The 10 Worst Acts In The Rock Hall . . . And The 10 Best

Reaction score
Rush are the REO Speedwagon of PROG-Rock

How's that for a pot shot
I didnt go for them when they became megafamous- but I did like parts of A Farewell to Kings and they had their moments in the later 80’s.

Probably the best and least pretentious of prog rock bands was UK with the original lineup of Bruford, Holdsworth, Jobson, and Wetton- their eponymous album UK really stands out from the crowd. But that lineup only lasted for one album.

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out what NWA is doing in the "Hall"

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out what NWA is doing in the "Hall"

- filling the black people quota?
- begrudgingly acknowledging hip-hop?

As Beef said there is certainly others that would appear more notable. c.1989-90 Public Enemy were the most important band in the world regardless of genres.

Reaction score
Toto. Asia. Kansas. Not Rush.

I'm putting Toto with the Yatch Rock records, like LRB, Christopher Cross, maybe a little Bruce Hornsby.

Asia and Kanas I may of heard 2 tracks of each on the radio and found no need to investigate further.

Reaction score
I didnt go for them when they became megafamous- but I did like parts of A Farewell to Kings and they had their moments in the later 80’s.

Probably the best and least pretentious of prog rock bands was UK with the original lineup of Bruford, Holdsworth, Jobson, and Wetton- their eponymous album UK really stands out from the crowd. But that lineup only lasted for one album.

I get the being pretentious goes with PROG-Rock thing
It doesn't bother me in fact it's normally a source of merriment

When the music sounds pretentious, or overthought or or played or overproduced then it's not worth my time listening too. As an example and hopefully the PROG fans can take this objectively :

The use of ODD TIME SIGNATURES in a compostition is not natural, normal or kind

Reaction score
I get the being pretentious goes with PROG-Rock thing
It doesn't bother me in fact it's normally a source of merriment

When the music sounds pretentious, or overthought or or played or overproduced then it's not worth my time listening too. As an example and hopefully the PROG fans can take this objectively :

A lot of it becomes more obvious over time like silly fads and haircuts but some music for me lasts the tests of time. There are certain albums and musicians from 70’s and 80’s that I still listen to, and some I didn’t even care for at the time, though in either case, not many people have heard of them-

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
I. Don't. Give. A Shit.

I love Bon Jovi, and Kiss, and Queen, and Nickelback. Great music. Great for the car, great for the girls, and I'll add Poison, too. And even BonFire (ok, maybe not all Bonfire stuff, but some). And also, Desmond Child. LOVE his stuff.

I don't really know who the critic is, but ranking the "worst" acts with those name here...
OK, let's take it slowly for this one-celled brain : It's the Rock'n'Roll Hall of FAME.
Like, FAME. Dumbass.

Not Composition, not musicianship, not composer's Chef d'Oeuvre... It's FAME.
And yes, sorry to break it out, but KISS is famous, Bon Jovi is famous, Queen are MORE than famous, Nickelback are famous for being hated. But famous. Desmond Child is not famous, but rich with "commercial" songs. Who cares.

Y'all can hate me for musical (non) taste.
But look at what kind of music is successful today. In your country.
Here's the Top 3 list for France :
I dare you to listen to this and find something of greatness.
Then, yes, you'll love BonJovi.

charts-egal1.png

=
mafilaros_mafiosa.jpg

Lartiste
Mafiosa (feat. Caroliina)

charts-up1.png

+5
vabkoren_va-bene.jpg

Kore
Va Bene

charts-down1.png

lammaiem_la-meme.jpg

Maître Gims
La même

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
Here's a complete list of inductees from over the years: List of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees - Wikipedia

I think it's an interesting list in a number of ways. First of all, this list includes some of my absolute all-time favorite artists, including Frank Zappa, Miles Davis, and Muddy Waters. But in doing so, they've really stretched the definition of "rock and roll" way beyond the breaking point.

Another thing I noticed was that several people have been inducted twice, once as a solo artist and once as a band member. Some of these are unsurprising (John Lennon, Paul McCartney) but I thought it was odd to see Clyde McPhatter inducted twice (once as a member of The Drifters). Was he really so important to the development of rock music that he needs to be in there twice?

And now for a question: who will be the first "extreme metal" band to make the list? I didn't even watch Zappa's induction, but I'd watch Cannibal Corpse's. :p

Reaction score
That explains why Pink Floyd’s Money was so effective- the provocative nature of the 7/8 time goes well with the impudent and provocative nature of the melody and verse.

Reaction score
A lot of it becomes more obvious over time like silly fads and haircuts but some music for me lasts the tests of time. There are certain albums and musicians from 70’s and 80’s that I still listen to, and some I didn’t even care for at the time, though in either case, not many people have heard of them-

Great post

A strong arguement can be made that the "Generational Age" of the listener is the most critical factor in what music we all consider important or lasting.

Reaction score
Spoken like someone who's never listened to anything outside of Western music.

There's nobody alive who listens to PROG who thinks it's anything but Western music though bro.

Whilst I'm reducing my arguement to simplistic equations

PROG is from Classical
Rock and Roll is from Blues

Fair call?

Reaction score
That explains why Pink Floyd’s Money was so effective- the provocative nature of the 7/8 time goes well with the impudent and provocative nature of the melody and verse.

See I'd call PF "Money" a riff or hook that happens to be in 7/8
Not an insertion of something because you/I/they can.

Clearly ymmv

Reaction score
See I'd call PF "Money" a riff or hook that happens to be in 7/8
Not an insertion of something because you/I/they can.

Clearly ymmv
Speaking of odd time signatures I used to task drummer friends with defining time signatures of songs that I suspected were out of the pale of 3/4 or 4/4 and in each case I was wrong- they were all 4/4 but with unique accents-

Enigmatic Ocean pt III by Jean Luc Ponty

Guy Lafkeur by Steve Khan

My New Career by Japan

What say you?

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
And now for a question: who will be the first "extreme metal" band to make the list? I didn't even watch Zappa's induction, but I'd watch Cannibal Corpse's. :p

Hum, probed the list a bit, looking for the most metuhl acts, since I am especially interested. I 'd say Black Sabbath and Metallica are the only metal acts up to now.

Reaction score
Agreed- So what is “yatch” music?

It's Yacht I don't know why certain words are changed when I type them

Ashdown becomes Ash Down
Fretless becomes Fret less etc...

Yacht Rock is like AOR summer BBQ wine cooler middle aged guys ill fitting shorts and shirts scenario

Reaction score
Speaking of odd time signatures I used to task drummer friends with defining time signatures of songs that I suspected were out of the pale of 3/4 or 4/4 and in each case I was wrong- they were all 4/4 but with unique accents-

Enigmatic Ocean pt III by Jean Luc Ponty

Guy Lafkeur by Steve Khan

My New Career by Japan

What say you?

I'd need to listen to those tracks to provide an answer.

Top Bottom