Old "ugly" Fenders and the like?

Reaction score
Maybe it's an age thing? When I was younger I couldn't understand why folks would want a worn out looking Fender or anything for that matter.

I eventually bought a black '77 (think it was a '77) Precision bass and really loved it even though it wasn't that worn out looking. I then ended up with a '76 Jazz and a P- Precision (which was awful). All sold now, but the Jazz & Precision I'd have back tomorrow if I could...just for that been there done that feeling they give you when you play them. Maybe the character of old basses like that means more the older you get?

The roadworn's...well...what can I say...fake, simple as that.

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Maybe it's an age thing? When I was younger I couldn't understand why folks would want a worn out looking Fender or anything for that matter.

I eventually bought a black '77 (think it was a '77) Precision bass and really loved it even though it wasn't that worn out looking. I then ended up with a '76 Jazz and a P- Precision (which was awful). All sold now, but the Jazz & Precision I'd have back tomorrow if I could...just for that been there done that feeling they give you when you play them. Maybe the character of old basses like that means more the older you get?

The roadworn's...well...what can I say...fake, simple as that.

Ah, nice thread! A discussion which I debate already some years for myself.

In the meanwhile I own 3 "noble" Warwick CS-basses, all have a high polish finish and fine wood tops. The Streamers don´t have just one scratch. In my opinion any scratches would destroy the worth of these beautiful instruments. In our band I use my Fender Preci Road Worn and a Fender Jazz Bass CS. Especially the Road Worn P-Bass runs like hell! The whole instrument vibrates, sings and roars! And I don´t give any attention whether they get new scratches or not. My BEAD-tuned LTD TA 200, which I play in the band, has a polished finish and now already shows some wear. That doesn´t give me the feeling, that this bass and I have a history in common, the wear is just a damage. It all just depends on the particular instrument.

One thing is true: the Road Worn is really ugly! But the tone beats the look!

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Wtf? Warwick starts selling "relic" Wicks?
image.jpg

Reaction score
Real Name
Chris
Official link?

I think the only people who care about the roadworn look are the Fender guys. Nobody else gives a ♣♣♣♣.

Reaction score
Official link?

I think the only people who care about the roadworn look are the Fender guys. Nobody else gives a ♣♣♣♣.

Thats your opinion, I quite like the roadworn look to be honest.

boston asphalt2

Official Forum Pain in the Ass
Reaction score
"Roadworn" look on basses that is artificial is a damned shame, and a complete lie. A bassist and his bass earn those imperfections and to artificially apply them is just ♣♣♣♣ing ridiculous.

Reaction score
"Roadworn" look on basses that is artificial is a damned shame, and a complete lie. A bassist and his bass earn those imperfections and to artificially apply them is just ♣♣♣♣ing ridiculous.

It is a shame. I like to take care of my basses, even my Fender. I have very few marks on any of mine, but each one has a story.

To me, the road-worn concept is like some middle-aged dude running out to get 30 tattoos to appear a certain way. No thought behind them, no stories, just appearances.

I suppose if one picks up a "distressed finish" bass, and it plays and sounds fabulous, and is compelled to buy there new soul-mate, that's cool. But just for appearances? No. Not cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I am kind of in the middle of this. I think for the most part that road worn or distressed finishes are somewhat cheating. It wasnt natural but forced.

But at the same time, when done right it looks really nice....
scott-photo-8.png

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I own a Fender Preci road worn (ugly as hell!) and a Jazz Bass CS heavy relic (looks great!). It´s nice not to have to care about scratches, dings or dongs. But my Wicks I will always keep as "new old stock". Just different pair of shoes.

Reaction score
..for me at the moment it depends on the actual finish..

if it is crystal clear shining coat, i try it to keep it shiny and scratch free as possible (polishing almost once a month).. my natural or satin finished guitars can have scratches or dingdongs...

four of my guitars are DIY-Kits from Thomann..
the Tele is multi layered with clear coat
the Strat is natural with True-Oil
the SG is Matte/Satin
the Les Paul is Multi-Layered Clear Coat

hate me or laugh at me, but the next Bass i buy, will be the Jazz-BAss Kit from Thomann.. so i will add the Ash-Tray and the Pickup-Cover so i planned to relic it myself with multiple coats, dings, dongs, scratches etc. :D

the old fashioned Fenders looks nicer if relic/Road worn as crystal clear new :D

Reaction score
I bought my RW from local Craigslist for $450 and still have it because it sounds great with the Fralin HCs. I love the 60's pick up position and find the mellow, musical low end easy to control, for the music I play. I don't think anyone noticed or cared how it looked. Is it built well? Hell no! It has the famous Fender heel rise, aka "the ramp" which prohibits playing the last 3 frets and the light weight neck needs constant adjustment if I use anything other than lt gauge strings. Also, the tuners are incredibly hard to turn. I like the sound so much though, I'll probably be getting a 60s classic from them. It's mostly the same bass but "unreliced". As to the looks, no one up here notices because everyone's bass is beat up. Difference is, they had them from new and distressed them personally and the "battle scar" stories are never cool. Must be my neck of the woods, I guess.
For the record, I would not pay extra for the RW look because these basses fall apart nicely on their own :) and if it makes you feel that much cooler on stage and you actually play better (not in my case, lol) because you set the mood....go for it! I see it as no different than others wearing shades or hats or putting leds or stickers on your axe.
I've personally seen that it is worse to bring a Fodera to your gig and play poorly (again not me :))
...And since I'm on a roll...can I be president of the "I love Gooooooold" hardware club!..Seated in between Nacho and boston asphalt2? :lol:
Whatever man, I gigged it last night just for kicks and it sounded great straight into my HB stack.
hbfender.jpg

Reaction score
Well I can’t stand fenders so I can’t really comment on the topic. Whenever I see one I just cringe and gag.

But my 2 cents is that my mate who is a fender lover would get rocks, sand paper, all this sh*t and scratch the helllllll out of his guitar!! Smash is against the ground with force and crack off the finish. Then pick away and sand at the finish!!! It was insanity.

It would make a terrible noise. I will have to close my eyes and look away, I couldn’t stand seeing a guitar being abused like that. Fender or not.

Reaction score
Real Name
Chris
"Streamer CV eh? Those have only been out a couple years, right? Wow, looks like that thing has been on the road 30 years!"

"I paid someone to do that."

"oh"

disappointment.wav

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
:) who gives? Are we gonna judge people by the finish of their instrument next?
Come on guys. Live and let live.

Furthermore, I really don't give a damn.

Reaction score
Real Name
Chris
It's a funny thing :>

Like those guys who wear fanny packs :D

Top Bottom