NBD - streamer NT1

Reaction score
excuse me for being such a nagger and uploading lot of pics of my RB steamer NT1, but i'm so happy that warwick built such a nice and great sounding and playing bass for this money, and there is not so much info about it here or in the net.

B1B0977C-8C03-4FF3-A463-52EAC23F6B3C.jpg

69579F0C-D70D-4E8E-87C8-A9FF157119A8.jpg

C6FFA0C0-1AE1-481F-8A39-7D984AC30547.jpg

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Keep them coming! Glad to see you glad! This is how it should be. Enjoy!

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
Don´t worry, mate. it´s a gorgeous bass and we like bass pictures. 8:

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
It's nice to see a Streamer next to a piano.

Now I know what a piano is good for - to lean your bass on! Or maybe even two or three!!! One never learned it all. :idea:

Reaction score
Hi guys.
It's been a while. Glad to see some familiar names floating around.
So, I just picked up a 2016 RB SS1 Nt5. I got a really good deal at about $500 and it's so new, it still has the plastic on the preamp. I had it delivered to a GC near me and when I took it out, it had a serious, forward bow I'm the neck. It did travel for a few days but still.
If there's a "fix your neck" thread, please point me to it. Thanks.
I also picked up a 2017 RB $$ 5 string and it's great. Pots were super cheap, so I changed them, to CTS Pots of the same value. Much better clarity and gradual volume.

Reaction score
Whew! Just a few hours later (under pressure) and it's laying down nicely, without assistance. Few days to settle down and I should have it under control. Good tone in this bass, for those like me, that prefer the tones simple woods can produce, when built right. I can't help but feel it's a little choked by the gloss finish but I could be imagining it because I expected that. I'll see what the Dunlop super brights have to say about it tomorrow and I'll go from there. Overall, a bass that's built like a jazz but doesn't really sound like one. More aggressive in some ways and more mellow in others. I'm going to look back through these threads and see what's up with the pre and pickups. They work fine but I doubt they are real MEC, as in the German basses. My German pots didn't feel anything like these, which makes me wonder if these are MEC licenced or actual MEC electronics.

Attachments

• 20180110_194045.jpg
    20180110_194045.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 425
Reaction score
Real Name
Rehan
I'm going to look back through these threads and see what's up with the pre and pickups. They work fine but I doubt they are real MEC, as in the German basses. My German pots didn't feel anything like these, which makes me wonder if these are MEC licenced or actual MEC electronics.

Nice Streamer NT I 5 bass @Gerry! I purchased both a Streamer NT I 5 as well as a Streamer NT I 4 last year and I am really happy with both of them. In fact I have been using them more than my Streamer Stage II's as of late. On the Streamer NT I 5, the tone profile sounds to me like a cross between a Streamer Stage I and a jazz bass.

On your Streamer NT I, the pickups are the regular (real ;))MEC Gold active jazz style pickups. The preamps in the NT I basses that I purchased new say “Crystal Sound Co.” on them and look nothing like the MEC preamps and don’t sound like them either. All the parts look completely different than MEC (see attached pics). Although they did sound clean and clear, if not a little too bright/sizzly even with the treble set flat. I ended up having to cut treble (which I never do) to get a less trebly balanced sound. But I’m a big fan of Aguilar OBP-2 and OBP-3 preamps so I ended up swapping out the preamps and was much happier with the sound of both basses after the swap - much deeper bigger low end and nice crisp treble without too much sizzle in the neutral setting. I have installed Aguilar preamps in every keeper Warwick bass that I have owned since the early 2000’s.

Attachments

• C6E679AF-F9ED-4FC9-A48B-AB1424373C12.jpeg
    C6E679AF-F9ED-4FC9-A48B-AB1424373C12.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 617
  • AC493B61-5D4F-4217-BAC5-65E0069DFBFB.jpeg
    AC493B61-5D4F-4217-BAC5-65E0069DFBFB.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 707
Last edited:
Reaction score
Crystal sound? Lol. Thanks for the info! I could tell right away I'd be doing a pre upgrade, just from how the knobs felt. I do like the hot output though. It's actually much hotter than my Sire V7. I think you're right on with your tone assesment. It's definitely different than my jazz basses and I'm glad because my alder/maple basses sound almost identical. I'm glad to hear the pickups are real. That's one less call to best bass gear, I think. Anyone sanding down to satin finish?

Reaction score
Reaction score
Nice Streamer NT I 5 bass @Gerry! I purchased both a Streamer NT I 5 as well as a Streamer NT I 4 last year and I am really happy with both of them. In fact I have been using them more than my Streamer Stage II's as of late. On the Streamer NT I 5, the tone profile sounds to me like a cross between a Streamer Stage I and a jazz bass.

