The 10 Worst Acts In The Rock Hall . . . And The 10 Best

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
From Vulture.com

Here's the link

http://wcsx.com/2018/05/03/10-worst-acts-rock-hall-10-best/

Note, none of the text below is mine......

Vulture.com ranked all 214 acts in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the list may make you very angry!

The list was done by a longtime music columnist named Bill Wyman, who's NOT related to former Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman...

He says the ranking is about "the appropriateness" of each artist's induction, not their baseline quality, or his personal feelings toward them. He asked himself if the acts were influential . . . the "first" . . . or "simply brilliant at what they did."

Here are the 10 Worst Acts in the Rock Hall . . . and why:

1. Bon Jovi . . . He says they outsourced their songwriting to Desmond Child so they could focus on "hairdos and marketing." He calls their induction "comical," and says they aren't in a rock band, they're "the guys in the MOVIE about the rock band."

2. Queen . . . Quote, "When popularity is factored in, Queen is the most overrated band in the history of pop music."

3. Journey . . . "The ultimate guilty-pleasure band."

4. Chicago . . . "A self-indulgent, lite-rock ensemble known first for bringing horn charts into the mix . . . and second, for a seemingly unending string of two- and even four-record sets in the '70s."

5. Rush . . . "They lack a single song you could play for someone to try to convince them of the band's importance."

6. KISS . . . "Another band with two-and-a-half decent songs and many decades of pointless recording and touring."

7. The Moody Blues . . . He says, "they were fine for what they were, [but were] another Boomer nostalgia band getting [in] to help push tickets."

8. N.W.A . . . He notes their controversial lyrics, and says, "they're more than a footnote in rock history, but there's not much to them beyond their first album."

9. Joan Jett & the Blackhearts . . . "She never recorded a better-than-not-unlistenable album, much less a great one . . . Her hits were covers, and live, the Blackhearts were . . . decent?"

10. Red Hot Chili Peppers . . . He takes a shot at them for abandoning their naughtiness, and sucking up to the rock establishment, and notes that their manager is a member of the Rock Hall nominating committee.

And now, here are the 10 Best Acts in the Rock Hall, which are self-explanatory . . .

1. Chuck Berry

2. The Beatles

3. Bob Dylan

4. Elvis Presley

5. James Brown

6. Prince

7. The Ramones

8. Nirvana

9. Buddy Holly

10. Muddy Waters

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Columnists / critics are usually failed musicians. They are the lowest of low and have no real purpose in this world. I despise most of them.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
I kind of agree about KISS lol

Reaction score
2. Queen . . . Quote, "When popularity is factored in, Queen is the most overrated band in the history of pop music."

:eek::D:D:D:D:D

Reactions: RIP

PaulS

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Queen overated? Yeah, sure dude lol
Will there ever be a day when people don't take potshots at Rush? Has he never heard "Limelight"?

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
Good thread RIP. I didn't read the article but I did read your synopsis. My responses to some of the bits you quoted:

I'm not even a particularly big Queen fan, but this is ridiculous. Amazing vocals (and not just from Freddie), seemingly endless creativity, and an aesthetic that anticipated the genre-hopping of the 90s by two full decades.

4. Chicago . . . "A self-indulgent, lite-rock ensemble known first for bringing horn charts into the mix . . . and second, for a seemingly unending string of two- and even four-record sets in the '70s."

Having grown up in the 80s, I hated Chicago until just recently, when a friend of mine turned me on to their early music. Perhaps "self-indulgent" is a fair assessment, but it's still unquestionably impressive, ambitious, creative music.

5. Rush . . . "They lack a single song you could play for someone to try to convince them of the band's importance."

Again, I'm not even a particularly big fan, but really? And what the hell does "importance" mean in connection with rock music anyway? I hate that word. I mean, a cure for cancer is important. A peace agreement is important. But a rock record, even a great one, is not.

