Pedals You Want To Try

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I will order a Darkglass B3k V2. Not for the standard playing, but for the 8/10 string sounds.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Is this for bass too?
It sure is. Has a blend control for blending in the clean signal which us bassists often like to do.
The EQ on it is also operating at the right frequencies for a bass guitar (although I leave that in the neutral setting all the time).

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
By now you guys know that I love synth pedals but never buy them and can't see using them. But this is cool all the same.

Reaction score
They've been making that MXR M-117R Flanger f0r a long time. In fact I had one back in about 1978-1980... Back then the 4-knob MXR pedals ran on an attached AC power cord. I also had an MXR M-143 Limiter back then and it also has an attached AC cord, like this oneI saw a while backl on Reverb:
MXR Limiter (AC Powered) 1980s - Reverb - 01.jpg

I also found one of the 70s Flangers pictures on Reverb just now... with the AC cord thing happening...
MXR Flanger (AC Powered) 1980s - Reverb - 01.jpg

Reaction score
They also had a picture of the guts inside the 70s version, I thought I'd post that so you could compare if curious... I think the "Reticom" chip had some significance. And
this was long before the "True Bypass" fad/craze thing... (welcome to the world of POP when you stomp on your new True Bypass switches... LOL)

I'm just going to guess, but I would imagine all of those many resistors are gone and a new silicon computer chip of some kind has replaced them, allowing the device to run on 9 volys instead of 110 volts... or something like that... (I know zippitty doo-dah nothing about electronics)

MXR Flanger (AC Powered) 1980s - Reverb - 08.jpg

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
I've been looking for a "Leslie" speaker simulator pedal and found this affordable TC Electronic one from their "normal" analog series... compared with most "Leslie" pedals out there this is a no brainer... only 42€

Reaction score
Wow, TC is hitting it out oif the park with some of these inexponsive effects... thanks for sharing... I maybe wouldn't have normally even paid attention because I thought it was just a "cheap pedal"... here's a couple more demo YouTubes I found... $49.99 here in the states...

Reaction score
Speaking of inexpensive pedals... I just picked up a Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser... I paid $23.99 for it just a couple weeks ago on the Sweetwater page... I guess I got there just before a price increase to a whopping $33.00... LOL
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VP1phase--behringer-vp1-vintage-phaser-pedal

If you skip passed his blah blah talking to 2:16, this guy compares the pedal to an EHX Nano Small Stone phaser... the video is long, and I didn't listen to the whole thing but I thought the comparison was good enough that from this video I spent the $23.99 and got a pretty decent sounding phase shifter... it more dramatic and sounds better to me with the tone switch in the UP position... to my ears anyways... live and in person, too...

I think the only thing if any would be the size of the box... the Behringer is a bigger pedal than the EHX Small Stone... if size matters...

Same Behringer pedal versus an MXR Phase 90... the Tone switch on the Behringer adds a dimension the Phase 90 doesn't have... Behringer... $30... MXR Phase 90 $100... hmmmm -- if size is an issue, the MXR ius smaller...

For the $23.99 and free shipping I got and paid, I'm stoked... I love modulation anything ans was happy to experiment with cash to try this pedal...

The only foobar I have with it, as well as most True Bypass pedals, is the "POP" you get with True Bypass when you engage/disengage the pedal... I have True Bypass pedals costing way way more that still do the POP thing... somebody in music marketing brain washed us like zombies eating brains into thinking True Bypass is the only way to go...

I might add (in that vein)... or (brainnnnnssss)... the Source Audio Orbital Modulator I have allows you to start it in True Bypass or regular buiffered bypass, which gets rid of the POP os the Tryue Bypass... so there is an OUT if the pedal manufacturers want to add it...

This is what the older EHX Small Stone used to look like, and the vibe Behringer is trying to get:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
There are a lot of great tones in this relatively simple envelope filter.

Reaction score
There are a lot of great tones in this relatively simple envelope filter.

That's my main Filter
Except the casing looks different

Hey, Octave Pedal, Boss OC-2 or did you go for something else I'd been meaning to ask, cheers!

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
3 Leaf are assholes. I refuse to buy any of their products.

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
Hey, Octave Pedal, Boss OC-2 or did you go for something else I'd been meaning to ask, cheers!

I actually ended up using a Digitech Bass Synth Wah that I already had kicking around. I had no idea it could do a straight octave sound until I saw someone post about it on TB. I like it because it sounds nothing like an OC-2. I like to buck the trends. It also tracks extremely well. I used it on a recording session at the end of February and the recording engineer (also a bassist) really loved it.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
What did they do to upset you?

They had a deal with Darkglass to produce their products in the states. For a short while this went okay and the pedals were actually good.
Then 3leaf launched a new brand named "Pike audio" and built the same pedals but with a red face instead of black and their own brand on it. Those were exact copies of the Darkglass product line.

Of course, Douglas was furious and the whole thing blew up on large forums like TB and BC.
The guy running 3leaf told the community he felt awful about the situation and couldnt sleep as a result, but it was already too late. He alone had caused this and it was a low low move driven by greed.

As a result and because I hold Douglas in very high regard, I will not look at 3leaf products ever again.

Reaction score
I actually ended up using a Digitech Bass Synth Wah that I already had kicking around. I had no idea it could do a straight octave sound until I saw someone post about it on TB. I like it because it sounds nothing like an OC-2. I like to buck the trends. It also tracks extremely well. I used it on a recording session at the end of February and the recording engineer (also a bassist) really loved it.

Ok, good one

I thought about the OC-2 because if it's not for me I can on sell it

I have found a MXR Bass Octave? About $125US here in NZ
We are in lock down so if I buy it then 3 weeks minimum until delivery.

Reaction score
They had a deal with Darkglass to produce their products in the states. For a short while this went okay and the pedals were actually good.
Then 3leaf launched a new brand named "Pike audio" and built the same pedals but with a red face instead of black and their own brand on it. Those were exact copies of the Darkglass product line.

Of course, Douglas was furious and the whole thing blew up on large forums like TB and BC.
The guy running 3leaf told the community he felt awful about the situation and couldnt sleep as a result, but it was already too late. He alone had caused this and it was a low low move driven by greed.

As a result and because I hold Douglas in very high regard, I will not look at 3leaf products ever again.

I don't know anything about this
Thanks for the heads up
I'll do some digging

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
I have found a MXR Bass Octave? About $125US here in NZ

I tried one of those and thought it was quite good. The knob labeled "growl" will get you very close to the classic OC-2 sound. Add in the "girth" knob and the mid-boost switch and you've got a surprising range of tones. I was even in a band for awhile where the trumpeter played through one.

One thing it won't do that the OC-2 does is go down two octaves. But this is mostly useless on bass anyway.

Reaction score
I tried one of those and thought it was quite good. The knob labeled "growl" will get you very close to the classic OC-2 sound. Add in the "girth" knob and the mid-boost switch and you've got a surprising range of tones. I was even in a band for awhile where the trumpeter played through one.

One thing it won't do that the OC-2 does is go down two octaves. But this is mostly useless on bass anyway.

Are MXR pedals made in China?
It's remarkably difficult to get an answer on this

Top Bottom