On your Streamer NT I, the pickups are the regular (real ;))MEC Gold active jazz style pickups. The preamps in the NT I basses that I purchased new say “Crystal Sound Co.” on them and look nothing like the MEC preamps and don’t sound like them either. All the parts look completely different than MEC (see attached pics). Although they did sound clean and clear, if not a little too bright/sizzly even with the treble set flat. I ended up having to cut treble (which I never do) to get a less trebly balanced sound. But I’m a big fan of Aguilar OBP-2 and OBP-3 preamps so I ended up swapping out the preamps and was much happier with the sound of both basses after the swap - much deeper bigger low end and nice crisp treble without too much sizzle in the neutral setting. I have installed Aguilar preamps in every keeper Warwick bass that I have owned since the early 2000’s.
I just heard some clips. Yeah, Aggie on order. I wish I could just run over to NYc real quick and get one. Did that with Smith and Sadowsky before. Thanks!

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
But I’m a big fan of Aguilar OBP-2 and OBP-3 preamps so I ended up swapping out the preamps and was much happier with the sound of both basses after the swap - much deeper bigger low end and nice crisp treble without too much sizzle in the neutral setting. I have installed Aguilar preamps in every keeper Warwick bass that I have owned since the early 2000’s.

Even on center detent, that nice fatness and discrete sweet treble, eh? It's their trademark sound, I love these preamps too. I also have a Tone Hammer which is my main tone shaping tool off board no matter what bass I play, great stuff.

Reaction score
Even on center detent, that nice fatness and discrete sweet treble, eh? It's their trademark sound, I love these preamps too. I also have a Tone Hammer which is my main tone shaping tool off board no matter what bass I play, great stuff.
Oddly enough, I tried a TH pedal a few years ago and didn't like it. I did briefly own a DB410 cab and it was the best cab I've ever heard. Of all the basses I've been thorough, I've never had an Aggie on board.

Reaction score
this is the preamp as warwick answerd to me -

SP RB 120

WARWICK SP RB 120 Active Electronics for active Pickups

http://www.warwick.de/warwick/data/Warwick.de/Technical PDF/Scematic/Rockbass/RB_SP_RB_120R OLD.pdf

i actually like that preamp personaly..
cant find reason to replace it.
it simple and works fine for me..
i do have aguilar obp3 in my other streamer (5) and quite like it but as many says - little move gets lots of volume. somtimes to much powerfull.
matter of taste of course :)
Wow. I didn't know the pickups in the Streamer were active. When they said active electronics, I thought they meant, no passive option and the pickups were passive. Thanks!

Reaction score
Real Name
Rehan
...Of all the basses I've been thorough, I've never had an Aggie on board.

You’re in for a treat! :) Please let us know your thoughts once you get the Aggie preamp installed. I recommend wiring it 18 volts for the added headroom with the B-string. ;) You will “feel” the difference. I attached a pic of the control cavity of my NT I 5 with the Aggie OBP-3 in it wired at 18v below.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 625

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
You’re in for a treat! :) Please let us know your thoughts once you get the Aggie preamp installed. I recommend wiring it 18 volts for the added headroom with the B-string. ;) You will “feel” the difference. I attached a pic of the control cavity of my NT I 5 with the Aggie OBP-3 in it wired at 18v below.

Consider the Tone Hammer that's running on a 24 volt power supply mehehehe. :)

Nice setup you have there. My OBP-3 is sitting alone, because of the pedal.

Reaction score
Real Name
Rehan
Consider the Tone Hammer that's running on a 24 volt power supply mehehehe. :)

Nice setup you have there. My OBP-3 is sitting alone, because of the pedal.

Thanks Yanni!

24v you say? Very cool! I’ll bet that kicks some serious ass! ;)

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Thanks Yanni!

24v you say? Very cool! I’ll bet that kicks some serious ass! ;)

It's good, very versatile because of the mid sweep. You can accentuate or "fix" anything. Apparently it's different than the on board version though, according to Gerry.

Reaction score
Oops. I didn't mean to give that impression, as I've never tried an on board OBP. Also, back then I had no ear! I was using a bass with the pre engage, going into the TH and then into a rack pre. So, you could say I didn't really hear it properly.

Reaction score
As for my upgrade, I'm starting to feel like active isn't for me. The bass is very bright anyway and even with my DR Pure blues strings, I find myself using the volume at just over half open and adjusting other volume at the amp. The sound is probably closer to what a higher resistance pot would do, wide open. I'm guessing (from clips) the Aggie will thicken things up a bit, but the active sound may just be too intense for me. Fortunately, the Aguilar can take passive or active, so I can use it as a template to try each type of pickup. Can't beat the active, tight low end though. So, I'll go OBP2 or OBP3 first and see where I am from there.
Thanks for all you guys patience while I get reacquainted with the brand!

Top Bottom