=The Warwick Dolphin Club=

Reaction score
Wow! That is looking amazing. Platinum was the right choice. Absolutely classy. I've been out of state for two weeks and I'm finally home and have been able to check my new Birdseye Dolphin out. It came as described with a few exceptions. The fretboard is slightly separating at the nut. Probably more cosmetic than structural. The bass was extremely dirty. I'd never worked on a bass as dirty as this one. On the surface it looks great but in the crevices there was foul tar build up. Someone who smoked must have owned this and it had not been cleaned in a long while. When I was taking the pickups out to scrape out all the crap in the cavities the positive lead for the twin jazz snapped as I pulled it up. Really unfortunate but it is what it is. I've sourced a replacement I will install myself. I was also unaware that Warwick used a shorter screw for the upper horn flush mount. Any time I get a new bass I swap the Dunlop locks because I don't know how old or worn they are and I've had old ones fail. Cheap peace of mind and better safe than sorry. I pushed the tip of the longer screw through the upper horn ever so slightly before I had realized what had happened. Total face palm moment. Really frustrating but now I've learned. Overall the bass is super killer there's just been a few speed bumps to get over. Here she is.
62727473559__318028CF-E630-43D8-976D-6E5D458F6DC9.jpeg
62743109289__F9D5509B-EF0E-47BE-9319-7F0BA63448F4.jpeg
IMG_6245.jpeg

Last edited:

CeeJ

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Wow! That is looking amazing. Platinum was the right choice. Absolutely classy. I've been out of state for two weeks and I'm finally home and have been able to check my new Birdseye Dolphin out. It came as described with a few exceptions. The fretboard is slightly separating at the nut. Probably more cosmetic than structural. The bass was extremely dirty. I'd never worked on a bass as dirty as this one. On the surface it looks great but in the crevices there was foul tar build up. Someone who smoked must have owned this and it had not been cleaned in a long while. When I was taking the pickups out to scrape out all the crap in the cavities the positive lead for the twin jazz snapped as I pulled it up. Really unfortunate but it is what it is. I've sourced a replacement I will install myself. I was also unaware that Warwick used a shorter screw for the upper horn flush mount. Any time I get a new bass I swap the Dunlop locks because I don't know how old or worn they are and I've had old ones fail. Cheap peace of mind and better safe than sorry. I pushed the tip of the longer screw through the upper horn ever so slightly before I had realized what had happened. Total face palm moment. Really frustrating but now I've learned. Overall the bass is super killer there's just been a few speed bumps to get over. Here she is.
View attachment 22306 View attachment 22307 View attachment 22308

SWEET TO SEE THIS!~
Looking forward to seeing your cleaned up and restore pics!
Congrats on the bass - We look to live close to each other... will have to hang when the world calms down...

CeeJ

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Whew! That fretless is killer. That’s on the Warwick site right? I’m partial to your Birdseye though ;)
Yeah the Fretless was a featured Custom Shop... Been around the world at least a couple times. Killer MWUAH!
Cool to see the BURL Knot that made the Dolphin Fretless cut up - then see the bass at the end of the Vid... Enjoy!

Reaction score
Yeah the Fretless was a featured Custom Shop... Been around the world at least a couple times. Killer MWUAH!
Cool to see the BURL Knot that made the Dolphin Fretless cut up - then see the bass at the end of the Vid... Enjoy!

What’s the story with her?

Reaction score
Ahhhh my old fretless! I wish I could have done fretless bass playing some justice and I'd not have sold it! :)

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I enjoy seeing the same guys revolving around Dolphins. They are magnificent basses. I sold mine to a forum member in France because it was getting zero playtime.

I was looking for some more traditional bass tone so am now sticking to my jazzes, stingray and ric. The difference being I use basses that are like glue in the mix. Warwicks I have had simply don't do that and remain a loose entity in the mix. This is really awesome for prog metal etc but not so much for 70's stuff and punkrock my band plays in my opinion.

Still, I am very enthousiastic about those beautiful Dolphins eventho I don't want one for myself anymore.

Reaction score
Removed the old electronics in the Birdseye Dolphin and got it prepped with shielding paint as well as drilled a hole for a toggle switch for the twin jazz. OBP-2 is all wired inside except for the volume pot and toggle switch... parts arrive tomorrow!

Attachments

• E5F25720-A13A-4F13-B7EA-1FDC0BAF1495.jpeg
    E5F25720-A13A-4F13-B7EA-1FDC0BAF1495.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 257
  • 3EAAB713-0DE6-4F59-928B-37E9953E3420.jpeg
    3EAAB713-0DE6-4F59-928B-37E9953E3420.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 266
  • 8D20C880-ED2F-448F-9E02-F2358BECCF64.jpeg
    8D20C880-ED2F-448F-9E02-F2358BECCF64.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 257

CeeJ

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Looks like you had fun with that! Excellent.
SO... how does it sound now with the OBP & MEC's combined?

Top Bottom