Trace Elliot AH600 GP12 SMX
2x FMC Performer 1x 1x12'+8'
1x FMC 2x12'+8' Pro
20180930_151045-jpg.242336

Why 12"?

Stainless

Guard of the Fortress
Reaction score
They are more flexible than 10'' and have more mids than a 15'. Before the FMCs I used to play a Warwick 6x10' box. Not bad but heavy as f*ck.
I accidently came to the Eminence Kappas 12 Pro inside, cause I bought a modded box.
But I prefer the sound more than the original speakers and also installed them into the other two Performers.

Reaction score
Really happy with my setup at the moment. I think iv maybe nailed the tone in my head. My main bass is the stage 1 with delano dual coils, i use f bass exposed core strings, john east preamp, into tuner, cali76 tx, dg alpha omega, noble tube pre, quilter bass block then bareface big baby two cab. Looking forward to next jam night or gig with this rig.

I might do a small recording if anyone is interested, to me it sounds super sweet.

Have not run the pedal board into my hellborg yet. That shoud be interesting with tube front end into my hellborg setup.

20181110_141847_resized.jpg

Reaction score
Real Name
Nick
DiMarco, some info on the ELF head please.
Have you tried it with the 110 or the 208 Bassbox?
The ultra portable thing interests me... 110+ELF=8kg, 208+ELF=13kg.
Does it sound good?
I've also been checking out the Markbass Mini CMD 121P which is much more powerful.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
The Elf is just loud enough with a high output (over 100dB @ 1 watt) 2x12 or my 8x8 for the practice room.
In this situation, it is completely out of headroom but I can work with that.
Its limiter keeps it from killing speaker coils with DC components in the signal from amp clipping when used LOUD.
Still, I decided to add the LWA1000 because I don't trust the Elf to handle any larger rooms well - even with those big cabinets.

The Elf does however sound great (never sterile or cold) and its 3 band EQ is well thought out.
I always do use it in combination with the Transit-B since that has the little extras I need (compressor, 5 band EQ, overdrive, Trace preshape)

The small cabs both sound really good from what I have heard and are nice for acoustic sessions and living room gigs (which are so nice!)
If I were to buy a new cab for it for practicing and the small sessions I would probably get the 2x8 since that has the awesome FaitalPro speakers.

But... I haven't tested the cabs as for these situations I have my Phill Jones Bass Cub 2x5" combo already.
The PJB has two inputs and EQ sections so I can run vocals or an electric acoustic guitar through that as well. Maybe also a brand to consider?

bcu_01b.jpg

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Nice cab, too! (I have a Big Twin II gen.3 standing right next beside me here)

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
I see what you did there, it's like a 4x15" cab. :D Bet it sounds monstrous.

Reactions: JPT

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
my best bass stack so far.. the fretless Thumb NT7's sound so good with this setup(!)

That's quite a statement considering your Hellborg system. Surely it must have its advantages. :)

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Massive tone no doubt. The midrange of 15" sits very nice in mixes.

Reaction score
Nice to see an Ampeg rig again! I had exactly the same combination of cabs and a SVT CL amp.

Right now I'm mainly using the Mesa D-800 with the Ampeg cabs, buts seriously? Nothing beats that Ampeg tube sound, that tone and bite is just amazing. I didn't use any pedals for my sound when I was using the Ampegs, but when I start using the Mesa I had to buy a VT Bass D.I. pedal to give me something like the Ampeg bite! :p

Top Bottom