Let's See Those Fretless Basses

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
I am a recent convert to fretless. The only one I have at the moment is a '97 Thumb BO5 lined fretless. Walnut body, wenge neck, ebony board.

E4F7yNYl.jpg

I have another one currently in the process of being built by Wyn Guitars. It'll be a 6'er, 34.5" scale. As far as looks... The top for it is "A" (furthest right). Heart & sap ziricote.

MaJqzwVl.jpg

MaJqzwVl.jpg

Here's how much has been completed at the moment (4th in from the right). Full wenge neck, lined ebony board.

rv2YZcH.jpg

Thumb BO is incredible for fretless. You obviously have something special coming up as well. I would have picked the middle slab of wood cause I like symmetry.

Reaction score
Put a D-tuner on this last weekend only to find out they don't work on Warwick basses all that well:

bI70j0k.jpg

BSjWBOx.jpg

4UF22Es.jpg

p86EfJB.jpg

Still don't know what kind of fretboard that is though.

why dont work? its works fine for me and many others..
very nice bass btw!

Reaction score
why dont work? its works fine for me and many others..
very nice bass btw!

As Gnermo's link shows, the lever arm hits the treble side tuners before opening up all the way. I've got extenders on multiple Warwicks and they all suffer from this same issue. However, I've found that it swings out enough to still hit D, or at least close enough that it isn't noticeably out of tune.

Reaction score
If your detuner doesn't go to E# I think it's working fine. ;)

On a serious note, I assume #E is equivalent to D#? If you can't get a 1/2 step drop from your tuner it sounds like something more significant might be a problem. Either the tuner angle is more extreme or the key isn't working correctly.

Reaction score
what can i say.. on my rb streamer nt1 its work just fine as it shuld be. :)

Reaction score
what can i say.. on my rb streamer nt1 its work just fine as it shuld be. :)
Interesting. I wonder if the spacing/angle are different on RBs compared to Germans, none of mine open that far.

Hardy, feel free to send over any extra Buzzard necks you've got, I'll take 'em! And please tell me you're joking about not playing that Infinity. That would be criminal.

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score
`

OK. Two variables cross my mind:

1. How you've wound onto the peg.

2. Different string tensions at tune. Lower
tension strings use more peg rotation for a
given change of pitch.

Your welcome.

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Hardy, feel free to send over any extra Buzzard necks you've got, I'll take 'em! And please tell me you're joking about not playing that Infinity. That would be criminal.

Spare beak heads? Too bad I only have NT models!
4A97B214-5317-45CB-ABEE-84E8625AA8F8.jpeg

The Infy... the last time I played it is three years ago for the „Can you do it“ thread. I took off the strings last week. They were rusty exactly at the positions where I played them in this song... with overdrive... :eek:

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score
`

They don't make these no more :-(

But I got mine :)

Five knobs means piezo !

Sterling Piezo WM.jpg

#########################

And you can't get THIS stuff nomo needuh !

Most semi-hollow lack the top horn, and so
they got NECK DIVE ... but not this Godin.
It was replaced by a later version ... with NO
top horn. Seems like a new genius is born
every minute ..... not :-(

But I got mine :)

Godin%20A4%20Fretless%20Close E1.jpg

`

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do tell us what's going on here.

Its a Korean Corvette Pro series from 2012 which I got new old stock from the local music shop. I then took it to a local luthier here and get the fretboard replaced with a New Zealand Native timber called "Black Maire" Its very similar density to ebony. It took just over a week to do. I replaced the hardware to black from what I had around the house and am waiting on a black bridge and tail piece. I installed a Drop tuner as per my other basses and am using black silk wrap strings. This bass feels great has ovangkol neck and ash body.

I'm going to use the old fretted fretboard to swap back my thumb 5 fretless back to fretted so it will be back to original spec.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Its a Korean Corvette Pro series from 2012 which I got new old stock from the local music shop. I then took it to a local luthier here and get the fretboard replaced with a New Zealand Native timber called "Black Maire" Its very similar density to ebony. It took just over a week to do. I replaced the hardware to black from what I had around the house and am waiting on a black bridge and tail piece. I installed a Drop tuner as per my other basses and am using black silk wrap strings. This bass feels great has ovangkol neck and ash body.

I'm going to use the old fretted fretboard to swap back my thumb 5 fretless back to fretted so it will be back to original spec.

Awesome, it seems you have a very good luthier since he managed to salvage the board too. Looks like a very clean job, enjoy the bass.

Reaction score
Spare beak heads? Too bad I only have NT models!

The Infy... the last time I played it is three years ago for the „Can you do it“ thread. I took off the strings last week. They were rusty exactly at the positions where I played them in this song... with overdrive... :eek:

That is too bad, I guess you're gonna have to send the whole bass over then. ;)

I'd be happy to give the Infy some more work if you'd rather not part with a Buzzard tho.....

Top Bottom