Rockbass Streamer STD 5 pickups issue?

Reaction score
I have a 2005 German Corvette $$ 5-string that's my beater.
I was going to rout it for MM pickups with ears instead of the Stingray 5 soapbar just bc I have more options.....and they look cooler.

I really like Nordstands lately.

I might take the neck's shoulders down a little bc it's always felt like a bat.

Everytime I think about what retail was on this bass 12 years ago vs now, I take it out of my dirty laundry basket and throw it on the couch. I actually bought a gig bag for it today on Amazon bc it's spent most of its life in an Ikea laundry basket.

I ordered some parts bc the JAN2 broke so long ago I noticed surface rust on the strings and thought, are these strings really 10-years old?

Randomly found a Thumb 5 I forgot I even owned, I swore I sold it in college, that was like 20 years ago.

I mean, I remember selling it so it's kinda puzzling that I still have it. It is very possible the dude that bought it left it to pick up later and it's just kinda moved with me since. He did buy a Mesa 400 with a matching Road Ready 2x10 off me that day in a big package deal. I clearly remember the giant wad of 100's in my pocket and hitting a strip club with my dorm mates that nights at their suggestion. I barely drank or tipped, I just had my hand on my pocket the whole night. I think one dancer thought something weird was going on bc my buddy paid for this group lap dance and she looked at me funny the whole time.

Oh well, it's just stuff.

You want pickups, I'll straight give you mine if I gut my $$, you pay shipping.
I'd assume the ones in a German $$ are better, but they might not be.

Oh, someone wrapped it in duct tape like a mummy thinking it was funny.
I never bothered to clean the adhesive off the pickup covers, seriously.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I must confessed,its a very entertaining story.you made my day.

Thank you
Yustech

Reaction score
Wow. "Somebrains" really live up to his name. I have to pick up these "Cheech & Chong"-movies again.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Ok, they have low output. But what if you wired them up in SERIES?

Reaction score
The bobbins of the pickups are wired parallel inside the pickups, and they come in an epoxy-casted enclosure, so it's pretty much impossible to rearrange the bobbins connections without destroying the pickups in the process. Even wiring the pickups in series with each other would give a lower value (from 2k to 3.2k) than the lowest jazz bass pickup (3.8k) but it should have a reasonable output then.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
The bobbins of the pickups are wired parallel inside the pickups, and they come in an epoxy-casted enclosure, so it's pretty much impossible to rearrange the bobbins connections without destroying the pickups in the process. Even wiring the pickups in series with each other would give a lower value (from 2k to 3.2k) than the lowest jazz bass pickup (3.8k) but it should have a reasonable output then.

Absolutely, you can't rewire the individual coils within one pickup. I was referring to connecting the two pickups in series, but this was a trick question. Out of the two conductors, one of them is ground. So connecting hot of one pickup with ground of the other would involve fetching into the signal *noise* from the shielding of one of the two pickups. I think. That's why I asked. If this is the case, I don't know how much of a problem the noise would be in practice.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Yes you can.It'll improve the output a bit and in series,hum will be eliminated too.

Are you sure? One of the pickup grounds will not be grounded. Whatever the shielding picks up will go into the signal, isn't that so?

Also, I think the output volume will be something like 1.5x to 2.0x the original.

Reaction score
Are you sure? One of the pickup grounds will not be grounded. Whatever the shielding picks up will go into the signal, isn't that so?

Also, I think the output volume will be something like 1.5x to 2.0x the original.

Yes I am but you MUST ground one of the wire.I've done it on a two pickup bass guitar in the past with one add on.
Refer the Seymour Duncan wiring below as reference point(s).I agree you'll get twice(2.0) the output also due to bigger and wider magnetic field from both pickup running in series.However doing series on one of the RB pickup isn't possible.Reason being it's two conductor and fully epoxied.Hope this helps.
By the way what year is your RB?

Last edited:

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Yes I am but you MUST ground one of the wire.I've done it on a two pickup bass guitar in the past with one add on.
Refer the Seymour Duncan wiring below as reference point(s).I agree you'll get twice(2.0) the output also due to bigger and wider magnetic field from both pickup running in series.However doing series on one of the RB pickup isn't possible.Reason being it's two conductor and fully epoxied.Hope this helps.
By the way what year is your RB?

I don't have one but I might get one just to test it out. :p

Reaction score
I don't have one but I might get one just to test it out. :p

I advise you to TEST it out with your ear comparing with another passive basses and also bring along a DMM(I bring mine anywhere now just in case I bump with another MecWick).Make sure the particular RB pickup isn't under 1.6kohm or 1kohm DCR(each).If you come across a 6kohms DCR or above then GET THAT ONE IMMEDIATELY.

