Metalheads Thread - All Things Metal

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Did a search and can't find a Metalheads thread, so here we go......post anything related to Metal

For instance

Here's a pic of Corpsemaker, a show I went to last night.....great band!

20181103_213728.jpg

A pic of my favorite Metalhead vendor

20170429_115236.jpg

And words to always lift the spirits of our kids when they're feeling a little down :)

20170429_114939.jpg

So post away you Metal Maniacs :D

Reaction score
Yay metal! :mad:

A week ago, I was lucky enough to play at the fantastic Asakusa Deathfest in Tokyo with my band. It was great to finally be able to visit Japan, even if it was just for a few days!

adf18finalposter.jpg

I attached a GoPro camera to my bass; here is a short sample. The gig was also recorded properly by a pro (not the sound below though, that is just from the camera), so we'll see if we can do a more proper "live in Japan" video :D

Anyway, here is a short instagram clip: Eyvind Axelsen on Instagram: “A small taste from the bass-cam feed during our @diskordnorway gig at @asakusadeathfest in Tokyo the other day; more to come. Cheers to…”

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Yay metal! :mad:

A week ago, I was lucky enough to play at the fantastic Asakusa Deathfest in Tokyo with my band. It was great to finally be able to visit Japan, even if it was just for a few days!

adf18finalposter.jpg

I attached a GoPro camera to my bass; here is a short sample. The gig was also recorded properly by a pro (not the sound below though, that is just from the camera), so we'll see if we can do a more proper "live in Japan" video :D

Anyway, here is a short instagram clip: Eyvind Axelsen on Instagram: “A small taste from the bass-cam feed during our @diskordnorway gig at @asakusadeathfest in Tokyo the other day; more to come. Cheers to…”
F-ing awesome!!

You are the man!

You got a FB page?.....post a link if you do

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
JESTER APPROVES

Reactions: RIP
Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
I was 13 years old in 1986, a year I'd consider a watershed for metal. Among many other classic albums, three of the genre's most influential came out that year: Slayer's Reign In Blood, Metallica's Master of Puppets and Megadeth's Peace Sells. I was already listening to groups like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, but this stuff was on another level of heaviness. We called this new school of metal "thrash", and that included bands that today would be considered something else such as death metal or black metal: Venom, Possessed, Celtic Frost, Death, etc. There were also a bunch of bands that were considered "crossover" because they started in the hardcore punk scene: Crumbsuckers, Cro-Mags, Bad Brains, DRI, etc. I loved all that stuff, and also some more melodic groups like Flotsam and Jetsam, Helloween, etc.

In 1991 I graduated high school, Metallica started to suck, Nirvana made hard rock mainstream, and I discovered Frank Zappa, bebop, funk, and the avant-garde. By the mid-90s I had turned completely against metal, and the only band that could change my mind was System Of A Down when they hit the radio around 2001 or so. Even still, I wasn't interested in any other metal bands but them.

About three years ago I reconnected with an old friend, and we starting jamming jazz standards at his house from time to time. He would often play me the most extreme metal, the most completely brutal stuff, and I hated it... at first. Then one day he played me a track by Opeth, and something clicked. Since then, he's gotten me into a whole bunch of great bands, including Dark Tranquility, Isis, Mastodon, Protest The Hero, and Soilwork, to name a few favorites.

So yeah, I've come back to the metal. Here's the song responsible for my re-conversion:

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I was 13 years old in 1986, a year I'd consider a watershed for metal. Among many other classic albums, three of the genre's most influential came out that year: Slayer's Reign In Blood, Metallica's Master of Puppets and Megadeth's Peace Sells. I was already listening to groups like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, but this stuff was on another level of heaviness. We called this new school of metal "thrash", and that included bands that today would be considered something else such as death metal or black metal: Venom, Possessed, Celtic Frost, Death, etc. There were also a bunch of bands that were considered "crossover" because they started in the hardcore punk scene: Crumbsuckers, Cro-Mags, Bad Brains, DRI, etc. I loved all that stuff, and also some more melodic groups like Flotsam and Jetsam, Helloween, etc.

In 1991 I graduated high school, Metallica started to suck, Nirvana made hard rock mainstream, and I discovered Frank Zappa, bebop, funk, and the avant-garde. By the mid-90s I had turned completely against metal, and the only band that could change my mind was System Of A Down when they hit the radio around 2001 or so. Even still, I wasn't interested in any other metal bands but them.

