Dream Theaters New Album

Reaction score
It is probably one of my new favorite albums I love it. Has anyone else heard it?

Reaction score
8: Love it too mate! Got it a few days ago with the cover songs and the instrumental versions of "Black Clouds". Recommended!

Mr Praline

Forum Silly Person
Reaction score
Uninspired and awful production. A great step in the right direction from Systematic Chaos with more melodic and warm songs, but it lacks the epic/grand feeling of earlier albums.

Reaction score
I think it's a good album.
It is also hard for me to take anything
they do too seriously, so for a DT album
it's good. Something about their whole
band has always seemed horribly
pretentious even though they all seem like
nice guys.

I like to listen to them when I want to hear
some amazing musicians rather than a great
album. Even the DVD's I have of theirs I can't
watch all the way through.

It's a love/hate relationship.

Reaction score
I am just listening on . At a first glance it seems to be deeply uninspired.
On some of their previous albums they showed a high level of music composition & great
creativity but... something is missing here.

Reaction score
I've had a couple of listens on Spotify and struggling to find much to hold my ear.

They certainly do know how to spin a track out don't they?? That song 'The best of times' sounds like the worst Toto song and 10 minutes too long.

If you like technical type music check out Frost* (), Darwin's Radio () and Porcupine Tree ()

Those are probably a little lightweight for most DT fans...having said that Mike Portnoy is a massive Frost fan and they supported them in the UK recently.

G

Reaction score
Frost is really cool and so is porcupine tree, they're both going on my ipod. Thanks Gman

Reaction score
Porcupine tree has amazing production most of the time.

Steve wilson works with opeth as a producer if i remember correctly. The sound on deadwing will be my reference track to give to a mixer, its nearly as close to perfection as possible.

I saw em late last year and they were great, they played aneathesize in full which was awesome.

Reaction score
No worries Kyle - glad you liked! Frosts 'Milliontown' album is my fave of the two...Experiments in Mass Appeal isn't quite as easy to get into.

Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree) is one of my fave drummers....soooooo amazingly fluid. His double bass drum work puts most to shame - incredibly technical but also very musical at the same time.

SW is an amazing producer - his work with Opeth very much influenced the sound on Deadwing (my fave PT album).

Top Bottom