Saves you the trouble on after market add ons like preamp,turbo super duper after burner boost circuit/apps or customising all knobs on the amp to eleven(for your initial journey).Just want to make sure the orange does not only appear like one but taste like it suppose to be too.;)

Beautiful design and the wood resonates amazingly.At least one of the two I've tried so far.Rumours has it every dawn and dusk the trees were vibrated with pitch fork(all 12 notes) since they were babies.Even the chainsaw used to cut them down is tune to low B.Though nowadays I tend to not trust every rumours that pass by especially from a blog down in east asia.:D

There's a link up there somewhere to my blog for your perusing regarding this RB anomaly.Good luck Jester in finding your chosen one.When you do,its hard to put it down.They're very ergo to setup,joy to play,easy to tune and loud* too.

*result may vary

All the best
Thank you

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
I advise you to TEST it out with your ear comparing with another passive basses and also bring along a DMM(I bring mine anywhere now just in case I bump with another MecWick).Make sure the particular RB pickup isn't under 1.6kohm or 1kohm DCR(each).If you come across a 6kohms DCR or above then GET THAT ONE IMMEDIATELY.

Saves you the trouble on after market add ons like preamp,turbo super duper after burner boost circuit/apps or customising all knobs on the amp to eleven(for your initial journey).Just want to make sure the orange does not only appear like one but taste like it suppose to be too.;)

Beautiful design and the wood resonates amazingly.At least one of the two I've tried so far.Rumours has it every dawn and dusk the trees were vibrated with pitch fork(all 12 notes) since they were babies.Even the chainsaw used to cut them down is tune to low B.Though nowadays I tend to not trust every rumours that pass by especially from a blog down in east asia.:D

There's a link up there somewhere to my blog for your perusing regarding this RB anomaly.Good luck Jester in finding your chosen one.When you do,its hard to put it down.They're very ergo to setup,joy to play,easy to tune and loud* too.

*result may vary

All the best
Thank you

Thanks for your effort to help my friend, much appreciated! Lately I find out that rumors are true more often than not. :)

Reaction score
For those who wish to upgrade they could consider Bartolini W4CBC series.Dimension looks good. Sounds like will go to eleven.

W4CBC-B - 7.2kohm DCR (Neck)
W4CBC-T - 10kohm DCR (Bridge)

Technical info provided by a very helpful Doug Somervell of Bartolini responsible support desk.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
For those who wish to upgrade they could consider Bartolini W4CBC series.Dimension looks good. Sounds like will go to eleven.

W4CBC-B - 7.2kohm DCR (Neck)
W4CBC-T - 10kohm DCR (Bridge)

Technical info provided by a very helpful Doug Somervell of Bartolini responsible support desk.

They should be very cool puppies but they cost ouch! Especially compared to the actual cost of the bass. If one digs the bass lots, they would be justified of course...

Reaction score
They should be very cool puppies but they cost ouch! Especially compared to the actual cost of the bass. If one digs the bass lots, they would be justified of course...

Price wise,I can't comment on that.Am not an expert of the raw material of these electromagnetic but I
know the stated price means 4.5 times my country colour paper.
People must be buying it somewhere,the reason Bart still makes them.I think I saw this pickup shape on a Washburn sometime ago.Could be a cheaper version.
Yes a substantial ouch prior but could mean a huge wow after,but if some dig the stock electronics a lot then swapping it would be a mistake or a waste.lol

Reaction score
Ok, they have low output. But what if you wired them up in SERIES?
Sorry for necroing the tread, but that's actually a pretty decent solution.
Sold the pickups on my project bass (which is based on Streamer STD) and decided to put old MEC's in it while I haven't bought any replacement. I have 2 dtdp switches in it for parallel/series/split switching. Since they were out of use now (pickups got only 2 contacts), I've decided to do series/parallel switching for both pickups with one of the switches.
Signal output in series is pretty damn usable. Would've done this mod ages ago if I knew about it. No sure about tone tho. The sound is quite similar, but parallel seems a bit brighter to me. Internal preamp makes quite a nice difference too.
So yeah.. if you're stuck with an old Streamer STD and are bothered by it's low output, parallel/series switch is a pretty cheap and cool mod that can somewhat solve your problem.
PS. Another option is getting new MEC pickups. I remember seeing 6k MECs on aliexpress really cheap once.

Top Bottom