Show Us Your Amps Then!

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
This is all I currently have. All three Trace Elliots need to be fixed since all of them have some sort of problem(s) ...

all_of_them.jpg

Reaction score
Best loud (relatively) portable amp/cab combo I have ever found is a simple EBS Fafner II and one EBS 4x10 neo cab.

Anyone else tried this long-term? The amp head really is heavy (nearly 16 kg) but the marvellous punchy 4x10 neo cab weighs less, if I recall right. And they sound so good together. Huge power, such control. What you can dial in in terms of elegant EBS compression and/or valve-assisted dirt if you want either of those things is remarkable. All a matter of taste of course, but this is what I prefer. I recommend unreservedly. Have I posted this in the wrong forum? Sorry if so
EBS basic stack.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
amp head really is heavy (nearly 16 kg) but the marvellous punchy 4x10 neo cab weighs less, if I recall right

Sorry folks, I gave wrong info on the weight of the EBS Neo 4x10 cab: it doesnt weigh less than 16kg, and EBS website currently says 25kg. Apologies. But it sounds fantastic, really exceptional I think.

If you want to go super light/small, my limited experience is that a Genz Benz shuttle 1x8 combo plus EBS Neo 2x10 extension sounds stupendous for something that looks and weighs like a little practice amp. I haven't tested all the options on the market but I like this. Quite expensive but good

Reactions: RIP
Reaction score
20171010_080038.jpg
Just picked up a little Henry 8x8 cab to go under my mark bass classic valve head so far so good sounds great. Tomorrow first real jam.

Last edited:

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I spent half the day comparing all my amps (I have quite some) through my cabs...
The class D ones: nothing wrong with how they sound, but they simply can't compete with the warm buttery thick yet tight bass tone on natural tube saturation.
The old solid state heads: Do not sound better then the class D ones. Same tone, same heft, same neat "clean" sound (which I do not fancy)

Verdict: Screw solid state and class D amps. Tubes are Valves are better. The Tech21 VT500 comes pretty close but no cigar.

These are my two champions:

Valves_Vs_Tubes.jpg

I'm selling the Darkglass amp. It is very good but I am a valve junkie.

Reaction score
Verdict: Screw solid state and class D amps. Tubes are Valves are better. The Tech21 VT500 comes pretty close but no cigar.

I'm selling the Darkglass amp. It is very good but I am a valve junkie.

I'm with you !! I have retired my hellborg due to my Valve Mark bass sounding so good.

It did blow two valves over the weekend but hey that's part of the fun of valves , they don't last for ever and you need to keep them maintained. They sound the best but you need to earn that tone by the weight and expense to maintain them.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
The Mesa has four KT88's in there, the Trace runs on six 6550's and packs even more punch.
I do however believe this is purely caused by the different pre sections, both of which run on multiple 12AX7's.

Reaction score
The Mesa has four KT88's in there, the Trace runs on six 6550's and packs even more punch.
I do however believe this is purely caused by the different pre sections, both of which run on multiple 12AX7's.

Yeah at the end of the day the rest of the circuit plays a big part also, I have 6 KT66 power tubes and two AX7 pre amp tubes. and two driver tubes. I replaced all the front end tubes a while ago with Golden lion AX7s, sounds so good, When I get the cash I am going to replace the output stage with Golden lion KT88.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Darkglass amp taken off the market. Only getting lousy trade offers for it.
Apparently dutch musicians have no money. I will keep all of my 8 amps. =)

zomnius

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Real Name
Le roi
Just bought a mesa boogie triple rectifier. ( I know) and want to try an elf for bass. Anyone?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I love the tone of my mark bass classic 300 head. Have you had any issues with your one?

Actually yes. I got it second hand from the Oz Bass forum on the cheap because the LCD screen doesnt turn off he auto bias section. thats it! 6k amp all mine for just over a grand.

tube heat
tube bias...........forever

i can live with that.

Reaction score
Actually yes. I got it second hand from the Oz Bass forum on the cheap because the LCD screen doesnt turn off he auto bias section. thats it! 6k amp all mine for just over a grand.

tube heat
tube bias...........forever

i can live with that.

yeah mine had an issue where it would bias then not pass audio and would show zero voltage to tubes. I found that from the power transformer into the board one of the pins was black from lots of current over time. I got it hard wired and its been mint ever since. It does say tube failure a lot but I think it says failure if the tube is too far from its partner. (matched) I got mine for just over a grand also but it had obviously been dropped which is why i got a custom sleeve made. I run mine in HD mode all the time which it most likely why it eats tubes for breakfast ha ha. Love the tone though and everyone comments on how good it sounds. Ever played a guitar through yours? its amazing,
my guitarist still remembers that day ha ha

PaulS

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
This is my basic rig, 1x15 with a 2.5 XL (2 10" and 1 5"). I also have a full 4 x 10 that Ioriginally used, but would take whichever was needed for the gig. Head is a Hartke HA2000

IMG_2137.JPG

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Oh crap I just had to... Because this is the best sounding bass amp on the planet. True story!

allvalve.jpg

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
EQ setting is for a P bass BTW. Cut subs, raise lows, raise trebs more.A P bass lacks highs and lows.
With W basses you can simply switch the EQ off.

Top Bottom