Post Your Riff Of The Day

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Here's a riff I woke up to yesterday and stuck with me all day at work......came home and recorded it

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
Nice one RIP. I can really hear that with a nice, palm-muted, chugging rhythm guitar. Sort of like the middle bit in Master of Puppets: "Master! Master! Where's the dreams that I've been after!"

Reactions: RIP

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Nice one RIP. I can really hear that with a nice, palm-muted, chugging rhythm guitar. Sort of like the middle bit in Master of Puppets: "Master! Master! Where's the dreams that I've been after!"

I was kinda thinkin the same thing :)

Reaction score
It could be something you wrote today, or something you learned today, but if you've got a riff under your fingers that you didn't have under your fingers yesterday, post a recording of yourself playing it!

I came up with this tonight playing my P-bass with 7-year old flats; not exactly a slap-friendly axe. I tried it on my sixer and my 8-string, and ended up liking the 8-string version the best, although ironically the octave strings don't exactly jump out at you when the instrument is slapped. It's too high-notey to be a main riff, but I think it might make a cool breakdown section.
Dropbox - 8-string melodic slap 07102018.mp3

What a cool riff!

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
What a cool riff!

Thanks! :)

Here is a little loop noodle that I came up with today.

Unfortunately I can't seem to view this. Here's what I see on my end:

8zqy6w.jpg

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory

Here is a little loop noodle that I came up with a little while ago.

Edit: the last video didn't work so I chose an older one from a different source..

Hot dang! Nice slapping! How are you getting the triplets? I get that effect using a double-pop technique but it doesn't look like you're doing that.

Reaction score
Hot dang! Nice slapping! How are you getting the triplets? I get that effect using a double-pop technique but it doesn't look like you're doing that.

Hey mate! thanks for the compliments. Its just a fast "slap,pop,slap,pop" in between the lower bass notes.

G "slap,pop,slap,pop" Bflat "slap,pop,slap,pop" G "slap,pop,slap,pop". Its like a 12/8 time sig I think.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni

Here is a little loop noodle that I came up with a little while ago.

Edit: the last video didn't work so I chose an older one from a different source..

Kick ass playing, extremely tight and musical. The tone is stellar too, for a moment I thought you were playing with a Ken Smith bass (with its characteristic attack transient), and I say that as a huge tone compliment.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Lovely, tight playing indeed.

Reaction score
Kick ass playing, extremely tight and musical. The tone is stellar too, for a moment I thought you were playing with a Ken Smith bass (with its characteristic attack transient), and I say that as a huge tone compliment.

Lovely, tight playing indeed.

Thanks to you both for the compliments!

The Warwick does all the heavy lifting though. A couple of things I noticed straight away with the Corvette $$ 5 was that it is super fast to play. The neck is thin, the strings are the perfect distance away from each other and the tone is amazing. I used to play an Ibanez SR 305 DX (which is still an amazing instrument to play for its price tag) and used a Sansamp driver to beef up the tone. I purchased the Corvette whilst still using the Sansamp and something didn't feel right with the tone. I realized pretty quickly that the stock tone out of the Corvette was amazing and that I didn't need the driver anymore so it got kicked from my board. My default tone is the pickup selector rolled 80% to the bridge pickup with the bridge switch set up and the neck switch set in the middle. If I want a little more guts, I just roll the pickup selector back to the middle. Tone levels mid. I also run my WT550 completely flat and just let the tone of the Warwick come through as clean as it can.

Warwick Corvette fan for life here!

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
My default tone is the pickup selector rolled 80% to the bridge pickup with the bridge switch set up and the neck switch set in the middle.

You are most probably playing with bridge in parallel mode and the neck in single coil mode, which makes a lot of sense. Swamp ash probably keeps your tone beefy while maintaining a great attack because you favor bridge pickup. Good stuff right there.

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
Cool riff, sounds so clear. What type of strings? Are they new? I presume it's your trusty Kiesel sixer.

Thanks. They're DR Pure Blues. They've been on the bass for about two months, and still sound great. I really love these strings. And yes, it's my Kiesel (technically Carvin, since it was from before the name change).

PaulS

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Cool. I really like your top end tone, the pops have a very appealing sound.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Cool. I really like your top end tone, the pops have a very appealing sound.

Yah, my observation precisely, you said it better than me.

Top Bottom