Fret Wear On My G&l Tribute L-2000

Jay2U

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
It looks a little worse than it actually is. As soon as it starts buzzing, it'll need some attention.
Fret wear.jpg

Reaction score
That looks quite nasty my friend!..........Are you by any chance using Stainless Steel Roundwounds on your G&L, because they eat frets more than any other type of string. Maybe next time you could try a set of Flatwounds which go easy on your frets.

Reactions: RIP

Jay2U

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
That looks quite nasty my friend!..........Are you by any chance using Stainless Steel Roundwounds on your G&L, because they eat frets more than any other type of string. Maybe next time you could try a set of Flatwounds which go easy on your frets.
I always use nickels. I don't dig the combination of the G&L and flatwounds. Flats are on my BEAD tuned Ibby. I think my technique is to blame. I tend to use hammer-ons whenever possible.

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I always use nickels. I don't dig the combination of the G&L and flatwounds. Flats are on my BEAD tuned Ibby. I think my technique is to blame. I tend to use hammer-ons whenever possible.
Keep us up to date Jay if or when you go about fixing this.

I'd like to see what you did

Jay2U

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Keep us up to date Jay if or when you go about fixing this.

I'd like to see what you did
As stated, I'll wait till buzz appears. Then I want to lower all frets to vintage level and crown them again. I think low frets will live longer, because the strings will hit the wooden fretboard. ;-)

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
As stated, I'll wait till buzz appears. Then I want to lower all frets to vintage level and crown them again. I think low frets will live longer, because the strings will hit the wooden fretboard. ;-)

...and damage it... :confused:

Jay2U

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
...and damage it... :confused:
I'd call it wear. The fretboard of my oldest bass, an Ibby, clearly shows wear. I don't care. The instruments are for playing, not for displaying. ;)

Top Bottom