=The Warwick Dolphin Club=

Reaction score
bass2020 said:
So, my maple Dolphin is for sale--again. Or trade if anyone would like. It is just is too bright for my taste. Failing a sale, some have mentioned I should put Bartolini's in it. Would that give me a fuller, deeper, and smoother tone? Do I need a Bartolini preamp? And what exactly are the right pickups (their numbers or whatever). And finally, how much will this cost?

bart pickups and pre will get you where you want, I'm 99% sure.

the full set would be around 350 - 400 $

Reaction score
/quote]

bart pickups and pre will get you where you want, I'm 99% sure.

the full set would be around 350 - 400 $[/quote]

I've never played a Warwick with barts but I have liked other basses with them, Ibanez and Modulus come to mind. I've always felt that my Warwicks lacked something in their tone. Maybe it's just the sound of MEC. I've owned 2 Thumb BO, Corvette, Streamer LX, and 2 Dolphins and all seemed to be missing something. I guess I should try barts because I love my Maple Dolphin. It plays and looks great, just not happy with the tone. Also, it's super rare and that is a factor that makes me want to keep it.

Reaction score
a lot of people don't like the MEC pre, I do, but I'm in a minority I guess. Maddrakkett changed his PU and pre to a bart on his thumb and really loved the tone. He said it helped to tame it (lower the highs and add some more lows). You really should check them out.

Reaction score
What's the difference between the original and the classic series of bartolini pickups?

Reaction score
Hi bass2020,Brtolini pickups and pre are very good and versatile,and I suppose that the Classic serie is very similar to the original Barts on the early Dolphins,but yours have a twin jazz and I don't know if Bartolini can make that model(originally Dolphins with Bartolini had a MM at the bridge).For every question I suggest you to send a mail to "Best bass Gear",they are very professional,here the link:
Good luck!!!!

Reaction score
There is an italian company that build very good quality pickups,and they produced a sort of twin jazz(they call it double jazz).There are active and passive models,I suggest to take a look for the active double jazz model with AlNiCo bars,the sound is more warm than ceramic(I think Mec use ceramic bars like the EMG),and you don't need to change the electronic.Here the link:

Bye!!

Attachments

• 2j4c_130.png
    2j4c_130.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 532
Reaction score
Yes,I've played a Fender Jazz with the active pickups and passive electronic,well balanced sound and very very silent,ideal for recording.I've a Streamer LX and I want to replace the Mec with EMG or Magnetics.Your Dolphin is particoular for the birdseye maple body,but I've read that the type of wood in a neck throu have a minor influence on the sound compare to a bolt on so,the brightness that you ear can depend from the pickups or electronics .I've owned two basses with Bartolini,a Pedulla Mvp and a Zon Legacy and the sound was very good but with the mid frequencies in evidence,a good mix(that I've installed on a Fender 5)was Seymour duncan passive with Aguilar OBP 3.I prefer passive pickups with active electronics.when you split from active to passive you can feel a real passive tone!Obviously every thing depend of your idea of sound.Bye,your Dolphin is a very beautiful and unique instrument,be careful before decide to sell it,I've sold my 90 Thumb for the same reason and it was a great mistake!! Bye.

Reaction score
The only option that bestbassgear.com has to replace the twin jazz is made by Delanos. Anyone ever used them?

Reaction score
Never used Delano pickups,sorry! But I've found an old Dolphin on sale on Ebay(Germany) that is equipped with a sort of twin jazz with Bartolini logo,I don't know if that pickup is original made by Bartolini or derived from a custom work(two jazz in one),maybe someone in the forum can help you!Bye

Attachments

• bild1_309.jpg
    bild1_309.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 489
Reaction score
bass2020 said:
The only option that bestbassgear.com has to replace the twin jazz is made by Delanos. Anyone ever used them?

Delanos are generally very sensitive and kinda aggressive.

Reaction score
flipper_gv said:
bass2020 said:

So, a good or bad thing? How do they sound compared to other pickups?

Reaction score
dejan said:
Never used Delano pickups,sorry! But I've found an old Dolphin on sale on Ebay(Germany) that is equipped with a sort of twin jazz with Bartolini logo,I don't know if that pickup is original made by Bartolini or derived from a custom work(two jazz in one),maybe someone in the forum can help you!Bye

That looks to be made by Bartolini, I don't see how it could be otherwise. Maybe it was a special make for Warwick at the time.

Reaction score
bass2020 said:
flipper_gv said:
bass2020 said:

So, a good or bad thing? How do they sound compared to other pickups?

well, usually brighter than most I'd say, but not in an EMG way. More focus in the high mid, not much in the treble. Nice lows too.

Reaction score
I may be getting those Delano pickups. It may be just what i'm looking for. Here is what bestbassgear.com said. "The Delanos are going to be a bit fuller sounding than the MEC pickups. Similar to the Bartolinis, but with a little more upper mids and clarity on the top end." Sounds good, right?

Reaction score
Very good!! I never try Delano Pickups but that Twin Jazz is very interesting.It will be a great upgrade,I'm curious to ear your Dolphin with that pickups...... :D

Reaction score
bass2020 said:
Should I use the Delano pickups with my MEC preamp? Would that work ok?

Definately.Post some clips after you do it.

Reaction score
The Delanos are passive pickups, so I'll lose the active/passive feature. I'll also have to change the volume/blend stack to volume/volume.

Top Bottom