6. KISS . . . "Another band with two-and-a-half decent songs and many decades of pointless recording and touring."

While I would agree with anyone who says they peaked in the 70s, they certainly had more than two-and-a-half decent songs. Double Platinum is four sides worth of great, classic songwriting, and also happens to contain a lot of great bass lines.

7. The Moody Blues . . . He says, "they were fine for what they were, [but were] another Boomer nostalgia band getting [in] to help push tickets."

I tend to agree with this one. Boring.

8. N.W.A . . . He notes their controversial lyrics, and says, "they're more than a footnote in rock history, but there's not much to them beyond their first album."

I agree with this one too. This was basically an apology to hip-hop for not including a hip-hop artist sooner. It raises the question of whether hip-hop is really rock per se, but so what? I can still think of a lot of hip-hop artists more deserving of this honor than NWA. Public Enemy comes quickly to mind.

9. Joan Jett & the Blackhearts . . . "She never recorded a better-than-not-unlistenable album, much less a great one . . . Her hits were covers, and live, the Blackhearts were . . . decent?"

Yeah, I agree: they were OK, but hardly the stuff of legend.

10. Red Hot Chili Peppers . . . He takes a shot at them for abandoning their naughtiness, and sucking up to the rock establishment, and notes that their manager is a member of the Rock Hall nominating committee.

I don't much care that they "abandoned their naughtiness" but I've felt for a long time that they've abandoned their edge. I've seen RHCP at least three times. The most recent time they were playing an endless run of radio ballads. At one point Anthony asked us if we were ready for an uptempo song. I was thinking that there was once no need to ask that. RCHP used to be a high-energy band, and while I have to praise them for maturing, they may have done a little too much maturing. And let's face it: their songs were always stupid, and maturity hasn't done much to change that. It was a lot less embarrassing back when they weren't trying to be smart.

And now, here are the 10 Best Acts in the Rock Hall, which are self-explanatory . . .

7. The Ramones

8. Nirvana

I may get flamed for this, but The Ramones and Nirvana are two of the most stupidly overrated bands in history. I mean, I like them both well enough, but really? They were fun little pop rock bands, but that's about it. If you wanted to get a punk band on this list, I'd go for The Clash or The Sex Pistols way before The Ramones, and if you wanted a CBGB band specifically, I'd say Television (who don't actually stand a chance in hell of getting in, despite their obvious greatness to anyone with a pair of ears). You want a grunge band in there? Soundgarden were the best band of that era by far, and they don't really deserve to get in either, IMHO. You want to put a band in there for us Gen Xers? Fugazi. I'm not holding my breath. :p

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Good thread RIP. I didn't read the article but I did read your synopsis. My responses to some of the bits you quoted:

I'm not even a particularly big Queen fan, but this is ridiculous. Amazing vocals (and not just from Freddie), seemingly endless creativity, and an aesthetic that anticipated the genre-hopping of the 90s by two full decades.

Having grown up in the 80s, I hated Chicago until just recently, when a friend of mine turned me on to their early music. Perhaps "self-indulgent" is a fair assessment, but it's still unquestionably impressive, ambitious, creative music.

Again, I'm not even a particularly big fan, but really? And what the hell does "importance" mean in connection with rock music anyway? I hate that word. I mean, a cure for cancer is important. A peace agreement is important. But a rock record, even a great one, is not.

While I would agree with anyone who says they peaked in the 70s, they certainly had more than two-and-a-half decent songs. Double Platinum is four sides worth of great, classic songwriting, and also happens to contain a lot of great bass lines.

I agree with this one too. This was basically an apology to hip-hop for not including a hip-hop artist sooner. It raises the question of whether hip-hop is really rock per se, but so what? I can still think of a lot of hip-hop artists more deserving of this honor than NWA. Public Enemy comes quickly to mind.

I don't much care that they "abandoned their naughtiness" but I've felt for a long time that they've abandoned their edge. I've seen RHCP at least three times. The most recent time they were playing an endless run of radio ballads. At one point Anthony asked us if we were ready for an uptempo song. I was thinking that there was once no need to ask that. RCHP used to be a high-energy band, and while I have to praise them for maturing, they may have done a little too much maturing. And let's face it: their songs were always stupid, and maturity hasn't done much to change that. It was a lot less embarrassing back when they weren't trying to be smart.

