Ryan Martinie Q&A

Reaction score
Ok, so I am a massive Ryan Martinie fan and I was recently reading the wikipedia page about him. I thought I knew everything there was to know about his equipment, but I guess I was wrong. Does anybody know, if this is true, why Ry-know would get his WWs in such weird wood configs? Here is what I read on Wiki:

"Warwick Thumb Bass 5-string, ebony fingerboard, chrome hardware, nickel frets.

Back-up basses: Thumb 4, rosewood neck and gold hardware. Also two Thumb 5 stringers with ebony and rosewood necks and bubinga bodies & also a fretless Pedulla Buzz 4. In several images he has been seen with, but never using, a Warwick Vampyre bass."

Does this mean all his basses are custom shop deals? Why would he get such great basses with rosewood necks and not the signature 'wick woods? Is this even a reputable quote? Have any of you heard about his basses? I guess the nickel frets are brighter, right?

I think he's a genius. When I found out about him slaving Greg's amp to add tone to his sound, I thought it genius, too.

Reaction score
I don't follow RM. But although it's not out of the realm of possibility, I would say it's very unlikely. Have yet to see WW do rosewood neck, would be very cool though! Ball family reserve did some.

Mr Praline

Forum Silly Person
Reaction score
AFAIK his basses all have standard woods...Ebony is standard as fingerboard on the thumb bass nowadays. Perhaps just looks that are deceiving? I'm no RM authority in any way though :d

Curtis

Editor De Bassist magazine (NL)
Reaction score
I think it's time to do some new Q&A's with Warwick-endorsers by us forum members. Like the Stuart Zender one. Florin?

Reaction score
I know of one band that actively promote "Wiki vandalism"...it's most entertaining. I'm not suggesting this is Wiki vandalism, but it's very easy to change a page.

Reaction score
I'd say no.

I've seen plenty of mistakes throughout wikipedia, and this is one of them.

+1

Wikipedia can be a useful tool, but there's loads of bad information on there. Some guy probably noticed a non-maple neck and just assumed it was rosewood, etc.

Reaction score
Real Name
Kevin
Ok, so I am a massive Ryan Martinie fan and I was recently reading the wikipedia page about him. I thought I knew everything there was to know about his equipment, but I guess I was wrong. Does anybody know, if this is true, why Ry-know would get his WWs in such weird wood configs? Here is what I read on Wiki:

"Warwick Thumb Bass 5-string, ebony fingerboard, chrome hardware, nickel frets.

Back-up basses: Thumb 4, rosewood neck and gold hardware. Also two Thumb 5 stringers with ebony and rosewood necks and bubinga bodies & also a fretless Pedulla Buzz 4. In several images he has been seen with, but never using, a Warwick Vampyre bass."

Does this mean all his basses are custom shop deals? Why would he get such great basses with rosewood necks and not the signature 'wick woods? Is this even a reputable quote? Have any of you heard about his basses? I guess the nickel frets are brighter, right?

I think he's a genius. When I found out about him slaving Greg's amp to add tone to his sound, I thought it genius, too.

First - Ryan is an amazing player!!

Check Welcome to Bass Player - I have a 2003 issue that gives all the details and the above description looks correct IIRC.

Reaction score
I deserve the title of "Warwick Newbie". I own a Thumb BO but I didn't realize that the NT Thumb has a Bubinga body and Ebony fretboard standard. I assumed the NT was like my BO and had a Wenge fretboard and Ovangkol body. This makes the only odd wood on Ryan's bass his Rosewood neck. I found a wood description page on the Warwick site and it said Ovangkol is alot like rosewood. I guess that means Ryan's main bass isn't that weird after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I'd consider myself more of an authority on Ryan Martinie's playing and gear than the average bassist, and Wikipedia in this case once again makes me cringe with the notion that ANYONE can just put info up and call it INFO.

Of course his natural bubinga Thumbs don't have rosewood fingerboards. Duh. But they're certainly not ebony. He's had those since before Warwick switched to ebony standard on their fretboards for the Thumbs. His are wenge. The new 4 and 5 string CS Thumbs he got, with the black finish, chrome hardware, and nickel frets, definately have ebony fretboards.

I couldn't believe people got those obvious details wrong, while knowing all about the Vampyre he never plays and the Pedulla he only uses in the studio. HUH

I love his playing... Ryknow!

Nicest, smartest bassist I ever met.

Andy
living.syndication

Reaction score
Didnt he do a Warwick Vampyre advert that got banned in some country?

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Not in Romania. I just bought that poster, thanks for the link :)

Reaction score
I cant believe we have a Ryan Martinie thread without a single post from Kyle.
What's with that then?
*edit.
The poster was banned coz of the hand sign.Some religous types took exception to it thinking it was some satanic type of gesture.
& some folks wonder why they're considered a joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I've often turned up to church with skulls on my shirts. Still mulling over whether or not to turn up wearing my number of the beast shirt though. That I can understand being offensive but a good joke to me.

Top Bottom