Post Your Riff Of The Day

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
Good feedback. I think maybe because it's such a high-note riff to begin with, and then I'm just using the octave-up on the POG. I wonder if I could get away with mixing some octave-down into there? A touch of OD may help too. I think I may need to adjust my autowah settings a tad as well.

Here it is again with the octave-down added in and the autowah dialed in a little better.

Dropbox - POGwah slap w lower octave 03092019.mp3

PaulS

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Definitely fills it out, very cool sounding. And I apologize for criticizing!

PaulS

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Lol I am sure you can, just could have said that better! I need to post some of my stuff so people can rip it up :)

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
I've been into the egg slicer lately. Tonight I took an old bass idea I had recorded a couple of years ago and overdubbed rhythm and lead guitar, using my Squier Strat. The lead guitar is also running through a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive.

Dropbox - 019 Dm w guitar 03232019.mp3

Bonus for the theory nerds: The bass line is outlining a static Dm chord. The rhythm guitar plays Dm, Cmaj, Am, Fmaj. So why does this work? Because in this context, the guitar chords are actually serving as extensions of what the bass is defining as the harmonic center. Check it out:

Dm (D F A) + Cmaj (C E G) = Dm11 (D F A C E G)

Dm (D F A) + Am (A C E) = Dm9 (D F A C E)

Dm (D F A) + Fmaj (F A C) = Dm7 (D F A C)

There's also a movement there, starting with the most basic (Dm), jumping to the most complex (Dm11), and then stepping back downwards from there (Dm9, Dm7, back to Dm at the top). That wasn't on purpose. I actually only noticed it when I typed this post. But it's kind of cool, like a tension and release thing. The downward motion of the part sort of reinforces this too, I think.

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Were you inspired by Scatterbrain to learn that?
I had a feeling you would know that :)

This was just me throwing it together, so it needs little more work...but yes, it was inspired by Scatterbrain.

So check this out. I got on Scatterbrains FB page and asked if them or Ludichrist were planning on coming to SoCal anytime soon. And Tommy responded. We exchanged a few post and turns out he's a pretty cool dude....unfortunately there's no plans on coming here anytime soon, but I'll be up to date if they do

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Here's a riff I woke up to yesterday and stuck with me all day at work......came home and recorded it

Okay, so I added to this.....it's a subtle change but I think it goes good with it. I think I'm going to try it with some Wah next :)

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
"My" riff of the day is actually from our guitarist. This loop is from the guitar solo section of one of our new songs. The guitarist played this line as part of an improvised solo. When I was listening to the rehearsal recordings a few minutes ago, I sat straight up in the chair when I heard this bit, and then made this loop. I'm hoping I can get him to learn it and use it as a permanent part of the song.

Dropbox - Spa 03262016 Roman Loop.mp3

Reactions: RIP
Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
A beat for you, try thinking out of the box if you already know it, which you most probably do. :)

2019-04-16 96bpm.mp3

Finally got to this tonight. I took a different road than I usually do, going for some hard rock tonight. I recorded two versions, a low-gain version and a high-gain version. The low-gain version was through a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive into a Markbass Compressore, into the interface. The high-gain version is the same, except it stacks the Big Game Bedlam Drive in front of the rest of that. Both versions were played on my Carvin six-string bass, using a pick.

Dropbox - Jester 2019-04-16 96bpm (low gain bass version).mp3 - Simplify your life

Dropbox - Jester 2019-04-16 96bpm (high gain bass version).mp3 - Simplify your life

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Finally got to this tonight. I took a different road than I usually do, going for some hard rock tonight. I recorded two versions, a low-gain version and a high-gain version. The low-gain version was through a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive into a Markbass Compressore, into the interface. The high-gain version is the same, except it stacks the Big Game Bedlam Drive in front of the rest of that. Both versions were played on my Carvin six-string bass, using a pick.

Dropbox - Jester 2019-04-16 96bpm (low gain bass version).mp3 - Simplify your life

Dropbox - Jester 2019-04-16 96bpm (high gain bass version).mp3 - Simplify your life

Very happy you went ahead and did this. Both versions are great, I have a slight preference for the cleaner version though. The whole idea has a comic/weird kind of vibe (in a Primus kind of way) from which you can't easily escape apparently. :) Good stuff.

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score

Good job Beef....sounds good!

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
Ironically, the bass line itself is fast, but I'm feeling a half time pulse under it. So add another mid-tempo groove to the list, LOL.

Top Bottom