New Custom Precision Type Bass [building Content Inside]

Reaction score
I was asked to build a custom bass based on a Precision Bass, with some features not so comum on a P bass. So the requested spec were:

- Body wood: Walnut (2 pieces Black Walnut - Juglans Nigra)
- Neck wood: Maple, carbon reinforced (Matching Headstock)
- Fretboard wood: Pau Ferro
- Neck specs: 34" scale with 22 frets. String spacing 17.5mm - 9.5" radius
- Frets: EVO Gold (Small)
- Tuning Machines: Gotoh GB707 (Gold)
- Bridge: Schaller 3D-5 (Gold)
- Pickups: Nordstrand NP5v (Volume + Tone)
- Finish: Tru Oil (Satin)

This is the mockup os what is supposed to look like:
Precisionbass_Mockup - cópia.JPG

Now the Building process:
IMG_7453.jpg
IMG_7464.JPG

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Awesome! You know by now I love threads like this. Did you discuss with your customer the possibility of a reverse P, or are they very specific about it?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awesome! You know by now I love threads like this. Did you discuss with your customer the possibility of a reverse P, or are they very specific about it?

Ahahah, me too!! ;)
Well, I actually did, but on that matter he wants it as "Classic" as possible, Nordstrand P vintage, not reversed and with the 60's position.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Ahahah, me too!! ;)
Well, I actually did, but on that matter he wants it as "Classic" as possible, Nordstrand P vintage, not reversed and with the 60's position.

If the bass were a four string maaaaybe I would begin to understand this. The top coil, esp. with 60s position, will make the low B extra boomy and mud. Get me into contact with your customer I will change their mind and save the bass while there's still time, hahaha.

Reaction score
The top coil, esp. with 60s position, will make the low B extra boomy and mud.

Well, not necessarily... It is actually how a P bass is supposed to sound. I've tried a few 5 strings with that configuration, between Sads, Sandberg, Fender Dlx and Sire P7, there are several that use the same config or similar and they sound good. Don't get me wrong, I really prefer the sound of a reversed P, and always with a Jazz on the bridge! But I'm not a Precision guy myself.
The client already have a 5er P bass and he's happy with that sound, so... It's not for me to decide ;)

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
View attachment 19435

The 9.5" radius is done.
Next I'm carving the back of the neck and do the fret slots.

Looking good! I wanted to ask, do you level/radius the neck with the truss rod completely loose? Also, do you sand a bit of relief into the fingerboard while leveling?

Reaction score
I wanted to ask, do you level/radius the neck with the truss rod completely loose?

In this case, I'm doing if from scratch before the neck is carved so I radius the fretboard as flat as possible without any or just a little truss rod stress. I've seen people doing it in different ways, but personally I do it like this and it never failed me.
When you are doing a fretboard reset/re-radius on a existing bass or fret dressing, there's another story.. Usually you have to adjust the truss rod.
In a finished bass, even if the neck relief is perfect with the TR on "loose position", I like to give it a tweek, just enough so it doesn't rattle or cause any strange noises on the neck

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
frets = middle, nut = edge. *wink*
Looks great!

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
That's a dream of mine, a 5er P-bass. A nice one.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
View attachment 19452
All the fret slots are done, now I'll be carving the neck.

Awesome. Another question for you: If you had to deal with a fret slot cut at a slightly wrong position, how would you go about it? I 'm sure it's inconceivable for you seeing a wrongly placed slot since you measure two and three times. :) I'm almost certain you will say "get a new fretboard and cut it right".

Top Bottom