Warwick vs. Fender

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score
`

Warwick basses are heavily machine-made, where a bass
like an Elrick has one dude shaping the neck by hand. A lot
of purists will say the hand-made one is better, but how
can you guarantee the exact same neck every time?

Necks are like wives.

If I hafta esplain you of that idea
then you'll never get it anywho ...

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Wifes are all the same yet not. Har har.
about hardy's comment on fender low action and being unable to go beyond the 15th fret: that bass needs some fret sanding. All new fenders do. I however like lots of fretbuzz when I dig in on a jazz bass so I suppose it is a quality as well as a flaw. Haha! On a Precision I want my action higher and not hear any fretnoise whatsoever. Different ways of playing and sounding, both are nice sources of inspiration.

Reaction score
Each has their own light. Conceptually, Fender came up (vintage) with some amazing p/u placement choices. I have a 70's jazz spacing, combined with good p/us and a passive tone control. I can get wonderful wonky p-bass tone. I had a 72's P bass, that had been cut up for EMG's. This prior bass P's harder.

For passive modern tone, or active tone my SSII stomps. Fender does not hold a candle in the active game,

I have seen alot of QC on other fenders, than American reissue Fenders. Comparing a German Warwick is not even fair. I have had 2 and they are phenomenally made.

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score
`

Unfortunately, I must agree that Warwicks show
too many issues to be truly "high end" basses.

Looks to me like you've been kinda sheltered from
the pain of "High End" basses, or cars, or cameras
or kitchen stoves for that matter.

High end stuff is high in performance, and equally
high in shortcomings and quirkiness. High end stuff
has high end issues. Kinda like high end women ;-)

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score
`

I have a 70's jazz spacing, combined with good p/us and
a passive tone control. I can get wonderful wonky p-bass
tone. I had a 72's P bass, that had been cut up for EMG's.
This prior bass P's harder.

OK so now itz a 'P'-ing match ?

Reaction score
Looks to me like you've been kinda sheltered from
the pain of "High End" basses,

I must have been. My Modulus, higher priced than most of my Warwicks: Zero issues. My Rick: Regional sustain problems which I was able to cure with a tweak of one of the truss rods.
But I admit I have no experience with exclusively priced basses, just as my high end experience with cars ends at BMW and Mercedes and does not go all the way to Maybach or Bentley or Rolls.

Reaction score
If musicians are artists then comparing a Fender (or Fender-style, e.g.: Lakland/Sadowsky/Lull) bass to a Warwick is a bit like comparing different brushes or pencils or visual media in general and claiming one is better than the other. My Fenders are like drawing with charcoal: big round smudgy warm gestures, my Warwick on the other hand is more like pen and ink: sharp, precise gestures. Some artists prefer one style to another, some incorporate both, but I find it hard to say that one is always preferable to the other.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Not really... Squier is an entry level decent bass. Rockbass targets a more "enthousiast" player.

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Praise the Lord we have Fodera! And please don´t forget Alembic! They help that Warwick stays a midrange priced company! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Maybe this can help

[video=youtube_share;3RDeQlicdWA]http://youtu.be/3RDeQlicdWA[/video]

Reaction score
I had a 2000 MIA Fender Jazz bass - It was easy to play and sounded nice - Then I got a Warwick and sold the Fender - Everyone has something they feel more connected to - I get into the tones of my Warwick and play better - There sure is a lot of great musicians that make the Fender sound good, but not me

SimonQwerty

Warwick Funkster
Reaction score
I had a 2000 MIA Fender Jazz bass - It was easy to play and sounded nice - Then I got a Warwick and sold the Fender - Everyone has something they feel more connected to - I get into the tones of my Warwick and play better - There sure is a lot of great musicians that make the Fender sound good, but not me

I got exactly the same situation two years ago. However, some time later I started missing that vintage vibe in some of my tunes so I got a JB to play them. It's good to own both :)

Top Bottom