Inventor of slap bass?

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Hey, I was just wondering who came up with slapping, went to wikipedia and it mentioned this guy here. I 'd never heard of him to be honest, I guess I'm a bass history illiterate. He plays aggresively, I bet Flea had this guy as a big influence... I like the fact that he sings as well, he's kind of a one man band. :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipjTvRe7-Zg]YouTube - Larry Graham - Super Slapping Bass part 1[/ame]

Ian

The Undecided Frog
Reaction score
Man... Larry Graham is a legend amongst bass players!

Reaction score
Epicness

This guys awesome!!:d I wonder why I never heard of him before.

Lex

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
Guys... you don't know Larry Graham? Where have you been?

LOL

Reaction score
You guys might like to look into Louis Johnson,of the Brothers Johnson & The Reddings.

Reaction score
You guys might like to look into Louis Johnson,of the Brothers Johnson & The Reddings.

i checked him out a few weeks ago. hes insane at slapping:eek:
didnt he play bass for Micheal Jackson aswell??

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Yes he did play for MJ. If Larry Graham is aggresive, Louis Johnson is animalistic. They play like insane people.
He don't impress me though... I think slap needs a bit more control and touch... You know? White boy slapping...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewr8cEQEbfs[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

Curtis

Editor De Bassist magazine (NL)
Reaction score
Larry Graham was before Louis Johnson, but they both ahve another style op slapping. I was was at a Louis Johnson workshop and he explained the differences between him and Larry. Hard to describe that in words...

Yes: Louis Johnson played for MJ
Yes: You have to be ashamed if you don't know Larry! No! This is a forum. Always good to discover new things, isn't it?

Reaction score
he too claims to have started slap and he says Leo made first Stingray for him.

Reaction score
luis johnson is the jimi hendrix of bass imho. maybe the michael jordan? all I know is he can slap that thing silly. and he does do "control" also, listen to studio tracks.

Reaction score
I'm one of the guys who'd not heard of either of those dudes. They are insane though.

Reaction score
larry is sick ever heard of his POW! line? it's just that badass...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1IuD6F3R5I]YouTube - Graham Central Station - Pow[/ame]

Reaction score
Louis Johnson...check out how he managed to get a slap solo in Stomp and it still end up sounding natural and being a hit! He gat da groooooove.

da-vonk

Warwick Enthusiast forevah
Reaction score
I once heard this story about how 'slappin da bass' was invented... it was some poor bass player that figured out a way to play da riddim on his old four string... this way his band didn't need no drummer, so more money left over for himself ... legend has it that he used his thumb to 'play' da bass (drum) and his indexfinger for da snare and da melody ... 8:

Reaction score
What a bunch of slappers!! (soz, cudn't resist)

Top Bottom