What is YOUR "Smoke on the Water"?

Reaction score
usually i play "?thunder kiss?" (white zombie) and i don't know why. it just pops in my mind! (i'm not a white zombie fan! ) then something on the lower notes and some random slap to check the highs!

I do the bassline to "Black Sunshine" myself. :)

Seriously, I usually fiddle around. Like Florin, I'll play some stuff that I know what it sounds like, usually some stuff from the band or whatnot. In terms of slap, I'll play a couple of of the patterns from the "Slap It!" book. All done at a reasonable volume, just because I hate - hate - HATE those guys that feel they have to crank the amp up to let the stores across the street hear them.

Vuk

Dr. Evil
Reaction score
what a nice topic!

well, i first tend to play some scales, just to warm up, get a feel of the neck and so..
i like to tune to drop D and play "A Key To Nothing" by Mudvayne (but dropped on D) with a 'fat' tone..the rest of it is up to the moment. i never plan these things really :p

Reaction score
I just noodle, and play what i've been practicing recently. Although i'll normally always play Walking away and on and on and on by catch 22/streetlight (i interchange versions as i see fit). Then play some music from my band.

Reaction score
I tend to let the bass inspire me. I kind of feel that if it's a decent bass it'll show in how and what I play. I don't go in with any fixed ideas on what I play - I definitely steer away from anything flashy and like One Bad Monkey said, it's gotta be at a reasonable volume.

Oh and I hate it when the bass dept guy "tunes the bass for me"...I can do that myself you wazzock!

Alexandre

Production Manager Assistant
Reaction score
Being a brass player (which might make me the only musician on this forum 8:), I did not get to annoy salesmen with "smoke on the water", although I must say that when I was in a music shop, the top 3 was Enter Sandman, Any drop tuned power chord with distorsion and volume at 11, and then Thunderstruck. Otherwise, our brass section "Smoke on the water" for sound checks was anything from the Blues Brothers sound track or start singing "stand by your man". But the absolute winner was our saxophonist starting to play "Careless Whisper" (instant win every time, but he's still working hard on the Benny Hill Theme)

[video=youtube;bQtlrBziyzI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQtlrBziyzI[/video]

This song happens to be Matthijs favorite, by the way (he plays saxophone, too!), playing loud everytime he does a photoshoot in the studio :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Curtis

Editor De Bassist magazine (NL)
Reaction score
What a great story! I love The Blues Brothers, saw the movie over a hundred times.

And I am a bit afraid of Matthijs now! Glad we dropped him:)

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Being a brass player (which might make me the only musician on this forum 8:),
You are a bone player, Alexandre, it means you never have gigs, it means that technically speaking you are not much of a musician.

Alexandre

Production Manager Assistant
Reaction score
You are a bone player, Alexandre, it means you never have gigs, it means that technically speaking you are not much of a musician.

Well, if I wasn't working hard to get you the finest instruments, I could find gigs, even here! Although they'd implywearing Lederhose.

And I feel a point of jealousy from you. I can understand that. You have to play bass because you can't play synth. Synth bass sounds way much better :)

(But I like you the same, Flo ;) )

Florin

OG
Reaction score
:)

You know what's the dynamic range of a bone player?

ON/ OFF

Reaction score
Hmmm....I usually do some of "War Pigs" (Black Sabbath) and I simply do some runs up and down the neck. Good song for testing speed, comfort and tone. 8: Of some reason, I usually get very shy and clumsy when I try to play at music stores, since you always have some sick, musical talents testing something else right next to you.:confused:

Vuk

Dr. Evil
Reaction score
i played it yesterday, and i'll play it forever while testing out the bass.

i set action for rear pickup/fat tone, and play "Bistra Voda" by the very popular Macedonian ethno rock band called Leb i Sol. Check out this song, it has a beautiful bassline (and the guy played a fretless corvette while recording this one)

[video=youtube;xr8wj7Qlg7Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr8wj7Qlg7Y[/video]

BassPlyr Randy

Long Winded SOB
Reaction score
Hmmmmm What do you call it when a brass player gets a gig? .... a blow job!

Hmmmmmm Bone Player ... means Blowing a Bone ..... while wearing lederhose ...... kind of gives a whole new meaning to Oom-Pah-Pah!

You know, when it comes to a blow job, I perfer not to be the one doing the blowing!

(I know Im going to hell for this post)

Reaction score
How a nice post!
I've always played in order:

- I shot the sheriff (Jaco version, somewhere in NY volume II)
- Dear prudence (same as before)
- Birdland (Weather report w/Jaco) usually at this point someone come to see my false armonics :cool:

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Yes, I know, that's ON. And then you have OFF too :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I actually just got taught Smoke on the Water lol....gotta find a guitar shop quick before i forget it!!!!!!

Reaction score
I always play the following when trying out a bass:

Tool - Schism
Limp Bizkit - Re-Arranged
Incubus - Battlestar Scralachtica
Tool - forty six and 2

My band members take the piss out of me for it...

Top Bottom