Cali 76 Bass Compressor

Reaction score
DiMarco Mentioned it in the chat box earlier today and I was intrigued but unable to post any pics or anything about it in the chat box so here you go. Has anyone else tried it ?

Cali76 Compact Bass Compressor Pedal

8DACD2A2-5B64-49AE-BF48-75FE4184212A.png

Last edited:

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Before this one I owned;
  • Markbass Compressore
  • Aguilar TLC
  • Darkglass SuperSymmetry
  • Darkglass Hyperluminal
The Cali sounds more gritty, beefy and natural. I want compression to make my tone more solid within the mix. This pedal does so without being obvious or squashing low end. I really do love this pedal and never play without it.

Reaction score
The Auckland NZ based guy on here has one
Look for nightmareconclusions

Reaction score
I haven't played a Cali
But if you string your Precisions with flats
HAVE A GO on Diamond BCP

Florin

OG
Reaction score
I remember I was in my quest to look for the perfect compressor, I asked around a lot, and I was lucky enough to ask directly some of the greatest players. I was surprised to find that nobody really use them. True story :)
I always use some sort of mild overdrive/distortion, so the signal I send is already a bit compressed by it. And the FOH guys usually will have better compressors than we can afford, and usually they will know how to use them better. You cannot properly setup the compression by yourself, because you need to hear the bass in the context, so only the sound guy knows if and how much compression you really need.
Being a control freak, I used rack compressors, including a top tier EL Distressor, but I am not sure it really made a difference in the big picture.
Actually by far the best dynamics control tool I ever used was in ear monitoring :) YOu cannot beat that.
Right now I use the old trusty Sans Amp BDDI, that's it

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
When you play smaller stages where there's no sound reinforcement going on other then vocals and the occasional drum mics, having a good compressor can help making your whole band sound more tight. Drums pop out better when the bassguitar is more even in the mix.

As a lover of small gigs I swear by good compression. It makes the world a better place.

I can easily play without a comp, but I just love how punchy and tight this pedal makes the bass sound.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
When you play smaller stages where there's no sound reinforcement going on other then vocals and the occasional drum mics, having a good compressor can help making your whole band sound more tight. Drums pop out better when the bassguitar is more even in the mix.

As a lover of small gigs I swear by good compression. It makes the world a better place.

I can easily play without a comp, but I just love how punchy and tight this pedal makes the bass sound.
I was offtopic anyway...

Reaction score
And the FOH guys usually will have better compressors than we can afford, and usually they will know how to use them better. You cannot properly setup the compression by yourself, because you need to hear the bass in the context, so only the sound guy knows if and how much compression you really need.

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!
Unknown acronym! ;)

So, Florin what exactly is an FOH?

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Front Of House - the sound system as a whole :)

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
I like compression too. My Demeter Opto-Compulator works amazingly fine on live settings. It's not the grittiest comp out there, though.

Reaction score
Front Of House - the sound system as a whole :)
It does make sense what you said, because in that environment you can lose the overall perspective with all the other instruments/amps around you.

I currently have three compressors spanning my guitar and bass days. The first one, a Japanese Boss CS-2, I got new in the 80's because The Fixx's guitarist used one, and compressors were supposed to help with sustain.

About ten years ago, I got some MXR model that emulated a type that Gilmour liked either before or after he used the CS-2.

In 2017 I got one because it had an awesome name and the artwork on the box reminded me of Leia Harrington, LOL.

Photon Death Ray Compressor.jpg

But it also was my first and only optical one, highlighted and recommended by one of the Warwick Forum members in a thread on compressors.

I mean we've all done it at one time or another, when we want to try different things. Kind of like women and shoes- ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom