Was there a Warwick artist that made you want to get a Warwick bass?

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
James LoMenzo. He played a Stryker. I was stunned by the looks and the sound. When I saw a good offer I took my chance!

Reaction score
Pete Trewavas from Marillion / Transatlantic / Edisons Children.
Thumb and streamer.

He had a brief flirtation with Cort, but has returned to the fold :)
He uses Warwick amps and cabs too.

Reaction score
Stefan Lessard of DMB back when he had a 4st '89 Dolphin and a 6st Thumb. Then he went to Modulus and the tone started going numb. He's almost completely lost in the mix nowadays.

Reaction score
Probably Dirk Lance (Alex Katunich, Incubus) and Sam Rivers (Limp Bizkit), sure there may have been others but those bands I listened to a lot when I started playing bass. Plus as I really wanted a 5 string and was never sold on the look of a lot of Yamahas and other affordable basses in that ball park. Still playing that same first Warwick to this day.

StreamerII84

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
Real Name
Alex
I never really wanted one until I got a 1993 Thumb NT6 on loan and fell in love with it ( after I lifted enough weights to get strong enough to strap it on!)

Before that I knew of Stuart Zender and Ryan Martinie, although now you couldnt get me to listen to a Mudvayne song if you payed me.

Dazed

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Nope. I decided all on my own when I 1st saw a Dolphin that it was the best looking thing I'd seen. I then saw the retail price and realised it would probably never happen. :(

That was until I found one randomly in a long list of used basses in an advert in a bass mag for a shop in London. Warwick Dolphin Pro1 1989 4 string.
I couldn't believe the low price. I called the shop to check and it turned out the price was a typo but as they had advertised it they agreed to honour it!! I still couldn't afford it but at least there was hope of finding a used one!
There was some story that the Sting had ordered it but never actually bought it. ( yes I'm sure he did) I never found out any more of its history,just that it was in 'as new' condition.
Warwick didn't have any info other than the usual report, nothing of the history.

Many faxes later and I had taken out a loan(!!) and bought it unseen, not even a picture. I should say this was the early 90's in the pre Internet days. I didn't know what hardware it had, pickups nothing. Just it was wood coloured- the shops description over the phone. It was a long wait for the courier to turn up.

It arrived not in a hard case but simply packed in a box. Anyway it was (and still is) f@@@ing awesome :lol:
At that time I don't think I had ever seen anyone using one.
I don't recall ever buying a bass because I saw someone using one. Although I did have a thing for Jaydee's and Alembics for a while thanks to a Messrs King and Clark. I did come very close to buying a replica of a certain Rainbow bass some of you are probably familiar with, but 36" scale, with my arms?! :lol:

Reaction score
The two that really made me take notice are Sam Rivers and Rob Trujillo. Probably shows my music tastes lol

Reaction score
Not really. I just saw the Vampyre SN, and thought : "`oly effing scheisse!"

Reaction score
Stuart Zender, without a doubt. IMHO a bass player with an impeccable sense of groove and tone. His bass always fits the song perfectly, but is also able to shine in it's own right at the same time. 'Space Cowboy' a case in point.

Interestingly, I'm about the same age as Stuart and played in a 'local' acid jazz/funk band called 'The Jooce' during 1993-94, right when that whole scene was getting popular. We covered songs by Jamiroquai, James Taylor Quartet, Brand New Heavies, Galliano, Omar, Incognito as well as our own compositions! That period was a huge learning curve in my bass playing and a stepping stone I still remember fondly.

I'd say Stu was the biggest bass inspiration to me at that time, but I couldn't afford a Warwick back then as a poor student! My trusty Squier Jazz Bass was the order of the day then :)

I'm sure there are others like me who'd like to hear some new stuff from Mr Zender??? The Azur stuff was good, but was a while back...

Reaction score
I wouldn't say any particular artist made me want to go the Warwick route. I guess it was because they were the most expensive basses the local dealer carried, and out of curiosity I wanted to try them out. A bit of research and playing around confirmed that it was the right brand for me. There weren't that many metal players rocking Warwicks back then - it was before Mudvayne and Lamb of God were really recogniseable acts. Nowadays Warwick is fairly common in metal circles, for obvious reasons, but not back then.

Reaction score
The answer of the primary question is: no. I just needed a fretless bass so I bought what fretless bass there was in the store. Then I needed a light bass, so I got the Dirty Blonde. But - back in '85 at the Frankfurt Musik Messe I first fell in love with the German Schack basses. Unfortunately (for Schack) Warwick was there too, maybe not for the first time but in the very beginning. The basses shown were very nice, good sound, nice fit and attention to details in a close to rediculous way. I'm sad to say the 'Wicks that showed up in the local store were everything else than nice; they felt "half done" with frets sticking out etc. I kind of counted Warwick out after that; only top 40 bands playing dance halls used Warwicks at that time. (And metal bands!!!)
Anyway, I have a SS1 and used it on its premier gig yesterday evening. A really nice bass! As were my two previous 'Wicks...

Reaction score
Man this takes me back. 2 guys made me want to own a Warwick. The first being Mike Inez after I saw the Man in the Box video. I saw that streamer with the spector headstock and something clicked. The second person is none other than Florin himself. As a young man, I followed his steps during all these years, from band to band and saw him as that "I want to be that guy". To this day I enjoy his vids, tutorials and live performances and also seeing that he's the local endorser...well...

Top Bottom