RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
It's all subjective.....whatever works for you is all that matters

Reaction score
Real Name
Silvia
Of course gear matters. Acquiring gear is the bass-related version of the pursuit of happiness. You will chase a certain item, own it, love it for a short time, then find fault with it, fall out of love and resume your quest. You should make sure you *never* find The Perfect Bass/Amp/Cab/Effect/etc. or your life will lose its meaning. ;)
Mark my words. ;) :D

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
Adam Neely is probably my favorite YouTuber. This video is a good example of why.

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
You should make sure you *never* find The Perfect Bass/Amp/Cab/Effect/etc. or your life will lose its meaning. ;)
Mark my words. ;) :D

I exactly know what you mean. It is confusing and let’s you feel helpless when you stare at the Thomann web page and you have no idea what to order. That inner emptiness... wait, how about backup gear? :p

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
...and: I think that equipment indeed can be inspiring. Sometimes a new pedal opens a different music style to you, a vintage bass leads you to different ideas than a modern bass. It’s all in your head, right - but equipment takes influence on your opinions.

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
Yes, Gear Matters. As much as Sound matters.
You don't need a 15k€ Fodera to go Boom Boom. Or maybe you need it.
I have twice the number of basses that pros like Stu Hamm have. And yet 20 times less than John Entwistle. Collection ? Maybe.
I'm constantly looking at other basses, but have no need for them. The only one i *need* sort of is a thumb BO5 BN, because, I think a thumb would be a nice addition, but don't want to pay too much.
And then amps. :)

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Guys. Gear is toys.
One can never have enough new toys.

That said, when I was young and poor I enjoyed playing on my cheap stuff as much as I do now on my expensive stuff.

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
I think that equipment indeed can be inspiring. Sometimes a new pedal opens a different music style to you, a vintage bass leads you to different ideas than a modern bass. It’s all in your head, right - but equipment takes influence on your opinions.

Yes, I agree. I currently have eight basses. Some of them inspire me to write more than others. The one I've owned the longest (Ric 4003, since 1991 or so) I've probably written the least amount of material on. Then there's my Fender Precision, a bass I bought exclusively for covers. And yet every time I pick it up a new riff falls out of the sky and into my lap. Something about it just lets me tap right into my imagination. I rarely play a gig on it, but behind the scenes it's my secret weapon.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Being for many years in heavy touring, I need pro gear. Pro gear not always sound better (a rockbass corvette kills!) but are (usually) more reliable, you don't want a bent neck or broken amp while touring. My gear usually stays in the truck, and we have little or no time for setups and repairs. I usually set my warwicks... once :)

Stainless

Guard of the Fortress
Reaction score
For my point of view, gear matters til the midprice segment.
New basses over 2000€ are just the last 5%-10%.
I can live with my 90% solution.

Since I play FMC 12 Pro boxes with Eminence Kappas, I don't want any other boxes, at all.
For amps I have two Trace Elliot GP12 SMX (AH250 and 600) and as a backup or live amp the EBS 350 Reidmar. Since that purchase, no wishes anymore.

Sometimes I have GAS for basses, but til yet I didn't found any bass which is better for me than the WW Fortress model from good old germany :cool:
I am just reducing my collection on basses to 4 Fortress basses, one Hoyer, my Squier Matt Freeman and my Warwick Alien. So 7 in all.
Ok I am still thinking of selling my Squier but, nah not yet.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
For my point of view, gear matters til the midprice segment.
New basses over 2000€ are just the last 5%-10%.

It's called law of diminishing returns, no? Applies to many things, including hi-fi audio systems. Wise law.

Reaction score
Your identity might matter the most, and that is reflected through your fingers, looks, sound...It is a sum of different things, "gear" can be pedals, amps, pants and bling.

Stainless

Guard of the Fortress
Reaction score
That’s ok! One for each day.
But be warned! You have NO backup bass!!! :eek::D
An you have one for each day of the month ;)
I still have 11 basses yet, but I am reducing it.

The "Like" is for owning 4 Fortress basses......you da' man!!
I envy you
Best WW bass model ever!
I have two Fortress Ones fretted, one fretless and one Fortress Masterman, on which I plan a little upgrade of a singlecoil on the neck position (same PU configuration as the Vampyre).
I have to do some photos of my Fortress collection, when all mods are finished.

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Best WW bass model ever!
I have two Fortress Ones fretted, one fretless and one Fortress Masterman, on which I plan a little upgrade of a singlecoil on the neck position (same PU configuration as the Vampyre).
I have to do some photos of my Fortress collection, when all mods are finished.
I hear you Stainless, I have a '94 Fortress One. Im in the process of receiving a new neck for it, so its kind of in the "Mod Mode"

But I love them, I love the design the balance the looks....everything.

I can't wait to get it up and running....Im looking for it to be my# 1, I just might have to buy some active MEC's to put in it to get it there....we'll see after I get the neck

Stainless

Guard of the Fortress
Reaction score
But I love them, I love the design the balance the looks....everything.

I can't wait to get it up and running....Im looking for it to be my# 1, I just might have to buy some active MEC's to put in it to get it there....we'll see after I get the neck
Yes the design and the balance is genious, especially for a tall guy like me ( 6'8).

I just put in my first Fortress Schaller PJs (it is same like DiMarzio, they produced for them) and a Noll electronic B2014 (Gain, Treble, Mids/Bass stacked) with a toggle switch for live situations.
And it sounds awesome. I am really not a fan of MEC, especially the "Balanced Pickups".

Last edited:
Reactions: RIP
Top Bottom