Idea for upcoming Warwick Amp goodness

Reaction score
I know I've mentioned this to Garey before (and even boldly offered to demo the prototype!), but given the new amps that Warwick has been coming out with and the acclaim they've been receiving, I thought I'd throw this out here to get everyone's thoughts.

My main gigging venue is musical theatre. In the past two years, many of the theatres in town have gone to an ampless situation, where everyone has a set of in-ears for their monitors. This is advantageous for many reasons, but the one thing that we can all agree on is that a bass run straight through a DI misses a little bit of character, even if that bass is a Warwick.

I have countered this issue with bringing my own preamp/DI to the shows, and after talking with the soundperson about my gear, we usually dial it in very easily. Currently I'm using either a PJB Bass Buddy or an Aguilar Tone Hammer (depending on the coloring I want). Both of these are great boxes and do their job very well; the gritty tone the Aguilar offers in addition is a nice bonus.

However, after receiving my BC-80 and being wow'd by the tone that it has (even with the headphone out), I woud love to see Warwick come out with a variant on the preamp/DI. It doesn't have to be as awesome and robust as the Hellborg pre, but something like the guts from the BC line, put into a stompbox enclosure with an XLR DI out would be phenomenal.

That's my idea/request.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
You mean something like the Tech21 VTbass but in a Warwick amp flavour?

There's plenty of those kinda boxes around like Eden WTDI, AMT BC1, Tech21 character series.
If you're not afraid of going digital there's Korg's Pandora as well.

I never leave home without my VTbass v2 stompbox. Can plug it into line in or into any bass amp and dial in my tone.

lasteffect

Forum Nudist
Reaction score
If you want a very nice DI Preamp box, I'd say the Darkglass B7K Microtubes Preamp is the best choices for your situation.

Here's a my little demo. It's a very nice pedal.

[video=youtube;S0066SBvOFw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0066SBvOFw[/video]

Reaction score
There's plenty of those kinda boxes around like Eden WTDI, AMT BC1, Tech21 character series.
If you're not afraid of going digital there's Korg's Pandora as well.

Oh, I know; I have two kinds that I use regularly. But yes, it would be the guts from the Warwick BC series (which sounds very nice) put into a stomp pedal. If they honestly wanted to shrink down the Hellborg and put it into a pedal, that'd be sweet too. Expensive no doubt, but sweet.

If you want a very nice DI Preamp box, I'd say the Darkglass B7K Microtubes Preamp is the best choices for your situation.

Thanks, but unless WW makes one I'm sticking with the Aguilar and the PJB.

lasteffect

Forum Nudist
Reaction score
Yeah, the B7K ain't cheap. But worth it for me. I love it. It's clean, clear, and be as dirty as I want. To me, it's like a Hellborg Preamp, but in a stompbox form.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Hi Jon,
I discussed this with Hans Peter a long time ago, and he told me that he will not go into the stompbox area, it is just a different business... Maybe he will change his mind.

Reaction score
Hi Jon,
I discussed this with Hans Peter a long time ago, and he told me that he will not go into the stompbox area, it is just a different business... Maybe he will change his mind.

It is for sure, that's no doubt. I guess it wouldn't have to be a stompbox; look at the PJB Bass Buddy. That's a preamp/DI/headphone amp and it's definitely not a stompbox. But thanks for the info!

Reaction score
If lost of people back up One Bad Monkey , we might have one . Lets see what will happen .

Maybe put in some kind of voting system can be added to the thread .

Florin

OG
Reaction score
So, both Jonas Hellborg and Hans Peter confirmed me that they have a plan to build this, but it will not be in the near future. Thanks guys :)

lasteffect

Forum Nudist
Reaction score
Interesting. I mean. It sounds cool. I know we've all wanted a Warwick Pedal... Well... A Hellborg Pedal sounds even better.

Reaction score
Very cool, i'd love to hear/try out a Hellborg pedal 8:

Reaction score
So, both Jonas Hellborg and Hans Peter confirmed me that they have a plan to build this, but it will not be in the near future. Thanks guys :)

That's fantastic! For someone like me that has used an amp about 15-20% of my gigs in the past two years, this is very promising news.

Top Bottom