Pickups And Controls Wiring ? Is It Possible?

Reaction score
Hello all,

Its been quite a while since Ive posted here, more playing well than, playing.

My question is: Is their a concentric/stacked volume/volume potentiometer that is push/pull?

My goal and Im not even sure its possible is, 2 single coil passive pups wired each as master volume.
Id like to use the pull option to bypass the bridge pup and bridge volume control completely, giving full potential to the neck pup, or down for both pups and both volumes to work.

Im trying to eliminate the use of a toggle or blend/tone control, just one hole route for the stacked volume and one on the side for output jack. I don't really plan on messing with controls once I dial in my tone with volumes and amp, pedals.

Are their any other options to keep controls to a bare minimum?

This setup was something Ive been pondering for quite a long time, honestly, its a Warmoth shortscale build.
originally, started off with long yearning for 3 basses. so I combined. Pbass body, Gibson eb-3 style pickups (darkstar neck-humbucker plus or of the sorts or sinlge coil in the bridge, still trying to decide.) originally I liked the electronics of the Eb-3 and just so happens I ooogle over stack knobbed 62jazz basses. I thought to combining controls, but the more I think about it I mostly adjust volumes, and rarely mess with tone controls.

Don't worry Im adding a touch of my love for warwick with the wood selection of: Walnut main body figured walnut cap, wenge neck, bubinga fret board.

Any info and guidance would be much appreciated.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I don't think any pot can bypass itself thru push/pull or otherwise. Maybe you can bypass a stacked vol pot with a stacked tone pot through a pull function though. I'd simply go for a switch instead.

Reaction score
Alright, so Ive been looking around. Short of actually going to an actual music store, Ive found very little on wiring just single stacked volume.
Ive decided to do the pickup routing for two darkstars. Controls will be vol/tone-vol/tone both concentric500k/250k, and a 3 way switch.
Thanks for the help.

verb

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I think if you connect the pickups to the stacked volume pots as normal, connect the neck pickup volume output to the centre contact of the switch along with the hot wire to the output jack (this will give you neck pickup all the time).
Connect the bridge pickup volume output to whichever contact of the switch is connected to the centre contact when the switch is down (that will bypass the bridge pickup when the switch is pulled)
Think of the 2 x volume pots and the switch as separate components rather than one item.

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
Well, with the dual Vol/Tone, you'll have some loss of volume when both pickups are on full volume and tone.
I *think* you can achieve what you had in mind, with the pot reference Verb gave. You'll need to wire the bridge p'up on the dpdt part of the pot first, than like a standard volume, and to the jack.
This way, the push pull will cut the signal from the bridge p'up, and you don't need to bypass the volume.

I'm not familiar with the switches, though, but I'm pretty sure it can be done.

Reaction score
Ok, I was thinking that it could be done. Like it was stated by Verb, I was looking at it like 2 separate volumes, just a concentric potentiometer. I used wrong terminology,
cut the signal instead of bypass is what I was looking to do. Both of you nailed it, Cheers! I was almost to the point of running everything stereo, each pickup having its own amp.
Theirs not much info or wiring diagrams for wiring. Ill have to put up a sketchy schematic once Im done maybe so pics.

Reaction score
Id much rather just have the stacked vol/vol push/pull and the output jack, no other knobs or switches. As stated by Henrythe8, I don't want to diddle around with volume loss from tone pots and the such sucking away output.

Top Bottom