So After The Top 5--

Reaction score
What other basses do you think would be nice to have--

For me it would be a one of those ketchup colored Fender precisions (maple of rosewood)- Fiesta red is what they call it I believe- just like the 1950's model seen here but only an American made model- maybe someday-

And why....? BECAUSE IT'S RED!!

Fender 50's Precision.jpg

Reaction score
Preferably with a tour of both factories during the process :):):)

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
When I get around to buying another bass, it will probably be a MM Bongo

th.jpeg

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Reminds me of one of these, though it's not graphite and is in EADG tuning (with drop D tuner though)
View attachment 18503

IIRC Sean Malone of Cynic has been playing one for years, swears by this bass (when he's not playing fretless). I'm guessing it's a killer sounding instrument.

Reaction score
IIRC Sean Malone of Cynic has been playing one for years, swears by this bass (when he's not playing fretless). I'm guessing it's a killer sounding instrument.
Yes they are- and I did court the idea of buying one 4 or 5 Years ago when it had gone from Fender back to Phil building the basses. I contacted him and all he had at the time was a canary yellow one in stock and I wanted a black one. Really nice guy. Sadly he became ill and died not long after.

Speaking of cool well-known guitar builders, I got in touch with Ned Steinberger and asked if they would ever resurrect the XL line and he said just wasn’t feasible- nice guy as well-

Reaction score
So this where I found out about the Kubicki bass- (played through an Eden amp)

Reactions: RIP

PaulS

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Stu Hamm played Kubickis on his first few solo albums if you want to hear the amazing tone of them

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
This, defined me as a bass player.
And is the reason why Stuart is my God. I was playing for about a year - I started on a fretless because it lookes cool. I had no Idea that bass was to be played differently than dum-dum.
I like Satriani, saw this record with his name on it "Satriani's Bass layer", and I thought : Cool, a BAS SOLO album ! Wow.
This low D hammered the nail in my GAS coffin, redefined my way of playing. I spent countless hours trying to master tapping and slap. The whole album is great and the Kings Of Sleep tune is a masterpiece on its own.

The detuner of the kubicki is used in all the songs or almost. kewl feature.

PaulS

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Seriously cool music.

Indeed Jester the entire album is stellar.

This, defined me as a bass player.
And is the reason why Stuart is my God. I was playing for about a year - I started on a fretless because it lookes cool. I had no Idea that bass was to be played differently than dum-dum.
I like Satriani, saw this record with his name on it "Satriani's Bass layer", and I thought : Cool, a BAS SOLO album ! Wow.
This low D hammered the nail in my GAS coffin, redefined my way of playing. I spent countless hours trying to master tapping and slap. The whole album is great and the Kings Of Sleep tune is a masterpiece on its own.

The detuner of the kubicki is used in all the songs or almost. kewl feature.

I first heard Stu on Steve Vai's "blue powder" which came as a mini 45 in guitar player magazine. His playing inspired me also to go beyond what I had been doing. I don't t always love what he does now, but his first few solo albums are amazing to me.

Toepfer

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Real Name
Pepe
I like "Radio Free Albemuth" even more - "Country Music (A Night in Hell)" is epic.
I always thought that was more than one track until I've seen him play it live in the '90s (with Satriani).

Reaction score
My next purchase is going to be a G&L L2000 or M2000, I cannot make up my mind whether to go for MIA or one of the Tribute models which are made in Indonesia. The difference between the two is slight but the cost differs by quite a substantial amount.

Top Bottom