Talk with James Lomenzo \m/

Reaction score
I just managed to score one of those Stykers and it is an awesome piece. Rivals anything in my collection. Just arrived today and the neck must have moved. Will do a little setup work on it tomorrow and all will be groovy. Thanks so much for the chance to own one of these. I am looking for one of your pedals and have been for a while. One will pop soon. Luck be with you on the Dio tour. Great cause. Great to see you here. Eyes straight ahead.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Bump (is this the worlds first bump in a sticky thread?)
Where in the world is Mister Lomenzo?

Reaction score
JLo and All - Amps in General?

Due to theft, I need a new amp. Was using a B410 Ampeg from the 80s. Gone...

So we have all these solid state amps and I can't tell any m on the spec sheets. I have to drive several hundred miles to try something. Bass tubes are limited in selection.

James mentioned he likes Ashdown for their "raunchy" sound. I'm not sure exactly what that is, and describing tone is tough. I would like to hear from folks that have shopped ampls lately or can help me decide what is important in a bass amp. I have an SWR WM400 with 410 cab and I'm not happy. It just doesn't sound "Big".

So part of this is tube or SS, and the other is what to look for, generically, in a new amp. Warwick makes amps, so I don't want to cross into brand loyalty unless we are using Warwick amps as an example.

I like an amp setup that you feel. Old school tone and energy. I would really appreciate the help and you can PM me if there is something specific.

Thanks in Advance,
Capn.

Reaction score
Real Name
Chris
Hey, you are pretty close to me (I am in Nashville) - I have a Warwick X-Treme 10.1 1000w amp and a couple cabs for sale. Check it out:

I will say that 10.1 amp is VERY versatile. There isn't a sound you can't get out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Any updates on the whereabouts of Mr. Lomenzo?
I just found out this thread.

Reaction score
Due to theft, I need a new amp. Was using a B410 Ampeg from the 80s. Gone...

So we have all these solid state amps and I can't tell any m on the spec sheets. I have to drive several hundred miles to try something. Bass tubes are limited in selection.

James mentioned he likes Ashdown for their "raunchy" sound. I'm not sure exactly what that is, and describing tone is tough. I would like to hear from folks that have shopped ampls lately or can help me decide what is important in a bass amp. I have an SWR WM400 with 410 cab and I'm not happy. It just doesn't sound "Big".

Maybe a little too late with this, but I use an Ashdown MAG 600, the cheaper model. It`s loud as hell, and you can boost the mids into an insane, snarly mid-attack. I had the pleasure of having one ABM-model at a gig once, and its the best distorted sound I`ve ever had.

But it`s true as JLO says about the Hyperdrive-pedal: it sound good through any amp. I`ve used it for about a year now, with Ashdowns, Ampegs, Hartke....never fails!

Still...I`d like a new amp, especially the new lightweight Warwick-model. ;)

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
Well, I suppose that it's Zombie Thread time. :)
I don't suppose Jame LoMenzo is around here much. Anyway : now that I have a buzzard and an Hyperdrive LoMenzo sig, I kinda feel like I have to pay some respect to the man :)
So, thank you M. LoMenzo for putting up that distorsion pedal. I like it, and the simple yet effective design allows me to have a real distorted sound without losing bottom or top end.
As for the Buzzard, knowing that Dave Ellefson himself told me it was "a bass for me", I can tell he was right.

So thank you for the music, Mr.LoMenzo, and if we ever meet, the beer's on me.

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Because of James Lomenzo I finally decided for Warwick. Played a Fortress and was stunned by the solid feeling, watched YouTube and saw James playing his Stryker with Megadeth. When a Stryker appeared at the bay I couldn´t resist. So the story began...

Reaction score
"It`s awaaaaake"....

This Zombie lives! Well, I had to return the HyDrive to its owner, but....I found several usefull modules in the Zoom MS-60B, which is the pedal I use for everything now. Especially the Tubescreamer-effect, can be added in full or just subtle, to add that vintage grit.

Cheese!

Cheers, I meant!

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
"It`s awaaaaake"....

This Zombie lives! Well, I had to return the HyDrive to its owner, but....I found several usefull modules in the Zoom MS-60B, which is the pedal I use for everything now. Especially the Tubescreamer-effect, can be added in full or just subtle, to add that vintage grit.

Cheese!

Cheers, I meant!
I support all kinds of thread necromancy. Just checked out the MultiStomp, what an amazing thingy by Zoom. I was aware of the B3n but not of this one (I presume it is the same engine). Single foot switch shouldn't be too limiting either, taking size convenience into account. I have a B3 and only use one foot switch with my setup.

Reaction score
I support all kinds of thread necromancy. Just checked out the MultiStomp, what an amazing thingy by Zoom. I was aware of the B3n but not of this one (I presume it is the same engine). Single foot switch shouldn't be too limiting either, taking size convenience into account. I have a B3 and only use one foot switch with my setup.

Convenience pays a huge part in my setup, so for me this is it. Of course, fiddling around inside a patch during a show will be hard. I`ve been looking at the B3 because of the D.I, and on the B3n they`ve removed it.
...and on the talkbass-forum, there are several threads for these pedals with people sharing their setups. Many of them has the B3 for effects, and the MS-60B on the side for amp sims. The multistomp allows 4 effects in a row, though.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
I`ve been looking at the B3 because of the D.I, and on the B3n they`ve removed it.

:facepalm:

They come up with a new engine that allows more than three simultaneous effects, fixing the main problem with the B3, then they remove the D.I. output. What are they thinking???

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Howdy Bass brothers and sisters, been following the thread, just logged in again to say hi. I’ll look forward taking your questions and reading about your stuff!

Be great!

James

Hi James! As you can read above you are guilty for me playing Warwick, hehe! In any case you have a JLo (grin) Stryker or Buzzard for sale, tell me! Greetz from Germany!

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
How cool was that visit??? :)

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
James, do you own the famed white Bass Culture Buzzard?

Screenshot_2018-10-14-18-02-02~2.png

BassMonsterJLo

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
Hi James! As you can read above you are guilty for me playing Warwick, hehe! In any case you have a JLo (grin) Stryker or Buzzard for sale, tell me! Greetz from Germany!
That's great Hardy! I'll be keeping the Buzzard's and Stryker's that I have, ...they sing!

BassMonsterJLo

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
James, do you own the famed white Bass Culture Buzzard?

View attachment 19176
If I did Hoggles, I'd be playing it all the time. The fellow who owns that one brought it by to my place years ago in San Diego so I could check it out! Just wonderful to get a chance to spend a little quality time with it! Playing wise, I think I still like my old Natural finish Zebrano a bit better but the mojo on John's white bass was unmistakeable!

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
If I did Hoggles, I'd be playing it all the time. The fellow who owns that one brought it by to my place years ago in San Diego so I could check it out! Just wonderful to get a chance to spend a little quality time with it! Playing wise, I think I still like my old Natural finish Zebrano a bit better but the mojo on John's white bass was unmistakeable!

Haha, no doubt. That's great you were able to play it a bit tbough. Next time I'm in SD I'll have to bring by one of Jack Bruce's fretless Thumbs for ya ;)

Also, it's good to know who we have to blame for Hardy's Buzzard obsession :p Have you seen his amazing custom shop Buzz?

Hopefully big H won't mind if I post this...

Last edited:
Top Bottom