What To Clean Warwick Corvette $$ (black Oil) With?

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve
Hey there. New to the forum and a new Warwick owner. Have a Corvette $$ in that wood grain black color. What do you use to clean it? Would Dunlop 65 polish work ok? Thank you.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Hi @öldtimer , welcome to the forum. Could you post a pic? Soft cloth and water is recommended, it is a pretty thin and delicate finish, the wood itself (probably swamp ash) is soft, so it is easy to scratch. Also you may want to preserve the matte looks as much as possible, overdoing it will make it shiny :)
No matter how much you protect it, it will show signs of use, we kinda love the mojo :)

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve
Cool, thank you for the suggestions and that Warwick manual is excellent.

Here are a few pictures. It's a 2007 model so no brass nut. Bought it for $750. Has a few little knicks but look's great. Waiting for it to arrive so these pictures are the sellers.

Could I upgrade to the brass Just-A-Nut III ?

Attachments

• bass1.JPG
    bass1.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 297
  • bas2.JPG
    bas2.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 302
  • bass3.JPG
    bass3.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
Hello there, and congrats for the bass.

Your bass has what Warwick calls a "coloured oil" finish, in this case it's Nirvana Black. Well, the first thing you should know for those "coloured oil" finishes is to NEVER wax it. Best thing is what Florin said, a humid soft cloth should work fine.

For the neck and fretboard you could use Dunlop (or whatever other musical instrument brand you like) lemmon oil.

Cheers.

Hector

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw now Warwick recommends any kind of polish, but the finish today is different than in 2007. Now they are using UV finish, it is also very thin, but it is also harder.

Ok, you are correct. I posted the 2013 manual. If you want the most recent manual (2018?) you should go here: en/Warwick---Support.html and select the type / model of bass. However, the content looks pretty much the same between 2013 and 2018.

A quick comparison of the 2018 Custom Shop Masterbuilt and the Pro Series Teambuilt manuals; only the Custom Shop Masterbuilt manual shows care information for the Natural Oil Finish (this was removed from the Pro Series Teambuilt manual). However, while I have not compared it word for word, nor have I looked at each individual model's manual (most seem to share the same manual), the care instructions seem to be the same.

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score
`

I have one exactly like that, about
the same age or a bit older. It has
some shiny spots from my hands.
So I don't really worry about any
cleaners that might also be shiny,
altho mostly I clean with Windex,
just cuz thaz what I have around.

I don't keep any great variety of
household cleaning products on
hand, and of those I have around
it seems Windex is the mildest.

As others have said, and here I'll
rephrase, if you're gonna get anal
about preserving the finish, then
you have the wrong finish !

Hector

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
From what I can tell Windex is a glass cleaner.. and it contains Ammonia, a very very harsh caustic..

I would not put that anywhere near, or on, an instrument...

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score
`

From what I can tell Windex is a glass cleaner.. and
it contains Ammonia, a very very harsh caustic..

I would not put that anywhere near, or on, an
instrument...

Well it certainly IS a glass cleaner. And I have
worked with 56% ammonia .... the industrial,
very concentrated version .... which is so harsh
one can't even inhale anywhere near it. OTOH
Windex is nothing like that. IIRC, Windex is
sold with or without ammonia.

Nevertheless, I will take no offense if you feel
you can never buy a clean used instrument of
mine. To each their own :)

Last edited:

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Could I upgrade to the brass Just-A-Nut III ?

You sure can. Here's a quick tutorial from JANII to III, but from Tedur to Brass is the same process. It's super simple. Razor blade, super glue and a tiny bit of patience. Let us know if you have any questions.

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
From what I can tell Windex is a glass cleaner.. and it contains Ammonia, a very very harsh caustic..

I would not put that anywhere near, or on, an instrument...

Absolutely. Never use glass cleaner, ammonia or not, on any Wick finish.

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score
`

Absolutely. Never use glass cleaner, ammonia
or not, on any Wick finish.
Mebbe you'd care to explain further ?

BTW, stating "any Wick finish" seems
way too broad. Surely W's hard, glossy
finishes [I admit, not very common] are
the same hard poly as other brands. I've
seen EBMM'S hard gloss refuse to yield
even to acetone ... as when a luthier was
cleaning off dried excess super glue.

