I Recently Noticed A Funny Thing With Warwick 3 Band Preamp. It Kills Sub Frequencies Really Badly!

Reaction score
I recently noticed a funny thing with Warwick 3 band Preamp.

I do hear the difference between it is turned on and off. And i like it more when it is turned on.

But the funny thing i recently found which i missed previously how sub frequncies are affected with Warwick 3 band preamp.

When it is on they are cut and high passed. But when preamp is off they are much more there.

This effect might not be as noticed on conventional bass cabs like which heavy low pass at 50 Hz like regular SVT 8x10
But is more noticable on cabs which go lower like regular SVT 4x10.
Or if you connect you bass straight in to DI with no amplification.

I have German made Warwick Dark Lord Bass 4 BO to play Christian music!!!

Do you think guys that modding bass to 18 volts will solve this problem or no?

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Sorry Woody. I didn't mean that. But seriously taking out subs from a bass guitar is actually quite helpful in the mix more then often and makes the thud of the kickdrum stand out more.

I usually dial out everything underneath 60hz quite steep when EQing bass while boosting slightly somewhere near the 85-125hz mark. This way the bass will sound strong on smaller home speakers as well as on larger ones.

So cutting subs is actually nice.

Reaction score
Hi DiMarco.
Thank you for the responce.

Most of time i play true solo music, which means 1 instrument (me), and no back ground music.
So my instrument has full frequncy space.

But even when it goes to mix i do it totaly differently to what most people do. Many peoople do not like my music either solo or full mix ha ha ha. But i do not care.

I really enjoy my music my self personally. And if there will be 1 human beyond my self I can make happy that will be extremely fantastic!!!

Reaction score
I thought maby it might be problem with head room. Because it is noticable on other strings but mostly it is noticable on F# string.
I saw on Youtube people were doing mods on electric guitar EMG picups and low frequincy where improved according to sound examples which where in videos.
But I totally understand nothing in this topic!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is this fine to run Warwick bass with MEC active TJ and MEC Active J picups with MEC 3 band Eq at 27 Volts?

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I wouldn't try running the pre at 27v. That might just fry the pre. instead of give more headroom!

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
Hello there...

Cutting sub-lows is what's done in every mix and master to allow music to sound "clean"...

If you need those very low frecuencies you could always boost them at mix, or add some sub octave effect, for example.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
If by sub frequencies you mean frequencies that your speaker driver can not reproduce, this is a very good thing. You do not load the driver's coil with useless energy, you do not cause overexcursion of the driver's cone, and without the unreproducible frequencies' movements, the speaker driver actually moves better with the reproducible frequencies and sounds more musical and less distorted. I'm on vacation right now, but when I return I will check if the 2-band or 3-band cut the very low frequencies, under 20-30Hz. If they have an integrated high pass filter that is actually pretty awesome.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
There is people that use a HPF filter as an effect or tone improvement tool. With such a tool you can remove very low frequencies unreproducible by your driver, or even audible very low frequencies that are unwanted. Upright players use such things to tame low end boom on their instruments.

Here's an example of such a solution in pedal form, that a fellow in the U.S. makes:

HPF-Pre, updated December 16, 2018 - hpftechllc

Reaction score
If by sub frequencies you mean frequencies that your speaker driver can not reproduce, this is a very good thing. You do not load the driver's coil with useless energy, you do not cause overexcursion of the driver's cone, and without the unreproducible frequencies' movements, the speaker driver actually moves better with the reproducible frequencies and sounds more musical and less distorted. I'm on vacation right now, but when I return I will check if the 2-band or 3-band cut the very low frequencies, under 20-30Hz. If they have an integrated high pass filter that is actually pretty awesome.

HPF-Pre, updated December 16, 2018 - hpftechllc

I seternly do not want to remove anything from my sound.
My bass sound is usually flat settings on Ampeg SVT CL amplifier except i fully cut down treble on bass amp and on my bass 3 band preamp

Awrybody have their own tastes in sound!!!

This problem is not very noticable on like SVT 8x10 cabs has usable frequncies to about 50 Hz but much more noticable on SVT 4x10HLF which has usable frequncies to about 28 Hz. And at the moument i like SVT 4x10HLF the most for my sound.

I looked to Internet tand there is a confusion about SVT 4x10 HLF cabs. And different sourced post different spects abou this cab so i give you a link to it with correct specs:
Ampeg: Heritage Series - SVT-410HLF

Also if you connect your bass straight to DI that effect will be also very noticeable.

This problem can be heared on all strings but the most pronanced it is on F# and then the effect if reduced if you go upper.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Maybe you guys want to hear how my bass sounds. and i have similar sound to this. Ampeg SVT CL with Ampeg SVT 4x10HLF:
Distortion is coused by one of solid state Presonus compressor

Top Bottom