Show Us Your Amps Then!

Reaction score
Just checked out that clip - how do you get your Quad VI to distort like that?!
My G&L L2000 basses have the clip light going yellow-orange from about 10am on the input gain, but even when dimed I only get a bit of fluffy\farty overdrive.

Reaction score
Just checked out that clip - how do you get your Quad VI to distort like that?!
My G&L L2000 basses have the clip light going yellow-orange from about 10am on the input gain, but even when dimed I only get a bit of fluffy\farty overdrive.

I just crank the gain. As I said, my unit starts clipping kinda fast. Maybe it's really the preamp tubes that are different. The ones I currently use are Tesla, I believe.

Reaction score
Real Name
Tom Baker
my amp...a rather pedestrian affair.

IMG_1781.jpg
hball.jpg

Reaction score
I just crank the gain. As I said, my unit starts clipping kinda fast. Maybe it's really the preamp tubes that are different. The ones I currently use are Tesla, I believe.

Last question I promise :)
Are your preamp tubes 12ax7 or something else?

Reaction score
Well that's gracious. I'll have to admit I've never had a negative response on this board, including classifieds.

Got another question then

Would anyone know - if I run a preamp into the effects send would run through the EL84 power tube or bypass it?

Reaction score
Would anyone know - if I run a preamp into the effects send would run through the EL84 power tube or bypass it?

Let me get this straight: you want the output of a certain preamp to go through the powertube of the Quad, right?

That won't work since the fx loop sits after the quadrumatrix, which includes the powertube. At least that's what I gather from the schematic in the manual. This goes d'accord with my experience in using the return of the amp as a poweramp only. Changing settings on the amp doesn't effect the output.

Reaction score
Sweet, no problem. Thats exactly the answer I was after!
I might try some preamp tube changes and report back with results.
Thanks all.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
FXloop after a powertube? OK. Nice touch.
Maybe they designed it in order to have clean effects (like delays, flangers, phasers, chorii etc.) on top of a driven sound.

This week I've mainly been using one of my cheapest amps - the Tech21 VT500. It is really really nice for not-so-clean rubbery phat tone.
Compared it directly to the Trace Elliot AH300-12 (Gibson era) and it clearly beats that at sounding "big". The old Trace however is a lot more flexible.

Each amp has their pros and cons I guess. How am I ever supposed to cut down on the amount of amps I have? I am so lost...

zomnius

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Real Name
Le roi
what is a helix? (must be light than that AH500x hehehe)

zomnius

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Real Name
Le roi
picking up an old fender 2x15 cab for grabs. yum

Top Bottom