Brass Just-A-Nut III?

Reaction score
niiice upgrade... go Warwick!
I actually had to click on the pic to believe it.

rusty

Fatburger bassist
Reaction score
I can tell you're passionate about this issue, so I don't want to fire you up, but... what is the benefit in that? I honestly can't think of a reason I'd want my strings at different heights at the nut - am I missing something?

Sorry for the delay guys, been away on tour, The main reason i liked to adjust each string individually, was you could experiment with string gauges and also for the hard B string hitters, you could raise the B string higher to get rid of those anoying rattles without upsetting the basses other string heights. Basically, i like to adjust things! I know Florin had issues with the screws rattling, but ive never had it or seen it on any other brass nut wick. And ive seen and set up a lot of them. Maybe yours was a dicky one Flo? Maybe im just a dick!

But Kudos to warwick for bringing the brass nut back :)

Rusty

Reaction score
Real Name
Clément
:S
I don't regret buying a JAN I instead of waiting for this brass JAN III anymore!

Reaction score
Real Name
Rehan
it's a nut, won't make a world of difference, only on open strings. I guess they'll be richer in the upper harmonics, slightly. I buy it because my JANII is broken and it looks way too cool.

No offense, but I disagree. I replaced my JAN-1 with a bone nut for a period of time. Like Florin, I was having issues with the rattling and my set-up and bass repair man (luthier) kept trying to convince me to put a bone nut on my SSII 5-string. I finally decided to let him put the bone nut on my bass. I liked it at first. The bone nut brightened up the tone of the bass - not just the open notes but it changed the overall character of the tone.

If you think about it, the nut is the other contact point of the string besides the bridge (besides the 2 points that actually hold the strings in place - the string retainer & tuners). The bass resonates differently with a different nut material because one of the contact points is a piece of bone instead of a piece of brass - simple physics. In my opinion. The bass never sounded quite the same with the bone nut - the low end sounded thinner because the bone nut added a brighter overall tone to the instrument.

As soon as I put the old JAN-1 back on the bass, LOW (pun intended) & BEHOLD, the classic tone was back with more low end and less highs - not just on open notes, but all the notes. Just my 2 cents - I'm sure others will disagree.

Reaction score
... I'm repeating myself, and I don't know if you guys are missing it or if it's just not of interest...

this Nut will be standard on all NT and custom basses build by Warwick from now on...

and:

If you think about it, the nut is the other contact point of the string besides the bridge (besides the 2 points that actually hold the strings in place - the string retainer & tuners). The bass resonates differently with a different nut material because one of the contact points is a piece of bone instead of a piece of brass - simple physics. .
:/ I disagree somehow... The moment you fret the string the nut is not / significantly less involved to any vibration. That's what my understanding of simple physics tell me - but I'd be happy somebody cleared it up. Maybe with a little bit of more elaborate physics.

gjj

Reaction score
I assume us US owners need to contact Hanser to get these?

Top Bottom