Is it still a Warwick

Reaction score
Approximately 4 years ago I purchased a 24 fret Warwick Ash Active/Passive bass which in the end gave me nothing but grief. This is a solid bass that not only looks good but has great playability, however it ate batteries and the sound simply was not there not to mention some extensive neck work was also required. In the end after much frustration I gutted the electronics and after some trial and error (and expense) I settled with the Vintage Fender Jazz Noiseless pups via a Bartolini Pre-amp with a 5 ohm tweek included.

WOW

I have finally hit pay dirt. It sounds fantastic in both active and passive modes. Solid output with that warm yet punchy sound that I adore. Which begs the question, Am I now playing a Warwick? Oh and did I mention WOW!?

Reaction score
I say do what ever needs to be done to get the sound you want. Kudos for ripping the guts out of it though...glad to hear you have a bass you now love :)

...and yes, it's still a Wick!

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score

Warwick buys, or has bought, PU's from
Bartolini, EMG, Fishman, MEC, and SD.
Warwick players should not feel 'guilty'
for doing the same.

IOW MEC PU's and are not Warwick PU's
but are simply MEC PU's. Electronics are
likewise. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Yeah, the bass was still made by warwick so it'll always be a warwick

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Congrats man, yeah, it is still a tweaked Warwick. We all do this :)

Reaction score
Funny you should mention your pickup situation, both my Warwicks have EMG's and sound amazing, every Warwick i have played with MEC's including 4 of my own have just lacked that certain edge that the EMG's produce, So i'll forever be playing EMG's until i experience better.

Reaction score
I used to own a vintage Thumb NT that came with EMGs... yes it was and probably is still a Warwick!!

Top Bottom