Opinions On Warwick Wca Lw Cabs

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
OK. I want new cabs that are relatively small, lightweight, decent sounding, with 8" drivers. The only option I found is the Warwick WCA LT cabs (not the Eminence one, though). They fit in my small car, in my small budget.
I would like to hear some opinions about it. Should you have any, as I never saw anyone with those cabs, and only played the Eminence loaded ones in Markneukirchen.

I can get a 4x8 + 1x12 for less than 700€, which is good for me. Can't really afford more expensive - unless I sell my Henry the 8x8, which I will not sell. Because, you know, it's MY cab. Plus should I need to play a larger venue, I can put the 4x8 on top and play a 12x8, which should be pretty good.

Anyway : may head is an SWR 550xwhich gives 550W at 4Ohms (so I'm ok with the two Warwick Cabs that are 8 Ohms and 300 / 400W)
I play Heavy Metal Funk, Hard Disco and Thrash Pop on 5 strings.
My curent rig is the 550X with the SWR Workingman4x10 (loud enough, great sound, but too heavy); or with the 8x8 (Very loud enough, Fantastic définition, but even heavier and larger). Sometimes I play both, and I usually destroy little mammals in a 5m radius.

The WCA seems pretty good, not too expensive, easy to load/unload.
Thoughts, peeps ?

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
OK. I want new cabs that are relatively small, lightweight, decent sounding, with 8" drivers. The only option I found is the Warwick WCA LT cabs (not the Eminence one, though). They fit in my small car, in my small budget.
I would like to hear some opinions about it. Should you have any, as I never saw anyone with those cabs, and only played the Eminence loaded ones in Markneukirchen.

I can get a 4x8 + 1x12 for less than 700€, which is good for me. Can't really afford more expensive - unless I sell my Henry the 8x8, which I will not sell. Because, you know, it's MY cab. Plus should I need to play a larger venue, I can put the 4x8 on top and play a 12x8, which should be pretty good.

Anyway : may head is an SWR 550xwhich gives 550W at 4Ohms (so I'm ok with the two Warwick Cabs that are 8 Ohms and 300 / 400W)
I play Heavy Metal Funk, Hard Disco and Thrash Pop on 5 strings.
My curent rig is the 550X with the SWR Workingman4x10 (loud enough, great sound, but too heavy); or with the 8x8 (Very loud enough, Fantastic définition, but even heavier and larger). Sometimes I play both, and I usually destroy little mammals in a 5m radius.

The WCA seems pretty good, not too expensive, easy to load/unload.
Thoughts, peeps ?
Sorry Henry, I have no experience with those cab's......what else is on your list of possibilities?......Markbass, Phil Jones?

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
Markbass has no 8". I don't really want 10s. ANd Phil Jones, yes, I read some stuff and asked for advice, it seems they're pretty great cabs... good punch and definition, but apparently not loud enough fir my purpose.

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Markbass has no 8". I don't really want 10s. ANd Phil Jones, yes, I read some stuff and asked for advice, it seems they're pretty great cabs... good punch and definition, but apparently not loud enough fir my purpose.
I think your right, the Markbass has 8" combos.....I think Trace Elliot has 8" cabs if you want to look into those as another option

Other than that hopefully someone will come along with some experience with the W cabs.....happy hunting :)

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
OK. So, after a long hunt, I finally jumped the gun and bought... A Markbass Ninja 212.
My favourite Amp repairman convinced my out of the 8", because, you know, it's 2018 and you can have a tight sound with a good modern cab. Went for the Markbass because the signature models are waaaaaaaaayyy better than the Markbass stuff. Stu Hamm's 215 is based on the same kind of thechnology, very transparent, very focused. So I jumped on it. 600€ at Musicstore, instead of 719 at Thomann.
ETA Thursday, I'll tell you what.
Still, I'm eyeing the 408 Warwick used as bassdirect. That pight be a good companion to the Markbass 212.

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I just did some reading on the Ninjas the other day and I wanted some....good choice Henry!

Reaction score
A bit too late, but for what it's worth...
I'm playing the WCA 112 + 408 ( both with celestion speakers) since the day they became available( so...for 5 years now?) The cabs sound good for what they are and I'm happy with em and so is my back!

My previous setup was a warwick 4x10 and a 2x10 (yes...indeed....heavy as f*ck!) and it was a pain getting those things in my car....but sound was an absolute killer...

To be completely honest...I sometimes still crave a good old 4x10....nothing beats heavy duty cabs. Way more pressure too build up.

