Warwick Led History/reliability

StreamerII84

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
Real Name
Alex
Does anyone know when Warwick started installing LEDs into their basses? Any known issues over the years? It looks like other than replacing a switch or two they are pretty solid.

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
There may be earlier examples...but for sure at least in 1990. The first Jack Bruce LTD had LED's.

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I don´t know when they started doing it self, but the first LEDs were installed by Martin Sims:

simscustom

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
So '90 is the earliest confirmed so far? Gotta be one before the JB ltd...but maybe not?

cygma

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
My '87 Streamer has LEDs. Still working fine :)

P1090349.jpg

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Gotcha. That would definitely be the earliest known example, if original. Either way...that looks awesome.

And I love the quirkiness of 80's Wicks. You can tell by those LED's, how uneven the dots were placed sometimes. Both of mine have side dots that are not lined up exactly perfect. It's funny, endearing :) Probably partly due to the more rounded edge of the fret board on the early ones. Must have been hard to get em in a perfect line.

Especially on my JD. The first side dot is hilariously low compared to the rest.

cygma

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Yeah, lets say the paint job on mine definitely has character as well. It seems like this is more normal for the older basses though.
These older models definitely have their own unique stories :)

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
For sure. I love it. It's character. My '87 also has an original paint job. The paint line runs through the middle of most dots, but completely goes under a few of em :)

Reaction score
Hey Cyg.... Are those original?

Most likely, given that it would be very difficult, if not impossible to route the wiring into the neck after assembly. It's a lot of work even during assembly according to a luthier friend of mine and problematic with bolt on necks--that's why luminescent markers are generally preferred by instrument builders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Most likely, given that it would be very difficult, if not impossible to route the wiring into the neck after assembly. It's a lot of work even during assembly according to a luthier friend of mine and problematic with bolt on necks--that's why luminescent markers are generally preferred by instrument builders.

For sure very difficult, but everything has a price, of course :)

As Hardy mentioned above, Martin Sims was Warwicks LED guy in the beginning. No doubt you've heard of his custom shop. He's been doing LED installs since '94. He's done a bunch of Warwicks...post production. It's very doable. Just expensive.

44.jpg

06.jpg

I hope I'm wrong, because it would be cool to see an '87 with original LEDs...but I'm still doubtful.

Reaction score
I stand corrected and thank you for the cool pics! The first time I ever heard of a bass having LED's was reading an interview of John Entwhistle in Guitar Player magazine where he talked about his Alembic explorer style basses having them on the upper side of the neck.

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Schlo or warwickhunt may know if an 80's Wick ever had LEDs from the factory for certain. And I could very well be wrong about Cygma's. I've just never seen that little switch on anything earlier than that first JB sig in '90.

Here's an old ad for a black '89 SS2. Says all original and it has LEDs. Though that switch doesn't exactly look like Warwick did it. And the paint job looks aftermarket to me. I'm doubtful.

Warwick Streamer II 1989 Black Bass For Sale Vintage Guitar Oldenburg

Reaction score
My '90 Dolphin has original LED's, although they are not working currently as one of the 9v battery terminal wires has detached. Been meaning to fix for about two years now!

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
My '90 Dolphin has original LED's, although they are not working currently as one of the 9v battery terminal wires has detached. Been meaning to fix for about two years now!

Nice, Woolf! Yeah, it's looking like '90 is the first year of LED's. Would love to see some pics in the Dolphin Club, if you haven't done so in a while :) =The Warwick Dolphin Club=

Curious...what does the custom inlay say?

Reaction score
I did put some pics in the Dolphin club prob around 2010 / 2011 when I first got it, but perhaps I'll post some more... This thread has inspired me to fix the LED's so I'll stick some pictures up of the LED's... The inlay says 'Bass Centre Promo 90' - it was originally a promo instrument for the Bass Centre I'm guessing!

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Very cool!

Yeah, you posted pics back in August of 2012 in da club (page 28)....but they're gone now. I can safely speak for all of us, in saying we'd love to see some pics of her if you have the time :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom