My Band Uneven Steven Finally Releases "believe In The Uneven"

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
Those of you who came here from Low End Friends know what a battle it's been to get this made. Long story short, we were recording an album back in 2015, but the whole thing went to hell when we fired the guitarist. We then spent most of 2016/2017 writing and recording this.

Lineup is Drew Costa on keys, Steve Gifford on drums, and yours truly (Steve Gregory) on bass. Most of the songs were written primarily by me, but with some input from the band. "The Hamster" was written primarily by Drew.

Links to Bandcamp and YouTube are below. Album is also available for streaming on Spotify, and can be purchased via CDBaby, Amazon, iTunes, etc.

Believe In The Uneven, by Uneven Steven

Believe In The Uneven - YouTube

Last edited:

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Those of you who came here from Low End Friends know what a battle it's been to get this made. Long story short, we were recording an album back in 2015, but the whole thing went to hell when we fired the guitarist. We then spent most of 2016/2017 writing and recording this.

Lineup is Drew Costa on keys, Steve Gifford on drums, and yours truly (Steve Gregory) on bass. Most of the songs were written primarily by me, but with some input from the band. "The Hamster" was written primarily by Drew.

A link to a YouTube playlist is below. Album is also available for streaming on Spotify, and can be purchased via CDBaby, Amazon, iTunes, etc.

Believe In The Uneven - YouTube
Nice Beef!.....so I listened to about 5 of the songs. Would that be considered Jazz Fusion....not that it matters, but I don't listen to jazz that much so that's why I'm a little curious

Also, if I remember right you guys don't play out, any chance you'll do that now?......I think you should

Reactions: adi
Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
Nice Beef!.....so I listened to about 5 of the songs. Would that be considered Jazz Fusion....not that it matters, but I don't listen to jazz that much so that's why I'm a little curious

Also, if I remember right you guys don't play out, any chance you'll do that now?......I think you should

Thanks RIP.

I think you could call it a type of jazz fusion. I consider it to be a four-way cross between rock, funk, blues, and jazz. But I think most things called "jazz fusion" consist of jazz musicians incorporating elements of rock, funk, etc. We're more like rock musicians incorporating jazz etc. We haven't really settled on a marketing term, but we've bandied around silly phrases like "post fusion" and "progressive groove", neither of which actually mean anything. I'm not sure if I like that about them or not.

Yes, we have a gig on the books for late July. Our keyboard player just quit a bunch of other bands to make more time for this one, so that should free up scheduling to make more gigging possible. It's nice to have an up-to-date recording of the band to give to venues too.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
I am distraught because the videos are blocked in my country. What's up with that?

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
I am distraught because the videos are blocked in my country. What's up with that?

Weird. If you have Spotify, it's on there too. I'm also planning on putting it on Bandcamp; I'll post a link once I do.

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Thanks RIP.

I think you could call it a type of jazz fusion. I consider it to be a four-way cross between rock, funk, blues, and jazz. But I think most things called "jazz fusion" consist of jazz musicians incorporating elements of rock, funk, etc. We're more like rock musicians incorporating jazz etc. We haven't really settled on a marketing term, but we've bandied around silly phrases like "post fusion" and "progressive groove", neither of which actually mean anything. I'm not sure if I like that about them or not.

Yes, we have a gig on the books for late July. Our keyboard player just quit a bunch of other bands to make more time for this one, so that should free up scheduling to make more gigging possible. It's nice to have an up-to-date recording of the band to give to venues too.
Right on, I'm glad you guys are going to get out there and strut your stuff in front of an audience. When you have a good product, I think you need to share it with as many people as you can

Personally I think there are way to many sub genres titles out there, I for one cant keep track of them all. When I was younger I don't remember there being so many but music has grown so much that I guess it was necessary to try and describe a band and the type of music they play. When I was going out looking for gigs that was one of the first questions that a venue asked.....what type of music do you play

I like "progressive groove", I think that describes you guys really good

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
And here. This music must be very secretive.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Lovely. Return to Forever and Gentle Giant sprang to mind listening to this, also maybe a hint of Bad Plus but more electronic. Very nice!

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
I listened to it twice last night, I admit I had it in the background so to speak doing other things. Very enjoyable, you guys have some seriously good chops, play tasteful music with no excesses or any kind of wankery. Also great use of bass effectology after first having secured good playing. In both occasions the epic The Hamster especially caught my attention. I will most probably fire it up again tonight paying more attention. I wonder, do you have any especially favorite tracks off of this Steve?

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
I listened to it twice last night, I admit I had it in the background so to speak doing other things. Very enjoyable, you guys have some seriously good chops, play tasteful music with no excesses or any kind of wankery. Also great use of bass effectology after first having secured good playing. In both occasions the epic The Hamster especially caught my attention. I will most probably fire it up again tonight paying more attention. I wonder, do you have any especially favorite tracks off of this Steve?

Thank you Jester. I think my favorite track is "What The Hey". When I first wrote it, it was just a bass line, and I wasn't even sure it deserved to be a tune. But the other guys really liked it. I wasn't sure why. Then I wrote the melody over the A section, but Drew never learned it until we were doing the recording sessions. What really makes it come together for me, though, is the melody on the B section, which was written by Drew during the sessions. The contrast of the long tones on the B section versus the fast notes on the A section really gives this song a sense of drama, which I consider to be an essential Uneven Steven element. So it really surprised me when the one song I thought was a throwaway turned out to be my favorite.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Thank you Jester. I think my favorite track is "What The Hey". When I first wrote it, it was just a bass line, and I wasn't even sure it deserved to be a tune. But the other guys really liked it. I wasn't sure why. Then I wrote the melody over the A section, but Drew never learned it until we were doing the recording sessions. What really makes it come together for me, though, is the melody on the B section, which was written by Drew during the sessions. The contrast of the long tones on the B section versus the fast notes on the A section really gives this song a sense of drama, which I consider to be an essential Uneven Steven element. So it really surprised me when the one song I thought was a throwaway turned out to be my favorite.

A fairly accomplished drummer/fb friend posted recently: "studio is the place to get creative" :)

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
A fairly accomplished drummer/fb friend posted recently: "studio is the place to get creative" :)

Yes, if you can afford it, which we probably couldn't if we had to pay for it. :)

What we did for this record was we hired a recording engineer to bring his laptop and a bunch of mics to our keyboard player's house, because he had a room that we liked the sound of. We had him record the whole band while we played every song three times, with the drums mic'd, the bass and keyboards DI'd, and everybody wearing headphones. But we really just needed someone to record the drums for us; bass and keys are easy. So we paid him for his time, picked the takes strictly based on the drum performances, and spent the next several months re-recording most of the keyboards and bass at our leisure for free, using Reaper on the keyboardist's laptop. This allowed us all the time in the world to be creative, without having to worry about money whatsoever. It was a very nice luxury.

At the end of the process we brought the files to the same audio engineer, this time at his professional studio, and had him mix it under our supervision.

PaulS

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Got a chance to listen to a few tunes. Enjoyable stuff man! You are obviously the star of the band. Very nice playing, and the different effects really work nicely. Congrats.

Top Bottom