FWIW, acoarst I don't Windex any wax
finished W's. But my colored oil bodies,
and an old bubinga Vett refin'd with gun
stock oil [basically linseed oil] show no
effects from Windex. What is suppozed
to happen from using Windex ?

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve
Thank you for the help everyone. Well finally got the Warwick German made Corvette $$. Have a few issues...

The brass frets have that greenish tarnish color. Not completely but on them. Is there a way to clean that off and polish them up?

Finally the two pickups on the $$.. one or two of the big dot magnets has some slight rusty color on them.. is that bad?

Just want to know because if that is BAD then should I return it to the seller? I got it for $750 which I thought was a good deal..

The screws also look rusty.

Everything else looks in good shape.. neck, body, etc. I will post some pics soon.

Last edited:

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Thank you for the help everyone. Well finally got the Warwick German made Corvette $$. Have a few issues...

The brass frets have that greenish tarnish color. Not completely but on them. Is there a way to clean that off and polish them up?

Finally the two pickups on the $$.. one or two of the big dot magnets has some slight rusty color on them.. is that bad?

Just want to know because if that is BAD then should I return it to the seller? I got it for $750 which I thought was a good deal..

The screws also look rusty.

Everything else looks in good shape.. neck, body, etc. I will post some pics soon.

Fairly normal to see some rusty bits. Probably from sweat, humidity. Should be able to polish it off decently, no problem. The price you paid seems very fair, and it's a "normal" occurrence... so need to think about a return for something that minor.

As for the frets, there are several options. Personally, I'd stay away from ever using steel wool. Zero need to use that messy stuff. Way too much of a hassle. My personal favorite as of now, is this cheap set of ultra fine 3M paper and a cheap set of board protectors. This works great for me. Zero mess, cleans up the frets beautifully. The one metal board protector that comes with it, won't fit the jumbo frets. So get a cheap set for that. As for conditioning the board....I'm a big fan of Nomad's F1 oil.

Here are some links. Good luck :)

https://www.amazon.com/Rosette-Guit...gateway&sprefix=fret+cleaning,aps,276&sr=8-13

https://www.amazon.com/Music-Nomad-...HDHAR687X0H&psc=1&refRID=VRXTN3XSTHDHAR687X0H

https://www.amazon.com/Music-Nomad-...B08V62B0WMV&psc=1&refRID=TXJ9C0VW5B08V62B0WMV

And a satin finish cleaner, if you haven't already picked one up...

https://www.amazon.com/Music-Nomad-...=B003TLIJEG&psc=1&refRID=EXXMJMEY6APRBHDZAV3H

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve
Fairly normal to see some rusty bits. Probably from sweat, humidity. Should be able to polish it off decently, no problem. The price you paid seems very fair, and it's a "normal" occurrence... so need to think about a return for something that minor.

As for the frets, there are several options. Personally, I'd stay away from ever using steel wool. Zero need to use that messy stuff. Way too much of a hassle. My personal favorite as of now, is this cheap set of ultra fine 3M paper and a cheap set of board protectors. This works great for me. Zero mess, cleans up the frets beautifully. The one metal board protector that comes with it, won't fit the jumbo frets. So get a cheap set for that. As for conditioning the board....I'm a big fan of Nomad's F1 oil.

Here are some links. Good luck :)

https://www.amazon.com/Rosette-Guitar-Polishing-Utimate-Cleaning/dp/B00BNVHCYM/ref=sr_1_13?crid=1CLMEJIT2KJEG&keywords=fret+cleaning+kit&qid=1567872373&s=gateway&sprefix=fret+cleaning,aps,276&sr=8-13

https://www.amazon.com/Music-Nomad-...HDHAR687X0H&psc=1&refRID=VRXTN3XSTHDHAR687X0H

https://www.amazon.com/Music-Nomad-...B08V62B0WMV&psc=1&refRID=TXJ9C0VW5B08V62B0WMV

And a satin finish cleaner, if you haven't already picked one up...

https://www.amazon.com/Music-Nomad-...=B003TLIJEG&psc=1&refRID=EXXMJMEY6APRBHDZAV3H

What about this cloth for the frets?

Gorgomyte Fret And Fingerboard Conditioner

Top Bottom