=The Warwick Thumb Club=

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Jackie wanted a little sun today. Sun cooperated.

20171209_120429_HDRJackie.jpg

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Opinions? Not mine! Story says that this is a custom order from 1990, handed over from HPW himself to the first owner, who now wants to part with it.

98ED61F7-08F0-48B2-84D3-69A1BF01ED96.jpeg

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
You guys are just rubbing it in since I sold mine yesterday.....jeez

I hate all of you!

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Opinions? Not mine! Story says that this is a custom order from 1990, handed over from HPW himself to the first owner, who now wants to part with it.

View attachment 18048

I wonder if this is the same one that passed through the heads up thread a few years back. I think most of us dismissed it as being a mod. I'd be surprised if it was indeed original.

That pic makes the neck pup look like it's tilted the opposite of the normal slant of the 5er config. It's not even level with the fretboard. A bit odd (maybe to make a bit of room for slap?). I'd love to see a more detailed pic of that neck pup, to see if it looks like a Wick routing job. I seem to recall I had doubts about the workmanship of that one I mentioned. Might have to dig through the forum.

Last edited:

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Neck pu looks fine. It is a trick of light and shadow. If HPW delivered it himself then it is mounted as ordered by the customer.

I however think that third pickup is nonsense on a Thumb bass.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Much agreed with Marco. What were they thinking?

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
BTW I was spot on in the chatbox stating it was a 1990. Yay me! The shape and dot markers kinda gave it away.

Reaction score
Real Name
Cliff Hairston
So, how many of y'all have transplanted newer MEC electronics into your older Thumbs? I'm thinking about getting one of the modern 3-band setups for the NT and putting it into my BO fretless. Any thoughts? Also considering an OBP-3 for both the Thumb and the RB Fortress 5. Oh, and I will definitely be making a new Fortress body for this RB and placing the pickups like a Thumb 5. It won't sound exactly the same but it will be similar and will be a ton of fun to play with.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
You could also look at John East pre's, those have a parametric mid control and selectable bass and treble frequencies which allows even more level of control of your fretless tone.

Reaction score
Real Name
Cliff Hairston
Ya know, I am so tempted (when money allows) to get a custom Thumb done with the old Schaeller 3D bridge. I just loved that bridge when I first used one to mod my first bass. Solid, great amount of mass, and pretty adjustable for spacing, intonation, and height. It's actually one of the mods I still need to do on my RB. That JD brings the feeling that bridge brought to my original Squier II P Bass back to me and what it did for sustain and overall sound.

Top Bottom