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
Thanks. Did you play with the 408 alone ? Was it loud enough ?
It seems there is a sacrifice in sound when you go light...

I A/B 'd my new Markbass 122 Ninja with my 410 SWR, they sounded very similar, curiously. But I admit that nothing ever comes close to matching my 8x8. 50kgs to haul but what a sound !
I'll be happy if the 122 is loud enough for the bars I play in : at 1 o'clock in the morning, packing the 8x8 in the car is really painfull. The 122 is 17kg...

If it ain't good enough, I'll buy a Warwick 408 to match the 122; it should be OK. :)

Reaction score
Actually, no! Ill try this thursday...
Sacrifice in sound..yes... definitely , but I think it's worth it...due to comfort and weight.

Oh and eventually....people in the crowd couldn't care less what gear you use, as long as they can hear you.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Lightweight cabs that don't compromise @ fullness and sense of pressure cost a fortune. I did take that plunge choosing between VanderKley, Bergantino and Barefaced 2x12 cabs. The latter I took in the end and I haven't regretted it at any point. I spent 1800 euro on just one cab and a sleeve for transportation.

The sound is amazing with lots of beef/body/substance and it easily fills up a medium sized pub with glorious bassness, no matter which of my amps I bring.

One of my best purchases ever.

Reaction score
1800 euro's for a cab o_O DAMN
That's incl getting the cab on your doorstep? :)

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Here's a good demo of what's what. I will stop plugging my cab now because this is getting ridiculous :D

I'd like to add my thoughts on the process used for this video.
With all due respect, the demo is a good one and it is a great idea in general.
BUT.... look at the response curve of the mic used to compare the cabs:

frequencyresponse.gif

Notice how the frequency response rolls off from about just under 180 hertz?
Exactly. Wrong mic for the job. FOH guys like to use the SM57 on bass cabs because they want no boomy boomy coming through overly loud. Great for the mix but bad for measuring low end as is supposed to be done in the vid.

I always bring my own mic for any bass cab miking. It is an AudioTechnica ATM250 (
)
Here's its frequency response graph:

Big bottom end captured, and some nice presence around 3.5k to punch through the mix more easily. I love this mic. I play mainly five string basses and need the boomy boomy to come through. ;)

Last edited:

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Nope, that mic has two membranes and is specialized for use in kickdrums while recording. The ordinary atm250 is cheaper and only has one membrane with hypercardioid response pattern. Thomann do stock them.

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
First gig yesterday with the SWR 550x head and the Markbass 212.
OK, I'll admit modernity is cool. I could be TOO LOUD. 350W into 2x12, and I was TOO FECKIN' LOUD !
Can you believe it ?
Sound was also a lot harsher than what I 'm used to. I had to Re-Eq, but damn... That thing is GREAT. No need for any other cab for the bars, and should I need to be impressive on stage, I still have my 8x8. Paired with the 212, it's insanely loud (2.7Ohms, of course, and it's just my practice room so 9M²... )
Oh, and i put LEDs in the cab. Pimp My Ride Style.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Here's a good demo of what's what. I will stop plugging my cab now because this is getting ridiculous :D

I'd like to add my thoughts on the process used for this video.
With all due respect, the demo is a good one and it is a great idea in general.
BUT.... look at the response curve of the mic used to compare the cabs:

frequencyresponse.gif

Notice how the frequency response rolls off from about just under 180 hertz?
Exactly. Wrong mic for the job. FOH guys like to use the SM57 on bass cabs because they want no boomy boomy coming through overly loud. Great for the mix but bad for measuring low end as is supposed to be done in the vid.

I always bring my own mic for any bass cab miking. It is an AudioTechnica ATM250 (
)
Here's its frequency response graph:

Big bottom end captured, and some nice presence around 3.5k to punch through the mix more easily. I love this mic. I play mainly five string basses and need the boomy boomy to come through. ;)

The Genz Benz apparently has the most flat response, the spectrum image is practically the frequency response of the mic. Very interdasting video indeed.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
In this case, yes. When you put that cabinet with its back close to a wall however you will see a 3db raise in its low end response.
Put it in a corner, near two walls and you will see another 3db raise in the low end.

This is a good tip for those of us with an under powered amp or smaller cab. If you lack low end on the gig, place the bass cab in the far corner of the stage, on the floor (you should NEVER raise ANY bass cab tbh) with its back near the two walls behind it. Your bottom end will be big and strong.

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
Exactly what happened to me on friday's gig. I put the cab in the corner, and damn, was I loud. Plus it's rear ported, so I *think* it might be even more effective than a front ported enclosure. (but what do I know).

Top Bottom