some situations the sound of my Fender Marcus Miller V or Zon Sonus is a great fit in the mix, I always prefer to play the Dolphin. It's neck shape and fretwork just feel so slick and fast it is an absolute pleasure to play this instrument.

Reaction score
Unfortunately the dolphin may be going up for sale. If anyone might be interested, PM me. 2016 masterbuilt pro 1

Reaction score
Curious if anyone has any pics of Pro 1's from '88, or if there are any made in '88? A Google search shows the only mention being a black one sold on Basschat, but even that apparently was not proven to be a '88. I skimmed over 30 or so pages of the club here and only see '89's being the earliest ones mentioned. Granted, I didn't look at every page on here. Forgive me for not doing a super through look, but I was just wondering if anyone knew offhand.

I know the stated start date of Pro 1's has always been '88...but I can't find any proven examples. I read that they first made an appearance at a guitar show in '89, but the first ones were supposedly made in late '88. I know Kimgee owns B 019 89, which would be February in all likelihood. If the 19th Pro 1 was made in the second month of '89...how many, if any, were made in '88?

I've got heaps of old Bass and Guitar Mags IIRC there is Dolphin reviews

Reaction score
Hi, just registering as a paid up member of the dolphin club here.

Bought my Pro1 from a bloke on Basschat a couple of years ago and got it shipped in from Portugal. It's a bit of an odd one in that it has an ebony board and stainless frets. The seller claimed it was a custom shop special, but I reckon it started life as a fretless.

Had actually wanted a 5-string - especially one with a stripey wenge neck, but saw this one and got immediate GAS. In fact it later transpired that what I'd been after, having heard one played by Schalk Joubert at a Michelle Shocked gig, was a Bart loaded Afzelia broadneck, .. I had no idea Warwick's bass line up was so complicated - or that those particular dolphins were so rare!

Anyway this Ovangkol and Ebony one with its Mec pickups is still a beaut ... shame about the gold hardware, but y'know, it's the sound that counts. Still want a 5-string Warwick though (poss not a dolphin, maybe a streamer ... but which one, choices choices.)

zdKjvyah3TxJF52UnKAlzNBHhS_izuyQAMb1wAkAtbMuOixYR_fc-kk7-NWdx-Hdg8TWRe9uayM9b4YXp4Zpd8jiRGh6P_FpcnhrjfBItIS439aPM0gNRZY59olGSwKhY-DFRACmeBeJ8nc3Gykp-R40W4e03BHGkgM891jOzUUQGI7xprH2y335wZIrF5kNitjjlcQ6Gzs-eslu-AjEE-9dqMXvtdCXY3whC7lp9AkVDvt2AbCCij43g928TTwG8NM0zHTdhsd2_l4kCzpxOHeO0TnDl2WZh_TnmBUB72x5FNjsHpYXQYSNEr3dHJSqQPcA-Gon9ZGBtYlN_88aDY-IpiFpWE07zYtg0iZ4YcPm1XaXyzrpp23Dug5Zs8REwgg_x4OUkPqKz4fRDkCwldGgliyEKatBBxbpx8vQZITPm1V3tCNX5yZWHWtgCMO6H5u72oYDVK8cA2sfg3dy3OpTSKDoylyGPxO1Hw2yXshwlTwpi-hK2zZJPNfA-K7VmXBPCWMsXjthjHzyKGtKkDKsYPtoAg53spE9ScFDgBZJsOGdU-qN75qrHAydz1hnquce4DJF_Chtc0zS3gY_Dk0nTtr488wCApXYwnCgIBMm2gUR76P16i9gNW0Sy_kS1kYFeJQuhRb9J6y4MU7lfcp9=w400-h806-no

Top Bottom