About three years ago I reconnected with an old friend, and we starting jamming jazz standards at his house from time to time. He would often play me the most extreme metal, the most completely brutal stuff, and I hated it... at first. Then one day he played me a track by Opeth, and something clicked. Since then, he's gotten me into a whole bunch of great bands, including Dark Tranquility, Isis, Mastodon, Protest The Hero, and Soilwork, to name a few favorites.

So yeah, I've come back to the metal. Here's the song responsible for my re-conversion:

Great story Beef

So here's mine

When I was a 15 (1982) me and my friends started a Jimi Hedrix / Zeppelin cover band, that was about the same time Iron Maiden was becoming popular. There was another high school band that was playing metal and we use to bag on them all the time, it was like a competition on who was better

Secretly I loved metal, but I couldn't admit to my band mates. Well time moved on and in my 20's I went and seen Suicidal and Megadeth on the same bill, and man it was the most electric awesome thing I ever seen.....it was like taking it to a whole new level

Now at age 51 I couldn't tell you a Black Metal band from a Doom Metal band, and I don't care, because I love it all....and I tell you why

I go to metal shows almost every weekend, don't care what sub genre it is, and the the feeling is still the same, I walk in and the people are so into it and the feeling is just electric, it's just so much fun being around that kind of energy, it's contagious

Saturday night when I took the pic in the OP I was at a show my buddy was doing. He plays in a R&R cover band, I ended up leaving half way through his set and ended up a metal show just to get my fix......I don't do drugs or drink, haven't in close to 5 years, but I'm addicted to metal.....plan and simple

Sadly as much as I love our band Murder Pony (PsychoBilly / Rockabilly) and I love the music, Id trade it in a heartbeat to be in a awesome metal band

Reaction score
Awesome Guys!!. I have always lived in smaller towns and cities in Australia and so access to the world of Metal was always limited to whatever leaked through popularly. I never forget finding a Kill Em All tape in pristine condition at the local trash shop. Anyway for a long time I loved whatever was popular enough to get my hands on until I could really get decent access to stuff. Mainly, SOAD, Tool, RATM, Metallica, Grunge greats, Nu Metal. Slipknot.

From there I really started exploring into heavier world and found Lamb of God, Gojira and Devildriver. Well that was the start then. Once you can get into heavy music finding the musicality in the chaos is a truly unbelievable thing. Anyway, I quit uni and moved to a much larger city with a mate and the world opened up...I immersed myself in the world and finally found the best people in the world, very few fights or drama, less ego and chest pumping, people brought together in the love of something far from the norm. If I wasn't playing we were practicing. At one stage I was in 3 different styles of metal bands and was totally addicted. If I wasn't working we were out seeing mates. After 3 glorious years the world came knocking and i had to return to uni and then start my career. I now live in an extremely remote town and badly miss the world of local metal.

I am a metal freak and proud. We could talk music for days but the reality is that everyone treads their own path with taste in music and that is another cool thing about metal. There is so much I don't like that other close friends love but that doesn't change anything. I have a mate that is in a world renowned band that when he is in town can be seen at every pop show that comes lol. He tours the world playing grindcore lol. Anywho... I am rambling but to finish my story I saw this the other day and this bloke is mad!! Also repping one of my favourite songs ever by the incredible Aussie masters Psycroptic!

Reaction score
Speaking of bass in a metal mix, I think Job for a Cowboy really nailed that with their latest album. Check out Sun of Nihility:

I love how defined the bass is even with the heavy guitars in there!

Holy crap dude! Just had a chance to watch this. I saw JFACB back in the day but I forgot how awesome there stuff is. Love that Warwick tone on this song. Excellent representation of how they sound. Not sure if it was a thumb or a lolphin on the record though?

Reactions: RIP

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Holy crap dude! Just had a chance to watch this. I saw JFACB back in the day but I forgot how awesome there stuff is. Love that Warwick tone on this song. Excellent representation of how they sound. Not sure if it was a thumb or a lolphin on the record though?
Looking at Nick Schendzielos FB page trying to find out what king of Warwick he was using on this song I came across this video of the Nuclear Power Trio

Awesome stuff

Top Bottom