What are you listening to..ATM?

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
I've had the pleasure to hear DiMeola in concert three times. Once leading his World Sinfonia Group, once reviving his 70s electric period, and once for the Return To Forever reunion tour.

Reaction score
Sonny Rollins "Our Man in Jazz"

I bought a five album box set of his but have only listened to this one so far
Highly recommend.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
These local guys. George on the bass is studying at Berklee atm, very interesting bass work and I think he's using some effectology too (not an expert there so can't really tell for sure).

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
I think he's using some effectology too (not an expert there so can't really tell for sure).

Most definitely. He's using an octaver through much of that track (sounds a lot like a Boss OC-2 to me) and at times also brings in an autowah and/or some kind of distortion.

If you want to learn to hear that OC-2 sound, go to 1:10. You can see him look down and step on something at 1:13. He does a little slide, and when the next downbeat hits around 1:15, you can hear that pedal. It's a weird, synthy sound that's quite trendy today in electric jazz.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
For all you double bass lovers, Lauren Pierce. This work is adapted from *violin* mind you.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Prog rock trio, a 20 year old live performance. Songs are 80s material iirc.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
A trio with Henrik Linder from Dirty Loops on bass:

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
  • Prestissimo – even faster than presto (200 bpm and over)

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
It’s very rare for me to hear a song and just not be able to feel it at all. Not that I’m some ace or anything lol, but that threw me.

It was even worse for me, I did not even realize it threw me. Which must be a good thing cause it sounds natural, to my ears at least.

Reaction score
Found this via random YouTube suggestion- I had heard of these guys and heard this well-crafted song when I was in high school but didn’t know who it was until now. Nice bass tone as well-

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Found this via random YouTube suggestion- I had heard of these guys and heard this well-crafted song when I was in high school but didn’t know who it was until now. Nice bass tone as well-

As the name is so common, I had to check if it's Louis Johnson on the bass, and of course it is.

Top Bottom