Post Your Riff Of The Day

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Can I throw in an idea? Somewhat related to the concept of "riff of the day". It goes something like this. A forumer comes up with an interesting drum beat/loop and posts it here for other forumers to perhaps experiment on, record and mix something on it, and post the results. Posting forumer can of course play something over the loop the moment they post it or perhaps afterwards, so that others come up with different uninfluenced ideas. What do you think? :)

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
Can I throw in an idea? Somewhat related to the concept of "riff of the day". It goes something like this. A forumer comes up with an interesting drum beat/loop and posts it here for other forumers to perhaps experiment on, record and mix something on it, and post the results. Posting forumer can of course play something over the loop the moment they post it or perhaps afterwards, so that others come up with different uninfluenced ideas. What do you think? :)

Allow me to make the first submission. I did this on my Alesis SR18. Tricky rhythm here, and a lot of low end already in the kick sound. Should make for an interesting challenge. I'll wait to see what everyone else comes up with, then try something myself.

Dropbox - Alesis 01132019.mp3

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
OK, I've got my riff. That way no one influences me either. I'll wait to post it until others get a chance.

PaulS

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Man that sounds like a Hip Hop beat! Hope to try it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
No one else yet?

I'll wait a little longer to post mine.

In the meantime, I just came up with this riff on my P-bass. I was messing around with different ways to incorporate the open strings into E7 patterns:

Dropbox - E7 open string riff 01162019.mp3

PaulS

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Gonna try this weekend , fighting a kidney stone right now lol it’s bad

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory

Allow me to make the first submission. I did this on my Alesis SR18. Tricky rhythm here, and a lot of low end already in the kick sound. Should make for an interesting challenge. I'll wait to see what everyone else comes up with, then try something myself.

Dropbox - Alesis 01132019.mp3

OK, I've got my riff. That way no one influences me either. I'll wait to post it until others get a chance.

OK, I've waited long enough to share this, I think. Not that it's exactly Beethoven's 9th or anything. But I think it's OK. I took the strategy of going high, and letting the drum machine carry the bottom. I also didn't even try to lock to the kick, instead creating more of a melodic (yet funky) line. If I were to do this for reals I'd probably run the bass through some autowah at least.

Dropbox - alesis sr18 w bass riff 01132019.mp3

And then there's this humble little pentatonic riff I just came up with a few minutes ago. Basically I picked up my P-bass and this little groove just fell right out of it, first thing I played.

Dropbox - Bb penta minor funk 01202019.mp3

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
OK, I've waited long enough to share this, I think. Not that it's exactly Beethoven's 9th or anything. But I think it's OK. I took the strategy of going high, and letting the drum machine carry the bottom. I also didn't even try to lock to the kick, instead creating more of a melodic (yet funky) line. If I were to do this for reals I'd probably run the bass through some autowah at least.

Dropbox - alesis sr18 w bass riff 01132019.mp3

Aha! Now I get it. :) The beat kind of messed with my head but it was just because I was treating it in a more "conventional" way in my mind.

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
OK, let's try a more straightforward beat. This has a normal sounding kick drum with a regular pulse. Should be easy enough and maybe even inspire a few good riffs. I haven't written my riff yet. I'm going to challenge myself to record one using the Boss SYB-5, a thoroughly awful pedal, LOL.

Dropbox - alesis 01202019.mp3

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
This is a fun game @jester, even if I am the only one playing. :p

C'mon, someone at least throw me a beat to play over. :)

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
God help me, I think I actually like the sound of this pedal now.

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
OK, I got something. It's basically an F7 pattern. I'm into F today. Towards the end I try to improvise a turnaround progression. There's an idea there, but what I played doesn't quite work at the end.

Dropbox - 2019-01-22 100bpm (jester, w me on bass).mp3

That's not fair! You posted your clip before I posted the drum beat, in something like minus 2.37 microseconds, heh.
Just listened to it and it's way cool, so interesting. Even the final part I find on point so to speak. It has something
like a comic character. (What was the name of that epic tune with the rodent again? :) )

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
Been a while since I've contributed anything, but I picked up an EHX Nano POG today, and was just saying to myself "I wonder if it will work with slap?" Turns out the answer is yes. ;)

This goes POG > EHX QBalls (autowah) > Markbass Compressore

Dropbox - POGwah slap 03092019.mp3

PaulS

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Very cool sounding, though it lacks balls

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
Very cool sounding, though it lacks balls

Good feedback. I think maybe because it's such a high-note riff to begin with, and then I'm just using the octave-up on the POG. I wonder if I could get away with mixing some octave-down into there? A touch of OD may help too. I think I may need to adjust my autowah settings a tad as well.

Top Bottom