I may get flamed for this, but The Ramones and Nirvana are two of the most stupidly overrated bands in history. I mean, I like them both well enough, but really? They were fun little pop rock bands, but that's about it. If you wanted to get a punk band on this list, I'd go for The Clash or The Sex Pistols way before The Ramones, and if you wanted a CBGB band specifically, I'd say Television (who don't actually stand a chance in hell of getting in, despite their obvious greatness to anyone with a pair of ears). You want a grunge band in there? Soundgarden were the best band of that era by far, and they don't really deserve to get in either, IMHO. You want to put a band in there for us Gen Xers? Fugazi. I'm not holding my breath. :p
None of that text was mine Beef.......all the quotes were from the article

I just cut and pasted it

Reaction score
Columnists / critics are usually failed musicians. They are the lowest of low and have no real purpose in this world. I despise most of them.
Actually I would lump journalists in general with them...

Reaction score
Will there ever be a day when people don't take potshots at Rush? Has he never heard "Limelight"?
I sympathize but for me Xanadu from A Farewell to Kings is their most iconic song due to its atmosphere and originality. While early Rush music has been compared to Zeppelin, Xanadu doesn’t sound like anything I’ve ever heard, apart from the nod to Samuel Taylor Coleridge’s poem Kubla Khan.

Reaction score
I think the whole thing is bunk anyway- rock ‘n roll was the iconoclastic, thwart the status quo thing- it should be self-evident and not voted upon - it’s just another excuse to capitalize on the soul for money (and believe someone’s making money) like all the bullshit holidays that have been foisted upon us ...

Next post I’ll tell you how I really feel- :D:p:)

Reaction score
From Vulture.com

Here's the link

http://wcsx.com/2018/05/03/10-worst-acts-rock-hall-10-best/

Note, none of the text below is mine......

Vulture.com ranked all 214 acts in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the list may make you very angry!

The list was done by a longtime music columnist named Bill Wyman, who's NOT related to former Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman...

He says the ranking is about "the appropriateness" of each artist's induction, not their baseline quality, or his personal feelings toward them. He asked himself if the acts were influential . . . the "first" . . . or "simply brilliant at what they did."

Here are the 10 Worst Acts in the Rock Hall . . . and why:

1. Bon Jovi . . . He says they outsourced their songwriting to Desmond Child so they could focus on "hairdos and marketing." He calls their induction "comical," and says they aren't in a rock band, they're "the guys in the MOVIE about the rock band."

3. Journey . . . "The ultimate guilty-pleasure band."

1. Chuck Berry

2. The Beatles

3. Bob Dylan

4. Elvis Presley

5. James Brown

6. Prince

7. The Ramones

8. Nirvana

9. Buddy Holly

10. Muddy Waters
Pardon my hypocrisy (I just claimed that it’s all bunk) but how did Prince upstage Jimi Hendrix?- because everyone knows that a Purple Haze always precedes a purple rain....

Reaction score

Yeah I see it, but what is rock and roll?- think about “You Ain’t Nothing But a Hound Dog” “Peggy Sue”, or “I Wanna Hold Your Hand”? Not exactly something you’d read in a Saul Bellow novel.

By the intellectual paradigm I might’ve expected Pink Floyd to be high on the list-

Reaction score
Bon Jovi, Queen, Journey, Rush , Kiss would all make my list of top 10 worst bands of all time , period.

Ramones and Nirvana, yep both way oversold.

Prince - I'd have him in my top 10 musicians of anything fucking ever. Like Miles, Mozart, Ellington.

Reaction score

I totally enjoy print reviews/critic
IMO it's a valuable public service

Reaction score

Rush are the REO Speedwagon of PROG-Rock

How's that for a pot shot

Top Bottom