Replacement For Mec Pan Pot 85525?

Reaction score
I've managed to find a pdf that I believe relates to my 88 Thumb. It show's the Bass/Treble pot to be 85110. I've identified that one and ordered it from Warwick.de shop.

The pan pot, that's a little worn, is listed as a 85525. I can't find any trace of that one in any online documentation.

I'm wondering if the number is wrong or perhaps it's been discontinued.

If anyone has any knowledge on this it would be appreciated.

Peter

Reaction score
Hi Peter,

I think it is more than safe to order "Balance Pot for active pickups" MEC Balance Pot Modules, for active Pickups, JST Solderless Connector

Your thumb should have active EMG pickups, right? If they are passive, look at the one for passive pickups, nevermind the code.
A good point. I think that the pickups are passive but I'm not certain. There is a white, thicker wire going to the blend pot (the other pup wire from memory is red). To me, white and thick indicates 2 core = active and the red = power. But the white wire only seemed to have one wire exposed and soldered. It the EMGs are active I've probably spent €40 on the wrong bass/treble pot which is my priority (the pan pot will do at a push)!

I'll take another look. Your advice and knowledge is appreciated. My previous Thumbs were MECs.

Edited to add; Yes, I should have taken my time. The pups are active. I am trying to read the numbers on the pots atm.

Peter

Last edited:
Reaction score
I can't read the full number on the bass/treble pot as the soldered earth covers it. I'm trying to call Germany to cancel my order. If anyone has an Active pickup EMG with a 2 EQ MEC pre-amp from this era and they know or can read the bass/treble potentiometer number it would be appreciated.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I don't know about availability, but this is the diagram:

20191112_082320.jpg

Reaction score
Thank you. That is the pdf that I have. I believe that this relates to a 91 model and I'm unsure if it is the same. My (replaced) volume pot is a 84500 not an 85500. I think that the '4' relates to the push/pull active passive as the 85500 isn't push/pull. Both are B500K. Interestingly the bass/treble pot shown here has reversed wiring i.e my upper element (viewed from the cavity) is wired blue/green/yellow and right to left, not left to right as shown above.

My plan is to take the pot out today, try a really good cleaning see if that sorts it out. If not I'll unsolder it and try to view the number. It could be that the new 85110 just needs to be wired as above to work correctly?

I'll update.

BTW I've received an email telling me that the 85110 pot has shipped...

Peter

Reaction score
Well, things move on. I got an email back from Germany saying that my part had been put on hold. They asked for a photo and a serial number so that they could investigate. Great service from Andy Freyer. I unscrewed the bass/treble pot and the blend pot from the bass so that I could better get some switch cleaner and lube in there. I sprayed contact cleaner into the pot with the bass control in various positions, into a rag - copious amounts. I then did the same with some Servisol Super 10 switch cleaner and lubricant. The bass pot improved considerably and it's now quite useable.

I bolted everything back together and the bass control stiffened up considerably again. I loosened the pot securing nut and it's freed off again. I'm happy with it now and I've emailed to cancel my order with Warwick. The replaced volume pot that is a push pull was presumably fitted as 'close' enough because the passive active doesn't work and was presumably a later modification?

Peter

Top Bottom