Pedals You Want To Try

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
Although upgrading my chorus pedal wouldn't normally take much priority, I've come to the conclusion that if I want to add any more pedals, I'll first need to switch from an 18v chorus to a 9v, so I'll have an outlet open on my Voodoo Lab Pedal Power. Running the tuner on a battery is feasible, but not very satisfying. And so, now I'm obsessing over chorus pedals.

Here's demo of the EHX.

The TC Corona sounds damn good too.

Reaction score
It is a nice soft chorus sound. I suppose it depends on how it's recorded.

Your jazz/funk piece sounds very lush --nice. Are your recording mic'd into analog?

Reaction score
My past chorus experience was with the Boss CE3 and that of the Lexicon LXP-5. Both with guitars. The CE3 didn't sound so well with bass. Nor did the Boss BF2 flanger-

Last edited:

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
I'd used chorus and phaser on my bass and I must say I like phaser over chorus. Although, for some things I rather use chorus.

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
Are your recording mic'd into analog?

No, it was DI'd through the Radial Bassbone.

The CE3 didn't sound so well with bass. Nor did the Boss BF2 flanger-

I have a CEB-3, and I'm not real fond of it. It lacks lushness and warmth to my ears. I've heard people say that the CE-5 is actually better for bass.

I personally love the BF-2 on bass. I'm pretty sure Scott Thunes used that for his tone with Zappa in the 80s.

Reaction score
Here's another potential winner.

All the pedals you've posted sound good. For me it would depend on what mood I was trying to evoke in a particular song. Although I used to experiment a lot with time delay effects on guitar, my tendency with bass is to go with not much effects.

Reaction score

I have a CEB-3, and I'm not real fond of it. It lacks lushness and warmth to my ears. I've heard people say that the CE-5 is actually better for bass.

I personally love the BF-2 on bass. I'm pretty sure Scott Thunes used that for his tone with Zappa in the 80s.

The CE 3 I got back in the mid-eighties, I believe they still made them in Japan back then--very lush with the guitar but the circuitry is different than later models. The BF 2 I got at about the same time and was great with guitar, But I gave both of them away last year. It was a younger musician friend who never tried them before. First I let him try them to see if he liked them, then he offered to buy them. But I just gave them away because he and his band are struggling to do it full time.

Reaction score

I looked it up- now that’s a pedal I’d liked to try. So you DI’d out of it into a DAW via an analog to digital interface like an Apogee Duet or something similar?

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
I looked it up- now that’s a pedal I’d liked to try. So you DI’d out of it into a DAW via an analog to digital interface like an Apogee Duet or something similar?

Yep. The interface was an Akai Professional (pictured below) and the DAW was Reaper.

Reaction score
Yep. The interface was an Akai Professional (pictured below) and the DAW was Reaper.

That’s an impressive looking piece of equipment, and I love red!

Back in the 80’s I had an Akai cassette player that you could DI into with two 1/4 inch instrument jacks and record two track stereo at the same time. I once did a recording of my guitar straight out of my Lexicon LXP-5’s stereo outputs and it sounded pretty good. I also used it for mix down from my analog Tascam Portastudio 05. Sadly the tape transport mechanism eventually failed and I was never able to get it properly fixed.

The thing that impressed me about the Bassbone, among other things was the parallel effects loop where you could adjust the level of mix.

Thank you for sharing.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
This video makes me want to check out the MXR Bass Pre.

What kind of sorcery is this? There's already the M80 by MXR. Seriously, very sweet ane enlightening test. That's more or less all the effects I like to use with a bass, and in that order. Only difference I would go for much more drive.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I have been browsing through pedals in online shops for weeks now but think I am really done?
WOW.

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
Bass Whammy!!

Tech 21 Red Ripper... this is a very rare bird... I'm not even sure if they are still making them.

Last edited:

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
If I were playing in a heavier band, I'd be checking out one of these for sure.

My late pal Sebas bought the original (guitar?) version of this pedal and it was instantly part of his sound. That thing sounded amazing with his Gibson 335 and his Marshall amp.

One day I tried it with my bass and it was very impressive, I remember I said ""they should make a "bass version"". So this for sure is a pedal I´d love to have, it blends sub-octave and fuzz, two of my favorite sounds.

Reaction score
I have a Boss HM2 I bought back in the 80’s. I wonder how that would work with a bass. I’ll have to wait until I finish my interior restoration project to try it out.

Reaction score
I have a Boss HM2 I bought back in the 80’s. I wonder how that would work with a bass. I’ll have to wait until I finish my interior restoration project to try it out.
I found a comparison of different fuzz/overdrive pedals including the HM2-

Top Bottom